Texas Fishing Forum

Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb

Posted By: mudd

Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/01/21 10:09 PM

Can’t believe someone other then Josh Jones catches a pending lake record over there. I thought he was the only one that could do it this whole time.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/01/21 10:10 PM

not a smallmouth those are mean mouth
Posted By: Sawyer S

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/01/21 10:13 PM

I'm starting to lose track of the lake record now, it's being broken every 10 minutes it seems like lol. That's a great catch.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/01/21 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenix 920 Pro xp

They are smallmouth.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/01/21 11:24 PM

flehan
Posted By: NTX6807

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/01/21 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by 9094

They are smallmouth.

They are certainly not small mouth they hardly even have any smallmouth characteristics.
Posted By: jiggmann

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/01/21 11:47 PM

TPWD recognizes it as a smallmouth just saying
Posted By: 9094

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/01/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by NTX6807

They are smallmouth.

They are certainly not small mouth they hardly even have any smallmouth characteristics.

Smallmouth look different from different lakes. Those are small mouth.
I held the lake record at Ivie for many years on smallmouth and mine was certified by a biologist. And it was lighter colored and had very distinct bars on the side.
Nice to know we have so many fishery biologist on here.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/01/21 11:58 PM

First photo is of the fish over 7lbs which was claimed to be a smallmouth. It's not a smallmouth. It may have some smallmouth genes, but there is a bunch of largemouth in there. The second photo is of a 6.2 also caught out of Josh Jones's boat. It's a smallmouth. The differences here are stark.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
First photo is of the fish over 7lbs which was claimed to be a smallmouth. It's not a smallmouth. It may have some smallmouth genes, but there is a bunch of largemouth in there. The second photo is of a 6.2 also caught out of Josh Jones's boat. It's a smallmouth. The differences here are stark.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are you positive that first picture is the 7.6lb "smallmouth"? I saw a picture and it was a different person / different fish
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:12 AM

Not positive it's the 7.6. The photo I shared was posted on Josh Jones's facebook labled as 7+ lb smallmouth. Normally I'd say yes, are you being silly? Of course that's the 7+ lb smallmouth they are talking about. How many 7+ lb smallmouth are caught on any given day? Considering this is Josh Jones we are talking about though, I would not put it past him to have caught two today. roflmao

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:16 AM

[Linked Image]

This is the one I saw, I only asked because these fish hold a couple more noticeable characteristics compared to the one you posted.

edit: Received from a friend labeled as new 7.6lb smallmouth record. I dont have first hand story so wanted to ask

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by UTDmiller
Originally Posted by Jpurdue

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are you positive that first picture is the 7.6lb "smallmouth"? I saw a picture and it was a different person / different fish

This is the 7.6lb “smallmouth” that’s anything but a smallmouth [Linked Image]

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by NTX6807

They are smallmouth.

Smallmouth look different from different lakes. Those are small mouth.
I held the lake record at Ivie for many years on smallmouth and mine was certified by a biologist. And it was lighter colored and had very distinct bars on the side.
Nice to know we have so many fishery biologist on here.

It doesn’t take a biologist to see that’s not a smallmouth. And I’ve seen recent pics from the same Lake that are actual small mouth so your argument there is invalid
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:26 AM

popcorn
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:31 AM

So they catch the largest of every kind of bass on the lake, wow.. has anyone on Ive used a LS and A- rig before?
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by UTDmiller
[Linked Image]

This is the one I saw, I only asked because these fish hold a couple more noticeable characteristics compared to the one you posted.

edit: Received from a friend labeled as new 7.6lb smallmouth record. I dont have first hand story so wanted to ask

The most noticeable difference is the fins and tail for me between those too, one on the right is more typical smallie. They all don't look like footballs from the north. The fish is whatever tpwd classifies it as...

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Hardt
So they catch the largest of every kind of bass on the lake, wow.. has anyone on Ive used a LS and A- rig before?

A year ago at this time was there many Live scopes out? This last year has felt like 7 to me so i cant even remember when the dang LS came out
roflmao
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:33 AM

Link to Wyatt's FB page where pics are.

Here are a couple more pics of it. flehan
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Hardt

Brad I think the recent weather events is the major reason this is all happening. I am sure there are some that use LS there and are good with it.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:37 AM

Crazy, Doug , not being a smart as$ but did the weather set up like this last year?

Also, did the dudes have intel before they showed up? Or just drop the tm and catch records?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/02/21 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Link to Wyatt's FB page where pics are.

Here are a couple more pics of it. flehan

Damn nice smallmouth. Congrats.

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/04/21 03:25 AM

Wyatt just posted this:

For all who wants to know, we have the samples sent in👍 we will know soon enough if she was a pure blood smallmouth or a hybrid. If it is a mean mouth it will be a state record, if it’s a smallmouth it’s a lake record! Either way I’m pumped to find out!
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/04/21 03:42 AM

D@mn that is win win
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/04/21 03:59 AM

Nice fish. cheers
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/11/21 08:45 PM

Josh Jones just posted the state confirmed his fish to be a mean mouth hybrid
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/11/21 08:54 PM

Cool -that would be a lake, state, and world record right?
Posted By: DustBass

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/11/21 08:56 PM

Any pics?

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/11/21 09:15 PM

Wyatt just posted:

The lab results are in!!

Just got off the phone with the biologist over at Texas Parks & Wildlife, and he let me know that she was in fact a Smallmouth/Largemouth Hybrid!

So not only is it a LAKE RECORD at O.H. Ivie, it is a Texas STATE Record as well!

After a call to IGFA (The International Game Fish Association) I also found out that she will be a WORLD RECORD Smallmouth/Largemouth Hybrid!

All of this will be official after all the paperwork is submitted and approved! I’m really at a loss for words.... who would’ve thought this small town guy from East Texas would be a world record holder.😆

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/11/21 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by DustBass
Any pics?

Wyatt Frankens FB Page
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/11/21 09:53 PM

Hybrid as confirmed by tpw. The question is, which one is the smallmouth record
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/11/21 10:31 PM

WOW !! Congratulations.. fish
Posted By: JoeDouble

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/12/21 12:19 AM

Nice Fish !
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/12/21 02:12 AM

Not Surprised. That’s what I posted on the pic. I’ve seen too many of them in Arkansas.
Congrats on the records!
Posted By: BCB

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/12/21 06:37 AM

Congratulations to Wyatt Frankens on his record catch!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/12/21 01:47 PM

Saw on Wired to Fish, that the fish is most likely the new World Record fish too.

Has anyone seen anything from TPWD about the DNA in these fish, were any of them (the largemouth or mean mouth) from previous SAL’s?

Re: Another Ivie Thread 7.6lb - 03/12/21 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
Saw on Wired to Fish, that the fish is most likely the new World Record fish too.

Has anyone seen anything from TPWD about the DNA in these fish, were any of them (the largemouth or mean mouth) from previous SAL’s?

I haven't seen any info on the genetics of them yet. popcorn2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum