Texas Fishing Forum

Yellow Magic

Posted By: pinetree

Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 02:04 AM

So is there a easy way to get the heat shrink hook protectors off a new Yellow Magic with out ending up in the ER with a hook in your finger. Those things are tough to get off.
Posted By: JerryC

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 02:07 AM

I twist them counter-clockwise and most of them come off pretty easily. If not I cut down the edge with scissors.
Hope it works for you.

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 03:15 AM

Thank I have been trying the little scissors down the side. I ruined one of the feathered tails manhandling it. I’ll try the twist deal. 2 more to go.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 08:37 AM

Agreed. Those “hook protectors” that have always been on all Yellow Magic baits have always been a PITA! I run a knife blade down the outside edge of the hook to cut off that little red cover off.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 11:41 AM

Leave em on, then complain about the hookup ratio! roflmao
It’s happened on here before...I promise.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 01:32 PM

I've melted a couple off with a lighter that I couldn't get off by slicing on it. PITA.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 02:06 PM

I use the large fingernail clippers.
Posted By: ksalmon

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 04:17 PM

The twist is the best way. Just be sure your fingers are dry. I remove them all as soon as I buy them. It’s harder out on the water when your fingers can get wet and pruned.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 07:25 PM

I buy Magnum Rebel Pop R's and then don't worry about the hook covers.

Have caught more fish in the back of the boat throwing a Pop R than guys in the front throwing Yellow Magics and Rico's. There are places I will spend more money, poppers aren't one of them.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 07:31 PM

I leave them on I don't get hung up as much with them on

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 07:55 PM

Update. Put a fresh blade in a box cutter and made quick work of it much better than small scissors or pocket knife. No excuses for me now and I will remember the twist thing if a razor isn’t handy.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 08:35 PM

First one I had new out of the box last Fall at Lake Degray SP - drove up (no boat) to a shallow area back of a creek and massive shad school with occasional blowups. Rigging up quick and starting trying to pull the hook covers off while big fish busting. Resorted to trying to chomp and pull them off with my teeth - SCARY! Didn’t catch any bass but foul hooked about 10 shad, those hooks are sharp. bang
Posted By: Buchbass2

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/22/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
I buy Magnum Rebel Pop R's and then don't worry about the hook covers.

Have caught more fish in the back of the boat throwing a Pop R than guys in the front throwing Yellow Magics and Rico's. There are places I will spend more money, poppers aren't one of them.

I agree!!!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by pinetree
So is there a easy way to get the heat shrink hook protectors off a new Yellow Magic with out ending up in the ER with a hook in your finger. Those things are tough to get off.

Use a sharp knife and cut the plastic off at the top of the hook. Pretty simple.
If you have trouble with that, maybe you should just sit at home and watch fishing shows.

Well on second thought don't use a sharp knife, you might cut yourself. have your wife or girl friend remove the plastic hook guard for you.

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 01:57 AM

Dude you need to learn to read a room and I can almost guarantee I have spent more time on the water and the woods than someone who has 14,000 post. Have fun trolling.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 02:00 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 12:10 PM

Dude you need to learn to read a room and I can almost guarantee I have spent more time on the water and the woods than someone who has 14,000 post. Have fun trolling.

Really??? How can you "almost guarantee" that you have spent more time on the water and in the woods than me? You don't know anything about me. I am a country boy, grew up on a farm. I am 63 and have been fishing and hunting since I was 7 years old. One thing you can be sure of is that you have spent more time in the ER than I ever have. LOL you have trouble removing that little plastic hook guard. Funny

BTW what is "read a room" ?????
Posted By: Razor63

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

Really??? How can you "almost guarantee" that you have spent more time on the water and in the woods than me? You don't know anything about me. I am a country boy, grew up on a farm. I am 63 and have been fishing and hunting since I was 7 years old. One thing you can be sure of is that you have spent more time in the ER than I ever have. LOL you have trouble removing that little plastic hook guard. Funny

Feel the burn!!! de
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

That’s “situational awareness” for guys our age. Lol. We learned in the field how to address friendlies and hostiles. Nowadays, it’s a room with air conditioning. roflmao

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 01:24 PM

Who knew a Yellow Magic doubled as a jerk bait, it sure caught 1 with you.” Read a room” is in reference to my OP was me sarcastically complaining those hook protectors are a pain in the [censored] and if you notice those that commented referenced the hook sharpness and added their sarcasm as well. You at 63 years old who should have learned by now that “if you can’t say something nice don’t say it” were the only person who went off on a rant full of assumptions. I’m sure when you sit behind your computer and go off on people it makes you feel superior but you need to learn some manners. What if I was some kid or anybody that needed some help. If you cant be constructive move on to your next post nearing 15,000 nobody’s going to miss you. By the way I currently live on a ranch on the water. I never left the woods been doing it my whole life. Good day sir.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 01:44 PM

Let us all get our binky's and blankets I need everyone to come sit down in a circle. Now Tommy, when we talk to others.............................................................................................................

Someone's panties are showing
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 01:48 PM

Just change the hooks.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Topwater2
Just change the hooks.

roflmao
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger1
Let us all get our binky's and blankets I need everyone to come sit down in a circle. Now Tommy, when we talk to others.............................................................................................................

Someone's panties are showing

At the very least they are in a wad! gumshoe
Posted By: Buchbass2

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 09:59 PM

I thought as much as that lure cost you wouldn't have to change the hooks. lol

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/23/21 10:03 PM

Who knew a Yellow Magic doubled as a jerk bait, it sure caught 1 with you.” Read a room” is in reference to my OP was me sarcastically complaining those hook protectors are a pain in the [censored] and if you notice those that commented referenced the hook sharpness and added their sarcasm as well. You at 63 years old who should have learned by now that “if you can’t say something nice don’t say it” were the only person who went off on a rant full of assumptions. I’m sure when you sit behind your computer and go off on people it makes you feel superior but you need to learn some manners. What if I was some kid or anybody that needed some help. If you cant be constructive move on to your next post nearing 15,000 nobody’s going to miss you. By the way I currently live on a ranch on the water. I never left the woods been doing it my whole life. Good day sir.

No need to get upset. I was just kidding. Just use a sharp pocket knife and cut the plastic off the hook. That's what I do. I do agree that those little hooks are very sharp.

Re: Yellow Magic - 03/24/21 02:30 PM

No problem just seemed as if you came out of left field on me with a very non controversial post about a fishing lure. To be honest my original post was me lightheartedly joking about those little sharp hooks. If you look in my box you would see about 10 yellow Magic’s it’s really the only popper I throw and I’m telling you I have never struggled with that little red piece before like the other night. Take care and tight lines.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum