Texas Fishing Forum

Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas?

Posted By: Mindrop

Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/07/21 02:55 AM

I'm down here in San Antonio, and I am off next week for spring break (grad school), however, I have never been big into spring break. My social life in small. I don't know where people go. I am pretty certain, the rivers are going to be full of tubers, but that is all I know. I have a kayak and am itching to get out and relax after the semester (and ice storm), but it is no fun if there are people scaring away the fish. Pointless too. Any suggestions on where the quieter spots should be?

Thanks!
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/07/21 03:46 AM

head north on 281. Hit up Blanco or Johnson city on the yak. The fish are also munching shallow on Lake LBJ if you want to put in and stay shallow in the canals.

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/07/21 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by thirtysixit
head north on 281. Hit up Blanco or Johnson city on the yak. The fish are also munching shallow on Lake LBJ if you want to put in and stay shallow in the canals.

Thanks! LBJ sounds like a good place to hit. I'll scope it out on Google Earth Pro and see what I can find from the low water points. I also forget about the Pedernales River.

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/07/21 11:17 PM

Due to water temps, I'm looking at Choke Canyon. March 3rd, LBJ is in the 40s, which does slow the bass, but I also am concerned about if I flip in my kayak. The water temps are in the mid 60s.
Posted By: NTX6807

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/07/21 11:22 PM

Choke canyon. People are smashing them there. Pick up a senko and a frog and get after it
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/07/21 11:45 PM

Lbj has had 3 over 10 this week off beds I know if. It's definitely not in the 40's anymore

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/08/21 12:12 AM

Good to know both of those! I'm planning two trips, Tuesday and Thursday, so I'll see if I can get both in.

Are the bass in spawn or pre-spawn right now?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/08/21 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by NTX6807
Choke canyon. People are smashing them there. Pick up a senko and a frog and get after it

roflmao Guys on Facebook are crying about it sucking. Were these people you know, there recently?

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/08/21 01:19 AM

Meanwhile, family in Massachusetts just told me people were ice fishing today. lol

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/08/21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mindrop
Meanwhile, family in Massachusetts just told me people were ice fishing today. lol

f that, even though they enjoy it.

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/08/21 04:11 AM

I would go out in freezing temperatures in the winter for pike and musky fishing, but I don't see the appeal of sitting on a frozen lake, huddled around a hole in the ice. They just had their winter break 3 weeks ago, and their spring break isn't until the first week in April.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/08/21 01:34 PM

Be mindful of the gators in Choke Canyon. They will be on the bank sunning themselves early in the morning till it warms up. Personally, I would go to Lake Dunlap if fishing from a yak. Great little lake with some big fish and lots of cover. Wont be many boaters this time of year. Good luck!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/08/21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by horseplaydvm
Be mindful of the gators in Choke Canyon. They will be on the bank sunning themselves early in the morning till it warms up. Personally, I would go to Lake Dunlap if fishing from a yak. Great little lake with some big fish and lots of cover. Wont be many boaters this time of year. Good luck!

Gators on Choke won't bother you unless you have a stringer over the side with several fish hanging off of it......If you feel a yank and reach for what is left of it to put another fish on you will understand.
Don't ask how I know this!
Also Lake Dunlap isn't what it once was before the dam failed, but people still get out on what is left of it in a kayak.

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/09/21 03:59 AM

I'll watch out for the gators. If I do take any fish, I'll leave it for later. I want to get the night fishing in as well.

I'll have to take a paddle down to Dunlap. That section of the Guadalupe has been on my radar. Maybe I'll do that Thursday.
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/09/21 04:06 AM

I don’t think you could pay me enough money to night fish out of kayak on choke. Call me a baby but I’ve seen to many big gators out there to chance it. I like to drink at night when I go on a fishing trip.

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/09/21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
I don’t think you could pay me enough money to night fish out of kayak on choke. Call me a baby but I’ve seen to many big gators out there to chance it. I like to drink at night when I go on a fishing trip.

Between the giant water moccasins, gators & alligator gar floating around the surface at nighttime, ain’t no way I’m going out at night in anything less than a bass boat. Somethings are stupid and doing this, would certainly be one of them.

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/09/21 05:23 PM

Things didn't go as planned. Thinking maybe Dunlop Thursday.

For Choke Canyon I know the layout. I know where the depths of each area. I know the latest fishing report. I know the water temp. I know the moon phase. I know the time for sunrise and sunset. I know what the temperature would be for each hour. I know the normal water conditions. I know how to adapt to the different water conditions. I can handle boat wake. I have a 3.5 pound anchor for a reason. I know where the fish will be. I was where the bass would be. I was prepared for a flip. I was prepared for the alligators. I was prepared for the 20% chance of showers. I just realized I didn't have even a basic first aid kit and will solve that ASAP.

The ONE thing I didn't check was the wind report. I rarely have to think about it and it doesn't matter for powered boats. Some wind can be good to entice bass to bite. The wind started after about an hour on the water. 15 mph winds with gusts up to 30, normally not a problem, but it was creating 3 foot swells! Some where white capping! On a kayak who's sidewall is a foot above the water max, being sideways will flip or swamp you. I will always check the wind report. I was not the only kayak the wind drove out. I was even prepared for how to handle swells because we were taught that is scouts!

I was on the water at 7:10, a tad late. Getting the kayak off my SUV took longer than planned. I was on shore by 9:00. I barely got started. I want to build a trailer. Harbor freight sell various frame sizes. I could build one easy off of it since I only have. A 10 foot kayak.

Choke Canyon is nice, but with any wind with gusts over 20mph, Kayaks are a no go.

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/09/21 07:25 PM

Wind??? At Choke??? I have never seen the wind get bad there. You must have been at the wrong lake. peep

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/09/21 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
Wind??? At Choke??? I have never seen the wind get bad there. You must have been at the wrong lake. peep

Yeah. About 8 it started blowing. It was 15mph sustained and gusts hitting 30. With the swells, even paddle power against the wind, I had some spray going off my bow! I was totally at the wrong place this morning for kayak fishing. Lol
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/10/21 03:10 AM

Lake Placid. Right up the road I-10 east. Public launch below the I-10 bridge. thumb

Re: Spring Break Fishing Spots in South Central Texas? - 03/10/21 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Lake Placid. Right up the road I-10 east. Public launch below the I-10 bridge. thumb

I always forget about Lake Placid. Thanks for the suggestion!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum