Texas Fishing Forum

Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today?

Posted By: beartrap

Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 10:13 PM

very exciting and an emotional win for what appears to be a really grateful (and great) young man....congrats to Dustin Connell......
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 10:38 PM

The what?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 10:41 PM

Is that the deal thats supposed to crush the Bassmaster Classic? I missed it. Will it be on TV this weekend?
Posted By: Jiggy wid it

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 11:01 PM

I like it but it will never displace the Bassmaster Classic IMO
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 11:09 PM

MLF is getting on my nerves. The format sucks. While I like the idea of measuring and weighing fish and releasing them, here is my beef. All week long Thrift kicked everyone's [censored]. The reset is BS. He goes down in flames today. I will give my time to Bassmaster from now on and that sucks cause I actually like several of the angers in MLF.
Posted By: Big O Florida

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
MLF is getting on my nerves. The format sucks. While I like the idea of measuring and weighing fish and releasing them, here is my beef. All week long Thrift kicked everyone's [censored]. The reset is BS. He goes down in flames today. I will give my time to Bassmaster from now on and that sucks cause I actually like several of the angers in MLF.

They like to reward luck, not skill in their championships. Not only did Thrift have more weight collectively over course of whole tournament, he also had biggest fish. Yet he still only is rewarded with 9th place and $18k... a far cry from the $300k he rightfully deserved.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Big O Florida

They like to reward luck, not skill in their championships. Not only did Thrift have more weight collectively over course of whole tournament, he also had biggest fish. Yet he still only is rewarded with 9th place and $18k... a far cry from the $300k he rightfully deserved.

Agree 100%.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 11:22 PM

like it or not,I think we have just seen what future tournament shows and bass fishing techniques are going to be.....
having cameras in the top 10 fishermens's boats on final day and showing the action and suspense right up to the end of tournament is far more exciting than watching 3-4 guys dumping fish on the scales at a weigh-in.....and...the top 4 finishers all used live scope (or Apex) to actually see the fishing they were trying to catch....

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 11:24 PM

I agree Beartrap and again I like the idea of releasing the fish. It is better for the resource. The resets are the issue with me period. It should be cumulative weights that may require a format change in that regard.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
like it or not,I think we have just seen what future tournament shows and bass fishing techniques are going to be.....
having cameras in the top 10 fishermens's boats on final day and showing the action and suspense right up to the end of tournament is far more exciting than watching 3-4 guys dumping fish on the scales at a weigh-in.....and...the top 4 finishers all used live scope (or Apex) to actually see the fishing they were trying to catch....

Man. I hope it ain’t so.
Posted By: irbf

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 11:27 PM

Much more entertaining to watch. No comparison.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 11:52 PM

Many of these anglers begged FLW to stop zeroing weights years ago. Do you think they changed their mind??? (for those that do not know, this is a sarcastic comment, not a real question)

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/26/21 11:58 PM

If that was the case, then I suspect MLF would have something more than a mediocre sausage company on board as the marquee sponsor, and with it being a championship, it would be broadcast live on TV.

To see what the future holds, tune in to Fox Sports on Saturday and Sunday’s for 3hrs each day of LIVE BASS tournament coverage, and when the real super bowl of fishing comes around, on June 12th, that will be expanded to the national Fox networks where the Academy Sports Bassmasters Classic, presented by Huk! will be presented. As with the past 50+ years of events, multiple days of activities and fun for the fan families will accompany this annual event. This is where the Big Stage, showcases the Big Bass, caught by the Biggest Names in the sport!
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 12:00 AM

Agree 100%.

And he had the sit on the sidelines for the last two days while the others were getting to experience the lake changing. He basically gets rewarded for not having to fish in the knockout rounds but comes into the championship cold as ice, the others who were fishing the knock rounds come in red hot! They should at least allow that position to get on the lake the day before the championship. Seems the knockout round guys had a huge advantage over Thrift.
Posted By: Hulapoppin

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 12:06 AM

Big O you should contact Luke Dunkin and be a co host on Low Budget Live, he hates the BPT as much as you. He’s pretty entertaining also.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 12:10 AM

have to agree with this. It sucks for Thrift, but he is the one who signed on with MLF, he can only blame himself. Zeroing weights is so ghey. Nonsense. And so is the 2 pound limit. If they're going to be a count everything you catch, then count it all dangit. You got it to bite, you count it. I will watch MLF, but I personally prefer the BASS format.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by InTheClear

Agree 100%.

And he had the sit on the sidelines for the last two days while the others were getting to experience the lake changing. He basically gets rewarded for not having to fish in the knockout rounds but comes into the championship cold as ice, the others who were fishing the knock rounds come in red hot! They should at least allow that position to get on the lake the day before the championship. Seems the knockout round guys had a huge advantage over Thrift.

Thrift fished 2 days like the other competitors in the final day......
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 12:13 AM

Hey Big O Deep-throat...the most weight collectively wasn’t the format and it wasn’t a big bass tournament either. Your boy thrift got his azz handed to him today catching basically nothing. He should have lost and did lose. I heard BASS brass need you back to the shop to rinse some soiled drawers...get cracking.
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by emorydog

Hey Big O Deep-throat...the most weight collectively wasn’t the format and it wasn’t a big bass tournament either. Your boy thrift got his azz handed to him today catching basically nothing. He should have lost and did lose. I heard BASS brass need you back to the shop to rinse some soiled drawers...get cracking.

Lol, I'm dead... roflmao
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:03 AM

Excluding golf, every other sport works this way. Tampa Bay had to win each playoff game they played this year to be champions. The team with the most cumulative points in the playoffs doesn’t win. They score more than their opponent and move on, where they have to score more than that opponent.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:10 AM

I prefer releasing all fish, having weight cuts to reduce the field but fishermen that advance should keep their combined weight straight until the end.
Posted By: J2H1

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:14 AM

I actually prefer to watch the MLF format on TV. I imagine their fish survival rate is higher, too. The BASS event would be more fun to attend live. Just my opinion.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hulapoppin
Big O you should contact Luke Dunkin and be a co host on Low Budget Live, he hates the BPT as much as you. He’s pretty entertaining also.

That would be a hoot! roflmao

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Excluding golf, every other sport works this way. Tampa Bay had to win each playoff game they played this year to be champions. The team with the most cumulative points in the playoffs doesn’t win. They score more than their opponent and move on, where they have to score more than that opponent.

Come to think of it that is how every other sport is. thumb
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hulapoppin

roflmao
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

have to agree with this. It sucks for Thrift, but he is the one who signed on with MLF, he can only blame himself. Zeroing weights is so ghey. Nonsense. And so is the 2 pound limit. If they're going to be a count everything you catch, then count it all dangit. You got it to bite, you count it. I will watch MLF, but I personally prefer the BASS format.

hey Frank, i'm glad to see your success on tour lately, but I'm wonderin what the problem is with the MLF going to the 2 lb limit. Remember the MLF on the Mississippi when KVD caught about a hundred 1 lb fish to win and everyone complained about the dink league. I think he beat Todd Faircloth who had a good 5 fish bag so that has to grate on a lot of Texas minds. Hackman had some larger fish too that day.

So now the MLF is not counting any dinks they didn't count a lot of 1 1/2 lb fish the Bass event would have liked to have today. Talk about dinks at the BASS event. Jeez I know I woulda got skunked there myself.

I think my only problem with the MLF is thinking about Boyd Duckett making a lot of money. But, at least he's a fisherman and not just some big corporation.

Brian Thrift sure was a star in those first two days!

I wanna see a new BASS format for only guys over 60 an nobody can have over $10K in electronics and trolling motor combined with a max 150 hp limit. And only fish 4 hrs then a long lunch a few cocktails and a nap. No weigh in go straight to the bar!

He who has the most fun always wins!
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:55 AM

Actually it was more Lowrance Live Target, but I agree with Bear.....watching Dustin win and all that emotion, proud for him....still not a big fan of the weights zeroes from day to day
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

No, it would be like resetting the score every quarter of a football game.
Posted By: W B

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:59 AM

The format make for an intense finish 95 percent of the time. Not a hater of MLF but, I can not stand watching them watch the fish on Active Target and Live Scope. It has turned into a hunting show. They aren't even looking at the water after their cast. Just staring at their electronics. SUX big time
Posted By: RandyD

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 02:04 AM

Good point,... I noticed the same...

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chris B

They play quarters a day apart in football?

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by W B
The format make for an intense finish 95 percent of the time. Not a hater of MLF but, I can not stand watching them watch the fish on Active Target and Live Scope. It has turned into a hunting show. They aren't even looking at the water after their cast. Just staring at their electronics. SUX big time

I agree, I've already seen it on lakes I fish the last 6 months, guys in the middle of the lake hunched over at their screen casting at suspended open water fish. They called the dropshot fishing with 2D sonar video game fishing but this is really video game fishing.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by W B

I'm with you I thought we fished to enjoy the outdoors. Video games are for the basement.

On the other hand, you gotta go with what works. Right now since I don't have the dough for $20-30K of electronics I'm working on blocking my trolling motor to point about 45 degrees in front a the bow and see if I can pick up any marks on my green box. I think if I spin the boat around a lot I should be able to pick em up in all directions.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 02:31 AM

Watched the ending, kept waiting for Neal to catch a big one. It was very entertaining.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 02:34 AM

No, it would be like saying you can score 50 in the first quarter and then not score in quarters 2-4 when the other team made adjustments.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by beeflover
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

have to agree with this. It sucks for Thrift, but he is the one who signed on with MLF, he can only blame
himself. Zeroing weights is so ghey. Nonsense. And so is the 2 pound limit. If they're going to be a count everything you catch, then count it all dangit. You got it to bite, you count it. I will watch MLF, but I personally prefer the BASS format.

hey Frank, i'm glad to see your success on tour lately, but I'm wonderin what the problem is with the MLF going to the 2 lb limit. Remember the MLF on the Mississippi when KVD caught about a hundred 1 lb fish to win and everyone complained about the dink league. I think he beat Todd Faircloth who had a good 5 fish bag so that has to grate on a lot of Texas minds. Hackman had some larger fish too that day.

So now the MLF is not counting any dinks they didn't count a lot of 1 1/2 lb fish the Bass event would have liked to have today. Talk about dinks at the BASS event. Jeez I know I woulda got skunked there myself.

I think my only problem with the MLF is thinking about Boyd Duckett making a lot of money. But, at least he's a fisherman and not just some big corporation.

Brian Thrift sure was a star in those first two days!

I wanna see a new BASS format for only guys over 60 an nobody can have over $10K in electronics and trolling motor combined with a max 150 hp limit. And only fish 4 hrs then a long lunch a few cocktails and a nap. No weigh in go straight to the bar!

He who has the most fun always wins!

Favorite 2021 post

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by W B

Surprised none of them don’t have major neck or back issues staring at that screen
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by W B

This going to happen in all the tours. Live scope is not a MLF thing.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 03:40 AM

Aren’t underwater cameras against the rules anyway?
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 04:33 AM

The spawn is right around the corner. Livescope won’t be necessary for a few weeks or so. I think 360 will show it’s worth.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 05:30 AM

Did Connell go to someone else’s fish today? That’s usually what he does when he isn’t doing good in events. He pulls a Duckett. Glad to see they finally figured out how to catch fish after Walters beat down last year opened there eyes to it

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 06:19 AM

Here we go. Why do guys on here always try to take away someone elses shine? What do you got Mudd? Spill it.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 11:14 AM

Who’s spot did he take?

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:06 PM

The qualification process to get into the deadcrest was accumulative of points, so scoring in the event should have been consistent with that. The analogies people are using of other sports, like the NFL is also flawed. A wildcard in playoffs, with each win actually accomplishes something and is recognized, such as conference champion, then league champion, and ultimately super bowl champion. What did Thrift get for handily winning phase 1 & 2 of the championship event? Nothing... nothing extra on the payout, nothing... he got something extra for biggest fish, but not winning the 2 cutoff segments. Go figure.

Hopefully he will learn a lesson from this and make the necessary move over to the BASS circuit, to save his career from becoming one of irrelevance.
Posted By: yamaha runner

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:25 PM

I personally think it’s great. These guys do this for a LIVING. Successful businesses are always evolving. You don’t have to have forward facing sonar to catch fish and nobody says you have to use it. But if you can afford the technology that’s available, use it.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 01:36 PM

What did Thrift get for handily winning phase 1 & 2 of the championship event? Nothing... nothing extra on the payout, nothing... he got something extra for biggest fish, but not winning the 2 cutoff segments. Go figure.

Hey Big O Deep-throat...he did get something, he got the opportunity to win $300,000 if he could catch fish all of the days, but he sucked the last day and couldn’t put it together. I’m sure there are a few coinpurses that still need your attention over at BASS headquarters so move along.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 04:29 PM

The qualification process to get into the deadcrest was accumulative of points, so scoring in the event should have been consistent with that. The analogies people are using of other sports, like the NFL is also flawed. A wildcard in playoffs, with each win actually accomplishes something and is recognized, such as conference champion, then league champion, and ultimately super bowl champion. What did Thrift get for handily winning phase 1 & 2 of the championship event? Nothing... nothing extra on the payout, nothing... he got something extra for biggest fish, but not winning the 2 cutoff segments. Go figure.

Hopefully he will learn a lesson from this and make the necessary move over to the BASS circuit, to save his career from becoming one of irrelevance.

Gosh you are annoying. Maybe go knock on Thrifts door, kidnap him, save him from the boogeyman known as MLF. Everyone that enjoys it should not have to listen to your garbage.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 05:13 PM

🙄🙄🙄

So is the wins/losses to make the playoffs in mainstream sports. Your record gets you in, not the total points you scored. And if the Cowboys score 35 against the Eagles one week, they don’t start with 35 against the Giants the next.

It’s a different way of doing it. It appeals more to people who maybe haven’t paid attention to bass fishing but are fans of stick and ball sports. No one got cheated. We’re all aware you hate MLF and think it’s dumb. Relax.
Posted By: kcb

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 05:16 PM

I usually like BASS coverage over MLF but I thought this one was pretty good. It may be because of the size of the 1st place purse on this one.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 05:28 PM

🙄🙄🙄

So is the wins/losses to make the playoffs in mainstream sports. Your record gets you in, not the total points you scored. And if the Cowboys score 35 against the Eagles one week, they don’t start with 35 against the Giants the next.

It’s a different way of doing it. It appeals more to people who maybe haven’t paid attention to bass fishing but are fans of stick and ball sports. No one got cheated. We’re all aware you hate MLF and think it’s dumb. Relax.

When the guy who hit the trifecta of catching the most total weight overall, the most total scoreable fish overall, and the biggest single fish overall, ends up finishing 9th in the overall tournament, then you know it wasn’t scored to properly assess the “best angler for the overall championship tournament” - the scoring system was used to identify the lucky dog for the final day.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 05:34 PM

🙄🙄🙄

When the guy who hit the trifecta of catching the most total weight overall, the most total scoreable fish overall, and the biggest single fish overall, ends up finishing 9th in the overall tournament, then you know it wasn’t scored to properly assess the “best angler for the overall championship tournament” - the scoring system was used to identify the lucky dog for the final day.

Its not a 4 day total tournament. If you can read, you'd see the final day was called the championship round.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 06:06 PM

🙄🙄🙄

And? Contrary to your statement the way DC was fishing was proof he did not just stumble on them and luck out as you put it. It might even prove the exact opposite. Maybe it was Thrift that lucked out for two days and his luck ran out. Now I don’t really believe that and would not minimize Thrift and his tournament achievement the way you are doing it to Connell.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 06:16 PM

Hey Big O Deep-throat, when a team is in town for a three game series does the score carry over every day. Yeah...ugh, no.

The only ones being cheated out of this whole deal that I can see are the members on this forum who have to have, what you are likely to be considered in great numbers, a complete douche and attempt to beat down a competing trail on every post every day. Get back to the BASS home office where you are needed and finish cleaning the dirty coin-purses of your bosses.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/27/21 06:54 PM

🙄🙄🙄

In your opinion, of course.

We get it. You don’t like it. That’s fine. No one was cheated, it’s just different than how BASS does it. That’s kind of the point.

Re: Anybody else watch the ending of Redcrest championship today? - 02/28/21 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

They play quarters a day apart in football?

That is how every football is isn't it? sarcastic
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum