Texas Fishing Forum

Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00

Posted By: 4Weight

Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/04/21 05:18 PM

Looking for info please. Thanks in advance.

4W
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/04/21 05:24 PM

Swimming, pitching or dragging?

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/04/21 06:06 PM

Mainly pitching
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/04/21 07:26 PM

They arent the beefiest....but im a big fan of Phenix! I got a Phenix Feather Heavy that I use as my "jig rod"...put that in quotes because it has a good tip and good backbone.....but im not sure its the meat stick you want when fishing the real nasty stuff. But if you dont need a meat stick....those phenix are fire. Pay attention to the butt/handle/grip length to make sure you like it. Some are shorter than what Im used to from other rods....but i actually like the shorter buts because I think they help fling the baits a little better since your hands are a little closer to one another.

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/04/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bockscar
They arent the beefiest....but im a big fan of Phenix! I got a Phenix Feather Heavy that I use as my "jig rod"...put that in quotes because it has a good tip and good backbone.....but im not sure its the meat stick you want when fishing the real nasty stuff. But if you dont need a meat stick....those phenix are fire. Pay attention to the butt/handle/grip length to make sure you like it. Some are shorter than what Im used to from other rods....but i actually like the shorter buts because I think they help fling the baits a little better since your hands are a little closer to one another.

Love the Maxim by them will give that one a look . Thank you !

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/04/21 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight

Yea, im slowly becoming a convert to them. They always impress me when challenged. Googling...ive read that lots of custom rod makers even use the Phenix blanks, so thats gotta tell you something.

Just looked....they got an Xtra heavy...i bet thatd be a killer if you need a meat stick! the heavy i use is great tho too if you dont.

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/04/21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight

Yea, im slowly becoming a convert to them. They always impress me when challenged. Googling...ive read that lots of custom rod makers even use the Phenix blanks, so thats gotta tell you something.

Just looked....they got an Xtra heavy...i bet thatd be a killer if you need a meat stick! the heavy i use is great tho too if you dont.

woot
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/04/21 08:51 PM

Falcon Amistad
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/04/21 09:16 PM

Dobyns Sierra 735 is right around your price range. Good rod for pitching. Great tip action and plenty of backbone.

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/04/21 10:45 PM

Thanks guys will give them all a look.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 12:04 AM

iRod Gen III Fred's Magic Stick. Very versatile rod - pitch, flip, frog. And it's only $150.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 01:39 AM

Throw 24 more dollars in and get you a Mega Bass Levante, they have 2 or 3 rods that would be great for jigs, the Perfect pitch is one of them.
Posted By: Southern

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 02:00 AM

Ark Tharp series Hammer or Money Maker ! Dang good rods for 129.00$ and pitches jigs great !
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 02:02 AM

I'd throw a tree branch before I threw a Dobyns...

Falcon Lowrider is what you're looking for

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
Throw 24 more dollars in and get you a Mega Bass Levante, they have 2 or 3 rods that would be great for jigs, the Perfect pitch is one of them.

arent these the same rods that Megabass had to recall?
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Joel McBride
Falcon Amistad

+1
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Happykamper

arent these the same rods that Megabass had to recall?

They have an all new line of them out now, i think there are 12 rods in the lavante line up, I have 4 of them , so far they are great.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 12:57 PM

Falcon Amistad

Or the Heavy Cover Jig...or the Flipping. Both are good choices. But gotta be a Low Rider at that price point.

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 08:04 PM

Thank you all for the feedback.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Falcon Amistad

Or the Heavy Cover Jig...or the Flipping. Both are good choices. But gotta be a Low Rider at that price point.

Falcon Amistad Low Rider on ebay is like 99.99 just last week when I bought two of them.

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Falcon Amistad

Falcon Amistad Low Rider on ebay is like 99.99 just last week when I bought two of them.

Good info thanks.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 10:24 PM

I do like the irod genesis rods
or you could purchase two heavy Ethos (the blue ones) rods from Academy for $170.
Just as good as many $150 rods

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429

Wow, what do you not like about the Dobyns rods, and which Dobyns rod are you referring to?
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 11:09 PM

There are a couple Low Riders that would fit your needs for sale in the classifieds right now.

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by dk2429

Wow, what do you not like about the Dobyns rods, and which Dobyns rod are you referring to?

I’ve tried Dobyns too. I gladly sold two of them for a little over half of what I paid for them, then returned the last one without a receipt and was happy to get $49 credit!

Horrible rods, IMO. These were the green ones(Boom Boom) ..about $219 each and one Fury that was $129. They were dull, “lifeless”, tip heavy, and heavy overall. I caught a few fish with each one...all of them gut hooked because I couldn’t feel the bite with those rods.

I hope everyone I fish against uses them!
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 11:35 PM

Bring it on Steez!! fish

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
Bring it on Steez!! fish

roflmao
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/05/21 11:56 PM

I own 3 or 4 Dobyns champions and like them. They are definitely not the most sensitive rods but the fish down south bite harder and fight harder than any Bass in Texas. They are over his price point though.
Posted By: SWH

Re: Feedback on Jig Rod Under 175.00 - 04/06/21 01:45 AM

Just sold a Falcon Amistad to buy a Lowrider Heavy Cover Jig. Hoping it is better equipped for 1/2oz and below jigs.

Amazon had it for $122.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum