Texas Fishing Forum

ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!!

Posted By: Ken A.

ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 05:00 AM

Congrats to the lucky angler!!

[Linked Image]

Did someone say Ivie had gotten quiet?? roflmao
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 05:27 AM

Sad
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 06:35 AM

Why is it sad?

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 07:02 AM

I’m happy for the angler and it’s his fish to do whatever he wants to do with it. I think that’s to many big fish removed from one lake in just a couple months. I know I know...Ken and JP will tell you SAL is the best thing since sliced bread but this program needs to be revised. Hell, maybe TPWD can figure out how to shock all the 13 pounders so MAN can spawn all of them. How many of these fish die in captivity or shortly after released......?
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 12:45 PM

Have any of the fish donated died yet?
Posted By: n_texas_basser

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 12:49 PM

I tend to agree, a bit to many fish, TPWD Sharelunker should put a limit on the number of fish they take from a lake any given year.

Originally Posted by Darin S.
I’m happy for the angler and it’s his fish to do whatever he wants to do with it. I think that’s to many big fish removed from one lake in just a couple months. I know I know...Ken and JP will tell you SAL is the best thing since sliced bread but this program needs to be revised. Hell, maybe TPWD can figure out how to shock all the 13 pounders so MAN can spawn all of them. How many of these fish die in captivity or shortly after released......?
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 12:52 PM

Good job Travis. fish
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 02:14 PM

Has TPWD released any info saying wether these fish being caught are same DNA from previous SAL’s?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 02:28 PM

Excellent fish and congrats. to Mr. Gill.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 02:40 PM

clap... Dan
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 02:54 PM

Catch of a lifetime. Congratulations to the angler.
Posted By: JoeDouble

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 02:55 PM

Really nice fish ! Great catch! I agree on limiting the number SALs taken from any lake!
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 02:55 PM

Be rational nay sayers. If we have seen this many big fish Id guess the number we aren't seeing would blow our minds.
Posted By: JoeDouble

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 02:56 PM

I agree with that also.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by n_texas_basser
I tend to agree, a bit to many fish, TPWD Sharelunker should put a limit on the number of fish they take from a lake any given year.

Originally Posted by Darin S.

I mean.......they are biologist who literally study fish biology and know way more than 99% of us know, and we fish for them to form our opinions/beliefs. Tough to say they need to change things up...when what they have done helped create the possibility of so many share lunkers living in a single body of water.

I really cant understand all the sharelunker sour grapes. These guys (TPWD) created what we are seeing at Ivie...and now people want to tell them they need to shape up and do things differently? I really wish a local wouldve caught a sharelunker.....so we couldve seen if they released them for the good of the lake, or gave them to sharelunker (we all know they wouldve sharelunkered them). Lots of typing...but I'd love to see some action that would prove people are really about that life and would catch a sharelunker, snap a few pics and toss her back in. I understand catching 10+ and throwing them back....but a 10 pounder and a sharelunker class fish are on a different class imo.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 02:59 PM

Congratulations to the angler for a fish of a lifetime. Wall Hanger for sure. cheers
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 03:02 PM

Guess I’m gonna piss everybody off I catch a 14 lb fish she’s going on my wall.
JD
Posted By: 206champion

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 03:09 PM

Congratulations to the angler .
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 03:29 PM

so far the fish have not died and TP&W will release them back into the lake. TP&W fish management is the best in the world but they are not perfect and some fish die. Most people in other states would love to have TP&W manage their fisheries..You have a chance to catch a 10 plus pound bass on any lake in Texas and that most lakes you could probably catch a 13 plus.. NOT to many states can say that. Look at Marine Creek and the big bass caught out of it and I would say the breeding of big bass and the release of the offsprings works..
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46
JD

You do know of these things called replicas right?

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
Has TPWD released any info saying whether these fish being caught are same DNA from previous SAL’s?

Not yet but they are working on it now. I'll bet they are second or third generation fish tho.

The Seven fish from OH Ivie that have been turned into the SAL program most likely would NOT have been caught if it weren't for the guys from Milliken & Josh Jones catching suspended fish (and showing others how) in 70-100' of water using Live Scope technology.

Hate all you want but those are fish that would have not been caught. My money says if Milliken & Zark hadn't made the call to Jones you might have seen one or two from Ivie by now.

Respect!
Posted By: dillydilly24

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 04:28 PM

Bet those other west Texas lakes are pumping out 15’s
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
JD

Plus #1. I know a replication artist who does very good work! thumb
I have several replicas and they very much resemble the fish I caught. cheers
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 04:38 PM

JD

doesn't TP&W give you a replica for free if you donate it?

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
Has TPWD released any info saying whether these fish being caught are same DNA from previous SAL’s?

Not yet but they are working on it now. I'll bet they are second or third generation fish tho.

The Seven fish from OH Ivie that have been turned into the SAL program most likely would NOT have been caught if it weren't for the guys from Milliken & Josh Jones catching suspended fish (and showing others how) in 70-100' of water using Live Scope technology.

Hate all you want but those are fish that would have not been caught. My money says if Milliken & Zark hadn't made the call to Jones you might have seen one or two from Ivie by now.

Respect!

do you know about what depth they were being caught in? I heard the same of the depth....but that the actual fish were "shallow" and that really blew my mind. When I heard that it did really sound like you had to scope them to even have a chance at them.

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by bockscar
Originally Posted by Ken A.

Respect!

do you know about what depth they were being caught in? I heard the same of the depth....but that the actual fish were "shallow" and that really blew my mind. When I heard that it did really sound like you had to scope them to even have a chance at them.

15-20 feet most of them. I spoke directly to my 2 buds that fished with Jones at Ivie. The shallowest water they fished was 27 feet for two days
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca
so far the fish have not died and TP&W will release them back into the lake. TP&W fish management is the best in the world but they are not perfect and some fish die. Most people in other states would love to have TP&W manage their fisheries..You have a chance to catch a 10 plus pound bass on any lake in Texas and that most lakes you could probably catch a 13 plus.. NOT to many states can say that. Look at Marine Creek and the big bass caught out of it and I would say the breeding of big bass and the release of the offsprings works..

Marine creek needs to be stocked with food for the bass more than anything else.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 05:30 PM

JD

Yeah but nothing is as "like your fish" as your fish. A beautiful skin mount is a work of art. I dont hate on anyone who wants to mount their trophy.

Posted By: TomRom

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 05:34 PM

I wish Fayette would be able to produce one. Most of the times I have fished it this year and the last couple, it has turned into a dink fest. Im on that lake about 40 to 50 days a year. You can catch numbers but the slot fish 16 to 24 inch have really declined in my opinion. A couple of the guides quit going to Bastrop because the size was not there like it use to be. It looks like Fayette might be heading in the same direction. I remember and it was not that long ago the 16 to 20 inch fish was always the norm. Oh well, still a fun lake to fish and I still enjoy catching 12 inch fish.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca

They haven't or they just not saying?
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 06:00 PM

So they have caught 7 Sal from ivie just think there may be 3,4,5,or more times that still in the lake, that top 50 may be soon re-written and from other lakes as well.

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TomRom
I wish Fayette would be able to produce one. Most of the times I have fished it this year and the last couple, it has turned into a dink fest. Im on that lake about 40 to 50 days a year. You can catch numbers but the slot fish 16 to 24 inch have really declined in my opinion. A couple of the guides quit going to Bastrop because the size was not there like it use to be. It looks like Fayette might be heading in the same direction. I remember and it was not that long ago the 16 to 20 inch fish was always the norm. Oh well, still a fun lake to fish and I still enjoy catching 12 inch fish.

something people hate to admit....but sounds like that lake needs a good fish fry to thin the population 🤷‍♂️
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 06:52 PM

I know from a good source that several have died and a couple probably won't make it. So we're up to maybe 3 surviving out of 7. What waste if this is true. But y'all keep believing the hype. And it's not tpw killing the fish. It's 99 percent on the angler. Tpw can only do so much if a fish isn't fizzed, dragged around in a livewell, tons of pictures, etc.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 07:30 PM

Great fish! Glad TP&W gets them and can reproduce more big fish. Thanks TP&W!!
Posted By: IowaBassMan

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 08:01 PM

Any pics of the fish?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 08:56 PM

Need to start putting dates in the thread title. This “Ivie today” stuff is starting to get confusing. roflmao

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 10:20 PM

Sorry, the first pic got cropped too short

[Linked Image]
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
JD

Yeah but nothing is as "like your fish" as your fish. A beautiful skin mount is a work of art. I dont hate on anyone who wants to mount their trophy.

Nothing like the real thing .

Re: ANOTHER 14 POUND SAL FROM O.H. IVIE TODAY!!! - 03/14/21 10:24 PM

Bed fish?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum