Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone ever put these in the mold when pouring plastics?

Posted By: soje

Anyone ever put these in the mold when pouring plastics? - 03/01/21 10:12 PM

I wonder how this would work, if you tried to put one in a soft plastic worm. [Linked Image]

Attached picture D657C909-A748-4BE8-9062-FBDFA6727BB6.jpeg
Posted By: gbarrett26

Re: Anyone ever put these in the mold when pouring plastics? - 03/01/21 11:09 PM

they sell glass ones with a pointed tip that you can just push into any soft plastic bait.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Anyone ever put these in the mold when pouring plastics? - 03/01/21 11:26 PM

Keeping them in position while injecting the plastisol is the problem. Then, if they get over on one side, they just fall out of the worm.
Posted By: soje

Re: Anyone ever put these in the mold when pouring plastics? - 03/02/21 08:34 PM

Yeah. I figured it would need to be a different type of mold. I was thinking about the laminate worms, but those are injected too. I forget who made them, but people have made worms with some kind of air pocket in them. It was one of the big names.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Anyone ever put these in the mold when pouring plastics? - 03/02/21 09:19 PM

Depends on if they are heat resistant at 300-350 degrees.
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Anyone ever put these in the mold when pouring plastics? - 03/03/21 02:21 PM

It can be done in a hand pour and it can only be done in certain configurations and is a time consuming process. ie. a 5' stick, the placement has to be such that it doesn't interfere with the hook in a Trig, there's also the issue of balance by virtue of adding weight to a bait that is reliant on it's action. Salt impregnated baits with an already existing durability issue adding the rattle makes it even less durable. Lastly, plastic rattles have a different sound than glass, you can use plastic as long as you don't overheat the material however the plastic rattles with a more muffled sound is muffled even more when surrounded by plastic.
Posted By: d75bender

Re: Anyone ever put these in the mold when pouring plastics? - 03/03/21 07:29 PM

They make rattles that insert into plastic specifically for this.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum