Texas Fishing Forum

$10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death

Posted By: Lone_Wolf

$10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/20/21 10:50 PM

eeks
https://www.wired2fish.com/fishing-...nnection-with-high-school-anglers-death/
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/20/21 10:54 PM

Scummy lawyers
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 12:10 AM

Wasn't the story they had boat trouble, but the boat captain thought the boat was good enough to fish close to the take off?

Posted By: WAWI

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 12:19 AM

I believe I posted several times about potential liability of captaining, stuff like this can bring it to a screeching halt when districts around the country see this. Yes, this is WAWI told you so post.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI
I believe I posted several times about potential liability of captaining, stuff like this can bring it to a screeching halt when districts around the country see this. Yes, this is WAWI told you so post.

The "Grow the sport" movement is partly to blame. They should have added boating isn't as simple and safe as some think it is all of the time.

A short lapse in respect for the water and/or mother nature will catch you a dirt nap quickly!

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

The "Grow the sport" movement is partly to blame. They should have added boating isn't as simple and safe as some think it is all of the time.

A short lapse in respect for the water and/or mother nature will catch you a dirt nap quickly!

Yes sir, you have probably seen more of that than anyone. I captained 3 years and will never again take the chance with anyone other than my kid. Sadly it was gonna happen sooner or later. I saw more nonsense in those deals than the countless regular tourneys I have fished for 20 years. I suspect the schools will settle quickly as they will want no part of it.
Posted By: Littledog

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 12:35 AM

Whada ya got when you find a lawyer buried up to his neck at the beach?
Not enough sand.

Agree with the "scummy lawyer" comment.
Article does not elaborate on the claim.
Hard to imagine how there is any responsibility or negligence beyond the boat captain.

While certainly sad, baffling that three fellas of those ages did not manage to get themselves out of trouble.
That dam is manned 24hrs a day with its 2 locks on a major navigation waterway. They constantly monitor the radio and phone.
The spillway portion of the dam is right next to the locks and is 500yds wide.
Cell phones, waving your orange jacket, etc.etc.
The area is also fairly well populated.
Very bad situation.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 12:44 AM

It is a very sad deal indeed. If you read the article it states the captain is the dad of one of the anglers and the lawsuit is brought on by the ex wife of the deceased man and their son. Once again it is a very sad deal no matter if it was a tournament or not.
Posted By: Littledog

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 12:55 AM

Wonder why TVA is not included in the defendant list. Certainly a bigger contributor than the school board.
TVA has a 600yd (?) "Keep Out" zone short of the dam to help prevent these situations.
Normally, even getting barely inside that area gets some pretty swift and harsh attention.
(No need to ask me how I know.)

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 01:00 AM

I carry 500k liability on boat and have a good sized umbrella policy over the top. Numbers like they are throwing around would go way beyond and get into my pocket. It's right to be careful what you sign up for.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 01:04 AM

I carry 500k liability on boat and have a good sized umbrella policy over the top. Numbers like they are throwing around would go way beyond and get into my pocket. It's right to be careful what you sign up for.

Yup 500k plus a 1 mil umbrella, I think I'd lose it if someone came at me for 10 mil, not that I have it, but the thought of getting wiped out. People are need to realize all activity has risk, you go fishing a million things can go wrong- every man for himself.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ken Starling
It is a very sad deal indeed. If you read the article it states the captain is the dad of one of the anglers and the lawsuit is brought on by the ex wife of the deceased man and their son. Once again it is a very sad deal no matter if it was a tournament or not.

So ultimately it was the womans ex husband who shoulders most of the responsibility here and she is sueing everyone else. What a world. Sad deal for sure. People need to use better judgement out on the water. The disappointment of missing out on a tournament is far more appealing than the disappointment of fishing my last tournament, especially if it was 100% preventable. The kids would have been very upset for sure but they would have gotten over it.
Posted By: gut hooked

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 01:34 AM

edited
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 02:02 AM

I once thought about volunteering to be a captain, realized that would be a mistake when the group was disqualified because the captain helped to get a lure unstuck from the shallow rocks. No way I’m risking what I own, for trying to be helpful.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 02:19 AM

A coach at one of our local schools tried to start a team. The school board looked into it and talked to some other captains. Some of these captains told him stories about some of the dangerous incidents they had witnessed that were basically swept under the rug, school board came back with the answer absolutely not. Thinking this was a wise decision now.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 02:37 AM

Most captains are 100% responsible and safe and the whole deal is set up with safety first, here in Texas.

But, it only takes one irresponsible captain to kill a couple of kids trying to fish for fun and prizes. It's a touchy subject for sure.

I can say with 100% confidence that tackle and equipment manufacturers have been the biggest winners of the school fishing explosion.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by gut hooked
Liability will be called at the total value of the insurance. The insurance companies will likely tender limits and the case will settle. Lawyers won't sue if they can't collect generally speaking. And no one would get wiped out if they have any sense. A quick bankruptcy as a last ditch move will protect most assets.

I try and avoid things that necessitate a quick bankruptcy......

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 03:13 AM

Liability will be called at the total value of the insurance. The insurance companies will likely tender limits and the case will settle. Lawyers won't sue if they can't collect generally speaking. And no one would get wiped out if they have any sense. A quick bankruptcy as a last ditch move will protect most assets.

Lol that's exactly what I was thinking. grin
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

Totally Agree! thumb
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 01:19 PM

What is missed is it appears the ex-wife of the captain is suing.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 01:31 PM

Really? My guess is everybody does. That's why they are called accidents and not "on purposes". Everybody tries to avoid them but sometimes they find you........and when they do, and you get sued, you can remember this post and you'll be saved. You're welcome.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bass Junkie

How is that missed, its right in the wired2fish story.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

How is that missed, it right in the wired2fish story.

I dont think its missed, someone cant just sue on behalf of anybody.
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 01:43 PM

Such a bad deal all the way around.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 01:58 PM

Really? My guess is everybody does. That's why they are called accidents and not "on purposes". Everybody tries to avoid them but sometimes they find you........and when they do, and you get sued, you can remember this post and you'll be saved. You're welcome.

This wont be about the accident, this will be about all the training, supervision, procedures, etc. This will be about due diligence. They will march in expert witnesses, tear apart every piece of paper, want documentation on safety meetings, etc etc. The lawyers will smell blood in the water like sharks on this. I think the fact that they were allowed to launch and compete it a non working boat is not gonna sit well with a 60 year old grandmother on a jury and the insurance companies will know that.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 03:23 PM

I hope most of the boaters on here are going to continue captaining kids clubs and school clubs.

Like I'm not going to take the kids fishing because I'm concerned about potential liabililty?

nah

I would like to sue one kids parents because he spilled grape pop all over my back deck, he was nearly killed.
Posted By: 361V

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 04:35 PM

Preface: Sad deal any time someone dies an untimely death. That said life is hazardous. Period. Especially if you actually live life. The parents allowed those kids to fish correct? It’s called a tragic ACCIDENT! Dam our litigious society!
Posted By: Greg W

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 04:45 PM

So I had a plan this year to take kids from single mother families from church fishing. I have some areas where I can pretty much guarantee catching 20+ sand bass in an hour. If a kid's never driven a boat or fished it would be a blast for them. Course you'd need a 2nd adult for obvious reasons. As my boat's a center console, would be a bit safer than a bass boat as you can't just walk over the edge. I'm not worried about them drowning at my home lake. We don't even have a real spillway like this. Just drainage towers that don't generate that much pull force. But there is liability in a kid hooking his eye or face or something. I'd just get some zebco reels to make it easy but still.

What are your thoughts on something like this? Too risky? I'm retiring in a couple of years and was thinking this could be a regular ministry to young kids that spend too much time in front of a screen.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by beeflover
I hope most of the boaters on here are going to continue captaining kids clubs and school clubs.

Like I'm not going to take the kids fishing because I'm concerned about potential liabililty?

nah

I would like to sue one kids parents because he spilled grape pop all over my back deck, he was nearly killed.

uhhhh, were you the one that allowed the grape pop on the boat?

just sayin.

(pop? dang yankee word!)
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 05:31 PM

Exactly, the boat captain is the only one to blame for using bad judgement.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Greg W
So I had a plan this year to take kids from single mother families from church fishing. I have some areas where I can pretty much guarantee catching 20+ sand bass in an hour. If a kid's never driven a boat or fished it would be a blast for them. Course you'd need a 2nd adult for obvious reasons. As my boat's a center console, would be a bit safer than a bass boat as you can't just walk over the edge. I'm not worried about them drowning at my home lake. We don't even have a real spillway like this. Just drainage towers that don't generate that much pull force. But there is liability in a kid hooking his eye or face or something. I'd just get some zebco reels to make it easy but still.

What are your thoughts on something like this? Too risky? I'm retiring in a couple of years and was thinking this could be a regular ministry to young kids that spend too much time in front of a screen.

I would do it man. You can't live your life saying I wish I woulda-coulda-shoulda. You'll be pouring into those kids' lives memories that will last forever. Those memories will be priceless for the kids and the parents.

Call your insurance company and get an umbrella policy for $1mm. It'll be less than $300/ yearly.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/21/21 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Call your insurance company and get an umbrella policy for $1mm. It'll be less than $300/ yearly.

I also have a million dollar umbrella policy. It not only covers the house, car/truck and boat related stuff, but it also covers me for the potential stupid actions of my teenage kids as long as their activity was not flat out illegal.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by PowerLizard
Originally Posted by Ken A.

I also have a million dollar umbrella policy. It not only covers the house, car/truck and boat related stuff, but it also covers me for the potential stupid actions of my teenage kids as long as their activity was not flat out illegal.

Yes as you get older and have more assets the umbrella policy is a must IMO.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 03:11 AM

You dont drive every day?

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Greg W

Dont let this scare you, everything you do in public runs the risk of someone suing you if something happens. If your that worried about it, get a waiver for the patents or guardians to sign
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 03:20 AM

frown

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by the skipper

Yep and I carry appropriate insurance that will hopefully cover, hopefully. And got hook, if it was capped at insurance amount why doesnt everyone just carry minimum, explain that to the class as we are all curious? Its capped at what they think they can get and the more assets you have the more they can get, thus is why you can buy policies in different amounts, umbrellas etc. Your quick bankruptcy plan isnt gonna protect much if you have more than 2 sticks to rub together. And I'm not willing to take a risk to volunteer for an organization that puts my personal assets at risk. That's stupid.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 02:05 PM

And in my opinion what should be going on is the organization should have a massive umbrella and captains who are volunteers should be listed as "additionally insured". On the organizations policies.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 03:00 PM

What they should stop doing is calling it HS fishing. It is not, it is not a UIL sport, it is a private club that uses the HS name. It is like boy Scouts (or it Scouts nowadays) or any other club, but HS fishing or shotgun shooting are definitely not HS sports. If they were they would be regulated with appropriate safety protocols etc. If I happen to go fish my lake and there is a youth tournament going on, I go home. The parents (bless them for spending time with kids) with no boating or fishing experience who then go and buy a fast boat and call themselves a boat captain, are simply dangerous and naively rude.

To the person above considering taking kids from church, get insurance and take them fishing! You won't regret a minute of it although you will work harder at a day of fishing than you ever have before! I have been doing just what you are talking about for several years now and it is a hoot! Even better if you can get the parent to go with you! A fresh fish fry or some fish tacos is a fantastic way to cap off the day and experience!

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 03:06 PM

I agree its not UIL and and should not be called HS fishing, that was one of the other reasons our local school wanted nothing to do with it.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 07:24 PM

It really doesn't matter what actual school districts think. The program does not depend on school districts buying in. Some school districts support it. Some don't. That is the great thing about being a non UIL activity. Those kids can still fish through a community club, 4h, or even through a different school. Is there liability? Sure, there is liability any time you put someone else in your boat. If you enter a tournament that has a coangler system and you wreck, that person will likely sue you. . If you have an accident in a team tournament and kill your partner, their family will likely sue you. I get that emotions always run higher when a kid is involved in a tragic situation, but the liability is the same. You are probably right that many school districts will not support the fishing teams, but that will not kill the program. It will just change the team name on the jersey.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 07:38 PM

Yep and I carry appropriate insurance that will hopefully cover, hopefully. And got hook, if it was capped at insurance amount why doesnt everyone just carry minimum, explain that to the class as we are all curious? Its capped at what they think they can get and the more assets you have the more they can get, thus is why you can buy policies in different amounts, umbrellas etc. Your quick bankruptcy plan isnt gonna protect much if you have more than 2 sticks to rub together. And I'm not willing to take a risk to volunteer for an organization that puts my personal assets at risk. That's stupid.

To each his own. You say it's stupid but your to scared to lose your two sticks so you wouldnt gelp some kids out.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 07:48 PM

I do it and will continue to do it. There is too much good that comes out of it to just hide in the shadows and criticize it.

I can't help but think someone is wanting a new doublewide and a corvette to park in front of it.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 08:31 PM

[quote=gut hooked]Liability will be called at the total value of the insurance. The insurance companies will likely tender limits and the case will settle. Lawyers won't sue if they can't collect generally speaking. And no one would get wiped out if they have any sense. A quick bankruptcy as a last ditch move will protect most assets.

To each his own. You say it's stupid but your to scared to lose your two sticks so you wouldnt gelp some kids out.

Did it for 3 year, toted a couple of kids that arent mine all I over the place. Wont do it again and there is a laundry list of reasons why.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 10:14 PM

Did it for 3 year, toted a couple of kids that arent mine all I over the place. Wont do it again and there is a laundry list of reasons why.

I'm finishing up my first year...not sure about year 2. There's a few reasons not to, but there's more reasons to continue. But reading this scares me. I have good insurance and hope to God I never need to use it.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/22/21 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Jones
Such a bad deal all the way around.

Mark nailed it....just very sad deal, but I captain for a team here and I would NEVER have put a broke down boat inn that water with that rate of water (cf/s) they were pulling...the wife needs to lay the blame where it needs to go, her husband

Example: we just had a tournament on Palestine, if the water level is right, me and my team trail partner normally run to some spots up north and in Flat Creek....I chose NOT to run on plane because the boys were with me and I did t want to hurt anyone if I hit something...it’s all on Captains safety decisions in this tragic case

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 07:26 AM

Lol buddy you need a hug. You are that guy. The class wants to know? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Man I love that one.

Why would you call me out in a public forum? I will tell you that judgments against individuals are rarely pursued beyond policy limits because most people have nothing to collect against. Lawyers will not try to collect a judgment if there is nothing to collect. If you have a large estate, which you claim to, your advisors have put you into coverage sufficient to protect your assets. that is awesome. You are blessed beyond what most people could ever hope to achieve.

For the typical family without the knowledge or wealth you possess, a simple bankruptcy would in most cases discharge an unsecured lability such as an excess judgment from a lawsuit exceeding basic coverage.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 11:58 AM

So you said something stupid and are wrapping yourself in the poor but proud blanket. Got it.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 01:37 PM

Where did you get your law degree, WAWI? You could have a bankruptcy add on television.....1800CALLWAWI for all your bankruptcy needs......you could also sell insurance......hi my name is WAWI and I love insurance....let me insure you....call 1800WAWIINS for all your insurance needs.....this is great.....

But watch your diet .. you seem a little salty......😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 01:52 PM

Where did you get your law degree, WAWI? You could have a bankruptcy add on television.....1800CALLWAWI for all your bankruptcy needs......you could also sell insurance......hi my name is WAWI and I love insurance....let me insure you....call 1800WAWIINS for all your insurance needs.....this is great.....

You were the one giving legal advice that liability was set at insurance amount and a quick bankruptcy would protect the rest. Just admit you were talking out your arse. And you never answered the question, if liability is set at insurance limit why do they sell insurance in different amounts. It's a simple question.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 02:02 PM

Edited

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 02:13 PM

You were the one giving legal advice that liability was set at insurance amount and a quick bankruptcy would protect the rest. Just admit you were talking out your arse. And you never answered the question, if liability is set at insurance limit why do they sell insurance in different amounts. It's a simple question.

Lol.....look at you.....you are funny.......and your pointed questions.....my you are sharp.....I bet you got called on first in class every time...

How about you answer my simple question......it's a chicken egg thing, WAWI, if that is your real name.....where did you go to law school? How many bankruptcies have you filed? Is Bankruptcy your area of expertise? How do you know I am wrong? And why are you soooooooo fixated on arguing this point? Do you have unresolved anger issues stemming from something in your past? Open up, share your feelings.....come on Lawyer WAWI, the class wants to know

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 02:25 PM

WAWI I am bored of your drill bullying tactics and with that, I dismiss you. You may go now.
Posted By: junk baits

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 03:46 PM

interesting read. Gut Hooked where did you get your law degree?

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 04:38 PM

edit

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 04:41 PM

So you said something stupid and are wrapping yourself in the poor but proud blanket. Got it.

roflmao
Posted By: Rob W.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 05:56 PM

popcorn

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 06:00 PM

popcorn

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 06:03 PM

you are picking fights with yourself. I have answered your question ten times. if you take a minute and read what I wrote, what I indicated was that in most civil law suits involving insurance, it is very very rare for judgement holders to pursue collections above and beyond insurance limits. Simply put, most attorneys don't pursue excess judgments unless the insured has assets approaching a financially feasible amount as related to the excess judgment. The term commonly uses to discuss this condition is "judgment proof". That is to say, if there is no money to recover, it is unlikely that anyone would come after you to collect. I say that to say what follows.

In most cases, insurance agents recommend and write policies sufficient to protect the assets of the insured. it sounds like you have been through this process. I would be very surprised to learn that an insurance broker would not recommend writing policies with umbrellas attached to cover a high net worth estate especially considering the minimal cost associated with umbrella coverage. the umbrella vehicles are cheap and easy to write in most cases. Once the low hanging fruit, the value of an insurance policy is collected, most of the time plaintiff's lawyers let sleeping dogs lie.

I have been litigating insurance claims on for insurance companies and individuals for years. I have also litigated cases involving disputes with brokers and agents related to coverage values and umbrellas. I have also litigated cases in bankruptcy court related to insurance disputes, challenges on behalf of judgment creditors trying to collect assets in disputed claims and challenges on behalf of judgment debtors seeking discharge of liabilities.

I don't discuss professional issues on this board for personal reasons. But yeah, I know a thing or two about what the various subjects we are discussing.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 06:13 PM

Pi$$ing contest just seems to go on forever for some of yall.

It's pretty simple. Do it or don't do it.
There are a couple of guys on here that just can't stand HS fishing, kids, puppies or kittens. We know, we get it.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 06:15 PM

I have been litigating insurance claims on for insurance companies

now it makes sense..........

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Pi$$ing contest just seems to go on forever for some of yall.

It's pretty simple. Do it or don't do it.
There are a couple of guys on here that just can't stand HS fishing, kids, puppies or kittens. We know, we get it.

There are more than a couple who don't like high school fishing, it's just a few that will say it out loud in a public forum.

Kudos to those who have done it correctly, but they're in the minority.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman

I have been litigating insurance claims on for insurance companies and individuals for years

nice try though

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 07:33 PM

you are picking fights with yourself. I have answered your question ten times. if you take a minute and read what I wrote, what I indicated was that in most civil law suits involving insurance, it is very very rare for judgement holders to pursue collections above and beyond insurance limits. Simply put, most attorneys don't pursue excess judgments unless the insured has assets approaching a financially feasible amount as related to the excess judgment. The term commonly uses to discuss this condition is "judgment proof". That is to say, if there is no money to recover, it is unlikely that anyone would come after you to collect. I say that to say what follows.

In most cases, insurance agents recommend and write policies sufficient to protect the assets of the insured. it sounds like you have been through this process. I would be very surprised to learn that an insurance broker would not recommend writing policies with umbrellas attached to cover a high net worth estate especially considering the minimal cost associated with umbrella coverage. the umbrella vehicles are cheap and easy to write in most cases. Once the low hanging fruit, the value of an insurance policy is collected, most of the time plaintiff's lawyers let sleeping dogs lie.

I have been litigating insurance claims on for insurance companies and individuals for years. I have also litigated cases involving disputes with brokers and agents related to coverage values and umbrellas. I have also litigated cases in bankruptcy court related to insurance disputes, challenges on behalf of judgment creditors trying to collect assets in disputed claims and challenges on behalf of judgment debtors seeking discharge of liabilities.

I don't discuss professional issues on this board for personal reasons. But yeah, I know a thing or two about what the various subjects we are discussing.

Man WAWI you got under this ones skin LOL

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 07:38 PM

WAWI I am bored of your drill bullying tactics and with that, I dismiss you. You may go now.

You, dismissed him? flehan

(sure you did) rolleyes

Posted By: b00stin4

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 09:49 PM

So.. Let me get this straight.. It looks as though the Wife? of the captain / Mother of one of the kids involved, is the one bringing up the lawsuit?
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by b00stin4
So.. Let me get this straight.. It looks as though the Wife? of the captain / Mother of one of the kids involved, is the one bringing up the lawsuit?

Oh, I thought it was the attorney - need to blame it on the "scummy attorneys," not her - per grandbassslayer

I'm not even in this kind of business, but I find it funny to think that people are so shallow that they see the ambulance chasing attorney as the plaintiff/perpetrator. roflmao

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 09:55 PM

Yes

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 10:00 PM

I love kids, I have been working with boys 12-18 through church for 25 years or so. I absolutely love taking kids fishing, especially if a parent will go. It brings so much joy to see a kid catch a fish! I don't like "HS" fishing tournaments. How about take a kid fishing because it is fun or relaxing or a way to provide a healthy meal instead of teaching them that fishing is about money and that we will do anything including cheating or risking life to win.(the life risking thing happened on Roberts last year everyone just got lucky that time) Fishing is for fun! Relax a little, Wawi and grout-scout especially, go fish, spring spawn is on!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 10:15 PM

I have never been a boat captain but I do give rods, reels, and tackle to kids that want to fish and for whatever reason they can't afford it. I enjoy helping them out in that way. They always text me pictures of their happy face after they were given the equipment I donated to their boat captain to give to them.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 10:19 PM

I have been litigating insurance claims on for insurance companies and individuals for years

nice try though

I was Illustrating that you are a professional arguer.......hence the forceful and repetitive posts with hopes of the last word.

Reminds me a lot of small man syndrome , gotta make sure we know that you know that we know you know.....

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
Wawi and grout-scout especially, go fish, spring spawn is on!

hmmm I would love to hear why you singled us 2 out from this entire thread... popcorn
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 10:21 PM

It refers to her as the mother of Kenneth Driver II, one of the boys who died. I’m guessing, based on this part from the OP’s article, they were divorced, since she’s suing the executor of the captain’s estate.

β€œAccording to Tennessee's Thunderbolt Radio, defendants of the lawsuit include the Obion County School District, the Obion County Board of Education, the Obion County Central High School fishing team, bass fishing coach William Thomas Simmons and Beau Pemberton, who is the administrator of the boat captain Kenneth Driver Sr.'s estate.”

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 10:43 PM

nice try though

I was Illustrating that you are a professional arguer.......hence the forceful and repetitive posts with hopes of the last word.

Reminds me a lot of small man syndrome , gotta make sure we know that you know that we know you know.....

Small man syndrome......lol......nice......you take me out of context, attack my work history and claim I am the problem......you are a very very special person....I like to fight and don't shy from one, never have, never will.....and if a person like you steps to a person like me, I guess we will just butt heads until someone stops.....lots of people try to make an example out of me, don't know the reason, don't care.....but if you're not my dad or a sitting judge, you will quit long before I do.

You will not bully me into silence, you will not misquote me and have me not respond, and I can go on for hours.....what say we both just walk away from this one......
Posted By: 361V

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/23/21 11:19 PM

OK you two! Take it out back or you both are going to time out! πŸ˜‡

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 361V
OK you two! Take it out back or you both are going to time out! πŸ˜‡

roger that
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 12:22 AM

people always want to blame someone else. the captains fault . Its sad but its true
Posted By: Rangerkev

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 12:30 AM

I would think that liability waivers would be mandatory. All parties sign a waiver. Its done at almost every tournament level.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 03:45 PM

I love kids, I have been working with boys 12-18 through church for 25 years or so. I absolutely love taking kids fishing, especially if a parent will go. It brings so much joy to see a kid catch a fish! I don't like "HS" fishing tournaments. How about take a kid fishing because it is fun or relaxing or a way to provide a healthy meal instead of teaching them that fishing is about money and that we will do anything including cheating or risking life to win.(the life risking thing happened on Roberts last year everyone just got lucky that time) Fishing is for fun! Relax a little, Wawi and grout-scout especially, go fish, spring spawn is on!

So if this is the argument - does this mean that football, baseball ' basketball, etc should not be competitive sports in HS? ??
Maybe we should just all go out in the yard and play catch for the "enjoyment " of the sport...
To carry it further, it could be argued that we should all just use a bobber and a worm to truly "experience " the relaxing atmosphere...

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 05:01 PM

So if this is the argument - does this mean that football, baseball ' basketball, etc should not be competitive sports in HS? ??
Maybe we should just all go out in the yard and play catch for the "enjoyment " of the sport...
To carry it further, it could be argued that we should all just use a bobber and a worm to truly "experience " the relaxing atmosphere...

Oh boy, now you did it. Prepare for him to tell you to β€œrelax a little”.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Oh boy, now you did it. Prepare for him to tell you to β€œrelax a little”.

Lol.
It's ok.
I hear what he is saying and it has merit but isnt realistic.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 05:37 PM

The sports you mention are sanctioned UIL sports but yes sometimes playing a sport simply because you love the game is awesome!

My feelings about "HS" tournament fishing can be summed up in this quick analogy. Put 20, 6 year olds on a soccer field where they run and chase the ball and laugh and have a great time. Now add the parents of those kids to the mix who each think their kid is the next soccer phenom and watch how things change. Most of us have seen this played out, it gets ugly in a hurry, not fun for anyone anymore!! Almost embarrassing how adults will behave! Now take those same parents and kids 10 years down the road and put 400-500 of them in Bass Boats all on one lake, and there you have it, HS tournament fishing. It is ugly!

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 05:59 PM

crazy enough I hear parents are booking and paying guides to run boats for their kids for tournaments......absolutely crazy

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 06:09 PM

The sports you mention are sanctioned UIL sports but yes sometimes playing a sport simply because you love the game is awesome!

My feelings about "HS" tournament fishing can be summed up in this quick analogy. Put 20, 6 year olds on a soccer field where they run and chase the ball and laugh and have a great time. Now add the parents of those kids to the mix who each think their kid is the next soccer phenom and watch how things change. Most of us have seen this played out, it gets ugly in a hurry, not fun for anyone anymore!! Almost embarrassing how adults will behave! Now take those same parents and kids 10 years down the road and put 400-500 of them in Bass Boats all on one lake, and there you have it, HS tournament fishing. It is ugly!

UIL doesn't sanction those 6 year olds you were speaking of. UIL has NOTHING to do with HS fishing either, so your UIL argument really holds no merit. Let's be honest, when has UIL EVER made anything better?
You are correct, it is usually the parents that end up being the problem. I've had just as many (or more) bad experiences with adults on the water in non-HS events as I have with HS anglers.

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 06:13 PM

crazy enough I hear parents are booking and paying guides to run boats for their kids for tournaments......absolutely crazy

True story.Not saying I agree with buying a win by any means

But...………… no one says anything when those same parents pay a retired pro to teach their kids how to play any other sport. Or, spend an insane amount of money on an animal to have in the show ring to maximize the potential for a win...

Not saying I agree with buying a win by any means

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 06:17 PM

That is precisely my point, it is not UIL sanctioned so the rules are made up by??? You are also letting the players on the field(the parents) who some(not all) will have very questionable ethics and judgement because they want their baby to win! I am no fan of govt. but HS fishing is a very busy city roadway with no signs or rules or cops. Gonna be a big problem at some point!

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 07:36 PM

nice try though

Small man syndrome......lol......nice......you take me out of context, attack my work history and claim I am the problem......you are a very very special person....I like to fight and don't shy from one, never have, never will.....and if a person like you steps to a person like me, I guess we will just butt heads until someone stops.....lots of people try to make an example out of me, don't know the reason, don't care.....but if you're not my dad or a sitting judge, you will quit long before I do.

You will not bully me into silence, you will not misquote me and have me not respond, and I can go on for hours.....what say we both just walk away from this one......

You got problems dude, I will pray for you...

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 07:36 PM

That is precisely my point, it is not UIL sanctioned so the rules are made up by??? You are also letting the players on the field(the parents) who some(not all) will have very questionable ethics and judgement because they want their baby to win! I am no fan of govt. but HS fishing is a very busy city roadway with no signs or rules or cops. Gonna be a big problem at some point!

Who makes the rules for Basschamps. Media, TTT, etc? The tournament directors and owners...… same as HS tournaments.

So your saying that people may cheat? Agreed.
But cheaters are going to cheat, rules or ruling bodies won't change that. I know that THSBA (can't speak on others because I don't play with them much) require a polygraph for the win and have a random. They also have permanently banned people who have been caught.
People cheat UIL rules ALL THE TIME!
Your gonna have to come up with something stronger than the basic premise of "but the children"..... because I'm listening but I haven't heard anything that was a concrete reason for NOT having HS tournaments.
Not liking it isn't a reason to stop it, I don't like golf but folks are more than welcome to play it.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: $10 Million Lawsuit Filed in Connection with High School Angler's Death - 03/24/21 11:10 PM

With someone else as the executor of the captains estate the captain and wife must not have been together. Typically the surviving wife gets his assets.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum