Texas Fishing Forum

Can Georgia Do It Again?

Posted By: Big Swimbait

Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/08/21 02:58 PM

Copied from the Swimbait the South Facebook paage:

Wildlife Resources Division - Georgia DNR
dsttMSeisasrpctaoih ns5o,r t2e02gt0gd ·
Last week we showed you record largemouth bass growth. Last week, Region IV Fisheries staff sampled an even larger bass at Ocmulgee PFA. This giant bass was 24.09 inches long, had a 22 inch girth and weighed 13lbs even.
Even crazier is when biologists looked up the pit tag on the fish, it was only a 4-year old fish. The fish was born in March 2016 at Richmond Hill Hatchery and stocked in the lake in March 2017 as a 3/4 lb and 11 inch, 1-year old bass. This fish was recaptured last year in the spring as a 3-year old fish that weighed 7.82lbs and now today as a 13 pounder!
The take home? This bass has grown 5lbs in the last year with an average growth of 3.25lbs per year. All bass at Ocmulgee PFA are catch and release only. So this bigun is back in the water waiting for anglers. #Go Fish Georgia!
More info on Ocmulgee PFA: http://bit.ly/2ISwY5d
Last Lunker Largemouth post: http://bit.ly/2PP2JwZ

Attached picture Georgia 13.jpg
Posted By: Walls

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/08/21 03:02 PM

That is the kind of genetic freak that could do it. But the more times she is caught, the harder it will be to do so when she gets even bigger. But cheers to Georgia DNR.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/08/21 03:19 PM

Wow. That is mutant growth.

Thats how you get a record class fish for sure.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/08/21 03:26 PM

They didn’t do it the first time and won’t do it again. The world record belongs to Japan.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/08/21 04:27 PM

Good lord
Originally Posted by grout-scout
They didn’t do it the first time and won’t do it again. The world record belongs to Japan.

Very likely, George Perry was a liar
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/08/21 04:48 PM

Hope you're Japanese..

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/08/21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
Good lord

Very likely, George Perry was a liar

If you dig into the world record story, you will find that many of the fishing historians doubt the record due to many inconsistencies in Perry’s story.

Originally Posted by WLBDallas

Hope you're Japanese..

Do you actually know what the Japanese caught bass caught weighed? Well let me help you, it weight 22lb 5oz. An ounce bigger than the claimed 22lb 4oz that Perry is recorded to have caught. But for whatever reason, a record has to be beaten by 2oz’s to be a record....

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/08/21 05:37 PM

Sorry to get everybody fired up. The intent of the post was the remarkable growth rate of this particular bass and the future potential.

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/08/21 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Big Swimbait
Sorry to get everybody fired up. The intent of the post was the remarkable growth rate of this particular bass and the future potential.

I’m not fired up if it sounds that way. Hopefully they have some kind of freak bass and they really can break the record. Too many loopholes in Perry’s record.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/09/21 12:24 AM

Holy Chit, that's a freak!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/09/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big Swimbait

Interesting. thumb
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/09/21 12:06 PM

At that growth rate it seems it could be possible. A lot of people didnt think the bass at camelot bell grew as fast as Mike said but I think this shows it's more than possible.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/09/21 01:13 PM

Snagged or not, the 25lber in california will be hard to top...
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/09/21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

That's right... I think people forget that there was a certified 25 lb bass caught in California.

Unfortunately or fortunately the angler was very honest and admitted he was bed fishing for the fish and had accidentally snagged it.

Good thing old Mike Long didn't find that fish on her bed. He was the master snagger. Had his own custom treble hook and all.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/10/21 01:35 PM

Agreed and that fish should be listed as the World Record in my opinion.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/10/21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

My understanding is he set the hook and his jig happened to be on the outside of the mouth vs inside so deemed an "illegal" catch. I wouldn't exactly call that snagging the fish.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/10/21 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chris G

My understanding is he set the hook and his jig happened to be on the outside of the mouth vs inside so deemed an "illegal" catch. I wouldn't exactly call that snagging the fish.

Technically it is a snag but we can all pretty much agree the fish was biting the bait.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/10/21 02:20 PM

cheers
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/10/21 09:02 PM

agreed , those guys were fishing for " dottie " for a couple of years . I watched that show about their quest , the fisherman lost site of the jig and assumed she had picked it up so he set the hook and snagged it on the outside . That picture of him holding her was crazy , unfortunately , " Dottie " died shortly after .
Also , regarding the monster out of Japan , wasn't there some controversy on whether he had been hand feeding them to get that size ??

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/11/21 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy

agreed , those guys were fishing for " dottie " for a couple of years . I watched that show about their quest , the fisherman lost site of the jig and assumed she had picked it up so he set the hook and snagged it on the outside . That picture of him holding her was crazy , unfortunately , " Dottie " died shortly after .
Also , regarding the monster out of Japan , wasn't there some controversy on whether he had been hand feeding them to get that size ??

I never heard anything about hand feeding it, but he caught it on live bait and most would never accept that. Of course our state record was caught on a minnow and nobody seems to mind, so who knows.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/11/21 02:49 AM

I'd bet there was an error when someone put the info into their data base... It's almost impossible for just one fish to show those leaps and bounds and no other fish in the data base is even close? I could be wrong... Dan

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/27/21 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
I'd bet there was an error when someone put the info into their data base... It's almost impossible for just one fish to show those leaps and bounds and no other fish in the data base is even close? I could be wrong... Dan

Seems to be others as well...

Lunker Alert at Ocmulgee Public Fishing Area

Recent electrofishing surveys revealed a 4-year-old, 11.5 pound, 22.83-inch-long bass and a 5-year-old, 11.12-pound, 23.62-inch-long bass. Both females were pit tagged fish grown out at Bowens Mill Fish Hatchery. These bass and their siblings have some of the fastest growth rates ever documented in largemouth bass.
Fisheries Management staff selects largemouth bass brood fish from our best largemouth bass populations and spawns them to produce fingerlings that are stocked around the state. Ocmulgee PFA is intensively managed for excellent largemouth bass growth and habitat. When you combine excellent genetics with excellent habitat, you get fast growing bass like this one.
M
Posted By: Outdoor Therapy

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/27/21 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy

I never heard anything about hand feeding it, but he caught it on live bait and most would never accept that. Of course our state record was caught on a minnow and nobody seems to mind, so who knows.

I have a feeling our state record was caught while fishing with a minnow, but I bet it wasn't caught on that minnow.
Posted By: MAC67STANG

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/28/21 10:57 PM

Crazy growth
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Can Georgia Do It Again? - 03/28/21 11:10 PM

Interesting post. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum