Texas Fishing Forum

Neck fusion

Posted By: RDLFish

Neck fusion - 03/28/21 05:00 PM

Anyone ever had neck fusion (cervical dissection and fusion) and how did effect your fishing and riding in a boat? Thanks
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Neck fusion - 03/28/21 05:19 PM

Yep, three level in 2013. I can't stand a severe pounding for very long. I always have some livable pain in my neck and shoulders, not like before the surgery when I couldn't even function. I have a Champion 201 bass boat and it will handle most water I will ever be out on. I can't stand the pounding from flat bottom boats on rough water at all.

After the surgery, I was in great shape and was really happy. Then, 13 months after the surgery, my wife and I got rear-ended at about 70 MPH by a kid playing with his telephone. Damaged the discs both above and below the fusion and my wife sustained a brain injury and has dementia today because of it.

If your neck is in really bad shape, as mine was (degenerative disc disease caused by age and genetics, not a previous injury), I wouldn't fear the surgery. I think that if the wreck had not happened, I would have been great.

The pain I have know is livable, I take a drug called Gabapentin twice a day, and occasionally take ibuprofen, and do fine.

Wayne
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: Neck fusion - 03/28/21 05:43 PM

I had 3 vertebrae fused in lower neck about 2004. Felt great as soon as I woke up and better after recovery 30 days or so later. Only problem now is I can’t turn my head as far left and right as far as before. Have to turn my body some to look behind me. No pain and rough water or bumpy roads cause no problem. My strong advice if you have it done is follow post op instructions to the letter to let it heal properly.

Re: Neck fusion - 03/28/21 05:52 PM

Sorry to hear about your terrible wreck. I’m just not sure I want the surgery.

Re: Neck fusion - 03/28/21 05:53 PM

Thanks how long after surgery until you were allowed to return to fishing.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Neck fusion - 03/28/21 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by RDLFish
Thanks how long after surgery until you were allowed to return to fishing.

Just tell em fishing is therapy.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Neck fusion - 03/28/21 09:10 PM

I understand your concerns especially with this relentless wind last couple months! Neck and lower back 2 years ago. Neck AGAIN 2 months ago. After that #%€! neck brace came off I was back to everything including fishing. God speed to you also! My boat is hooked up & leaving for Hubbard Creek in the morning.

Re: Neck fusion - 03/28/21 09:17 PM

Thanks and good luck.

Re: Neck fusion - 03/28/21 09:18 PM

That’s what I plan on doing. Thanks
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Neck fusion - 03/28/21 09:55 PM

Fusion for C 5, 6,and 7 about 20 years ago. No problems but I don't push it when it is rough. Best thing I ever did for myself to get rid of pain and problems. Three month recovery time and started slow then.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Neck fusion - 03/28/21 11:18 PM

C5/6/7 done 2008 no problems fishing or cross country motorcycle trips .Can't sleep on my stomach anymore. Dr. Andrew Dossett, Carroll Clinic Dallas.
you will discover your limits.
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Neck fusion - 03/29/21 03:28 PM

C4-C7 Dec 2015. Within 3 months I could fish and ride in a boat pain free. After a couple of years, I regained almost all normal range of motion in my neck. It's a scary operation, but the pain (shoulder and arm) got so bad that I don't think I would have survived without it.

Re: Neck fusion - 03/30/21 01:15 AM

I went to the doctor today after my mri Friday to go over the results. All discs in my neck have degenerated and one is compressing a nerve causing my shoulder, arm, and hand numbness and pain. Plan is to try physical therapy first to releave the pain to be livable. Surgery may be down the line.
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Neck fusion - 03/30/21 02:39 AM

I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was great until we had the wreck. I don't have a full range of motion but I have enough that its not a problem. It really improved my quality of life.

Wayne
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum