Texas Fishing Forum

Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2

Posted By: rscustomrods

Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 05:08 PM

I purchased a 2015 Ranger with. G2 in the fall of 2020. I knew when I bought it that my options for work on the motor would be limited. I debated posting this but felt I wanted to help others considering an evinrude G2 make an informed decision before purchase. I got such a great deal on my boat that I was willing to take the risk. However, I never imagined it would be this difficult to get service for the engine. I have really been happy with the motor, but have had a couple of engine codes kick out and probably need a shift solenoid.

I got on the waiting list at Rockwell Marine the day they re opened in January 2021. I was told it would be six to eight weeks to get in. That time has come and gone and I am still 130 boats deep on the waiting list. This is by no way meant as a negative post about Rockwall Marine. I have never had service done there as they are over an hour from my home. They obviously do good work as many people are waiting to get service done there. I am merely illustrating how long a potential Buyer of a G2 may have to wait for service if they have a problem.

Near my home, there is a dealer who has the ability to work on the G2. However they refuse to work on any G2 they did not sell. Ironically they sold my boat to the original owner and I bought it from him. They will not work on it because I am not the original owner,

Rockwall Marine told me the only other place they know of that work on the G2 is in eastland Texas which is towards Abilene.

So the point of this post is to offer advice to those considering purchasing the G2 to thoroughly research their service options before purchase. Warranty or no warranty doesn’t matter if you can’t get it serviced. I hope this post is taken for what it is intended. A PSA if you will.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 05:14 PM

Did you Try North Texas Marine in Fort Worth, they are off FM 156 and Loop 820
I have a G1 and they work on mine
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 05:14 PM

thumb
Posted By: IowaBassMan

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 05:28 PM

Go to the Evinrude site and click the find dealer tab. Searching in the Dallas area should provide 10-12 options. Those mentioned above are included.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by rscustomrods
I purchased a 2015 Ranger with. G2 in the fall of 2020. I knew when I bought it that my options for work on the motor would be limited. I debated posting this but felt I wanted to help others considering an evinrude G2 make an informed decision before purchase. I got such a great deal on my boat that I was willing to take the risk. However, I never imagined it would be this difficult to get service for the engine. I have really been happy with the motor, but have had a couple of engine codes kick out and probably need a shift solenoid.

I got on the waiting list at Rockwell Marine the day they re opened in January 2021. I was told it would be six to eight weeks to get in. That time has come and gone and I am still 130 boats deep on the waiting list. This is by no way meant as a negative post about Rockwall Marine. I have never had service done there as they are over an hour from my home. They obviously do good work as many people are waiting to get service done there. I am merely illustrating how long a potential Buyer of a G2 may have to wait for service if they have a problem.

Near my home, there is a dealer who has the ability to work on the G2. However they refuse to work on any G2 they did not sell. Ironically they sold my boat to the original owner and I bought it from him. They will not work on it because I am not the original owner,

Rockwall Marine told me the only other place they know of that work on the G2 is in eastland Texas which is towards Abilene.

So the point of this post is to offer advice to those considering purchasing the G2 to thoroughly research their service options before purchase. Warranty or no warranty doesn’t matter if you can’t get it serviced. I hope this post is taken for what it is intended. A PSA if you will.

Doesn't surprise me in the least to hear about the "other dealer" stance on this. They aren't as great as they are touted to be, IMO.
Posted By: d75bender

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 07:27 PM

Good info...I'll be buying a new used boat soon and I don't think I want anything with a Rude on it now that they're out of business.
Posted By: James P.

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 07:32 PM

They aren’t out of business. They just stopped production on the G2 motor.

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 07:37 PM

What? I just googled it again and all over I'm reading Evinrude has closed its doors and are out of business. Link below...

Evinrude out of business
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by James P.
They aren’t out of business. They just stopped production on the G2 motor.

popcorn
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 07:41 PM

BRP is still in business, but they've stopped production of all outboard motors.

http://news.brp.com/news-releases/n...tegy-focusing-boats-and-new-technologies

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 07:48 PM

Well if they're not making Evinrude motors and slappin those suckers on boats...I'd say they're out of business right? lol. That's like owning a McDonalds and saying we're open but you can't buy food here.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 07:51 PM

in the real world if you dont have a production line building new motors to sell an have places to work on them when they break they are pretty much out of business. who didnt see this coming when they put a 10 year warranty on outboards.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 11:19 PM

try diamond sports marine at lake fork, I know they were selling the g2 on rangers.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/03/21 11:48 PM

I bought a boat at outdoor specialties in Eastland tx good people. Owner tried like hell to get me to buy evinrude but I chose Mercury all I can say is thank god.
J. D
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 12:38 AM

I thought they signed an agreement with Mercury to provide necessary parts if needed.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by d75bender
Good info...I'll be buying a new used boat soon and I don't think I want anything with a Rude on it now that they're out of business.

BRP is not out of business. They are not going anyplace. They make the CanAm's. The purchased several boat manufactures and are working on a new
generation boat with hidden motors.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
try diamond sports marine at lake fork, I know they were selling the g2 on rangers.

Pretty sure that's the dealer refusing to work on it that sold the boat.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by basscaster46
I bought a boat at outdoor specialties in Eastland tx good people. Owner tried like hell to get me to buy evinrude but I chose Mercury all I can say is thank god.
J. D

Terry is still doing service work. So is Sandy Creek.
I ordered 2 parts from Sandy Creek last Wednesday, got them last Friday.
Yes they were OEM parts and came straight from BRP.
So far these two dealers have not had a problem getting any parts.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 02:26 AM

Well if they're not making Evinrude motors and slappin those suckers on boats...I'd say they're out of business right? lol. That's like owning a McDonalds and saying we're open but you can't buy food here.

More like McDonald's not selling Quarter Pounders... They're still selling Big Macs, frys, Filet O Fish, cheese burgers and Egg a Muffin just not Quarter Pounders... Dan
Posted By: Jman

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 02:40 AM

Seller beware when and if it comes time to sell
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 03:35 AM

Who didn't see this coming? confused 3
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 04:42 AM

Try Sartin Marine out at Fork. They've worked on my old Evinrude Intruder before.

I've also used Rockwall Marine, which is much closer to home for me. They do good work, but they aren't cheap or fast.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS

More like McDonald's not selling Quarter Pounders... They're still selling Big Macs, frys, Filet O Fish, cheese burgers and Egg a Muffin just not Quarter Pounders... Dan

McRibs?
Posted By: tjbubba1

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 03:52 PM

Rockwall marine has been busy since the pandemic started and everyone starting buying boats. I own a G2 and its the best motor I've owned no regrets great warranty.
Outboards all seem to have issues at one time or another, The wait time on service on a merc at rockwall marine is the same as a G2.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tjbubba1
Rockwall marine has been busy since the pandemic started and everyone starting buying boats. I own a G2 and its the best motor I've owned no regrets great warranty.
Outboards all seem to have issues at one time or another, The wait time on service on a merc at rockwall marine is the same as a G2.

I think his problem is that Rockwall Marine is the only service center around for his G2 and parts availability, not the actual time getting it into the shop.
If you find a shop that can "get you right in" this time of year, there might be a reason for that...…...
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 05:34 PM

Its not just Evinrude with issues for service. I live part time near Lake Sam Rayburn/where I keep my boat. For what little service support I've needed for my last two Merc. motors, its been hard to find a dealer that would look at my problem in a reasonalbe time frame. Some didn't even want to look at my boat because I didnt' have a Phoenix and they sell Ranger or Triton and pretty much told me to pack sand. I found a Merc dealer at Toledo Bend, but they went out of business. If I need service moving forward I found a Merc. dealer about 1 and half away. With that said as common as Mercury's are, can be an issue depending on your area.

Pretty sure I can get a Suzuki worked on just as easy. Same shop thats an hour and half way from me is a Suzuki dealer too.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/04/21 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by tjbubba1

I think his problem is that Rockwall Marine is the only service center around for his G2 and parts availability, not the actual time getting it into the shop.
If you find a shop that can "get you right in" this time of year, there might be a reason for that...…...

Sounds like the OP should have researched a littie for the closest service place. Like I said there hasn't been any problems getting serviced out this way.
His post is saying don;t buy and Evinrude because you can't get it serviced which 100% false.
He just doesn't want to have to travel very far to get it fixed. And this time of year any dealer is going to backed up several weeks on service of any engine.
Posted By: rscustomrods

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/05/21 11:46 AM

9094 I did plenty of research. I just didn’t expect a 12 week or longer wait to get it serviced. I have owned multiple boats and have great options for local service in a reasonable amount of time on anything but a G2. I chose to purchase the boat and gamble and it was not worth the gamble. I am merely sharing the challenge I have faced so other buyers can make an informed decision.

Service Marine in Emory is hands down the best service place I have ever used in 30 plus years of boat ownership. I should have stayed with merc or Yamaha so I could stay with them. He called in a favor with a friend in Far East texas and got my boat in there. We will see what happens.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Buyer beware if purchasing a boat with an evinrude G2 - 03/05/21 02:53 PM

Unfortunately, excessive wait times is part of dealing with COVID and as well as the spring boat season coming up. Even before COVID wait times was 4 weeks during the winter months, and combine this with shortage of parts, technicians, and other variables I feel for any boat owner that needs to try and get some service or repairs done.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum