Texas Fishing Forum

Trailer title issues

Posted By: Tiltedtitan

Trailer title issues - 02/19/21 08:16 PM

I bought a boat several years ago. I never received the title for the trailer. Now I need to sell the boat but don't have title. Even though I didn't need a title to begin with. Because the weight doesn't exceed the limit.

Anyone ever ran into this? Please advise.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/19/21 08:25 PM

Doesn't need a title if it's under 4000 lbs Gross.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/19/21 08:40 PM

Trailers in Texas do not have titles, just registration. You can go online (or go to a tax office) and get the form to put the trailer in the new buyers name.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/19/21 08:47 PM

Who's asking for the title ?
have you been getting a tag for the trailer every year ?
Normally a bill of sale or a statement of origin is all that's needed unless going to another state.. Some states title the trailer.
just a side note.. some TPWD office ladies are hard to deal with... some think your a crook and guilty before proven innocent..
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/19/21 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by fishnfireman
Normally a bill of sale or a statement of origin is all that's needed unless going to another state.. Some states title the trailer.
just a side note.. some TPWD office ladies are hard to deal with... some think your a crook and guilty before proven innocent..

You don’t deal with tpwd on trailer tags or titles . That is done at your county tax office dmv.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/19/21 10:17 PM

I ran into this issue when I sold my Champion. The buyer was from Tennessee and needed a trailer title to register the trailer in Tennessee. I called and asked what to bring and went in and filled out a form and paid a fee and got a title. As of about 2 years ago, you couldn't do it online.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/19/21 11:44 PM

I had a boat without tags once. I went bought a $200 harbor freight trailer to use the paperwork to get tags. I thought I was being creative and saving a few bucks.

Now I know I just need to take the trailer ID number in and pay the fee. It was a LOT LESS than $200. roflmao
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/20/21 12:08 AM

When I moved here from California (please don't hold that against me, I have been fully "Texified") I went to my local tax office to title my truck and boat trailer. The lady at the tax office said what y'all are saying, no title needed if under 4000 lbs GVW "unless you really want one". I said no thanks, I'll just hold onto my CA title "just in case"
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/20/21 12:13 AM

I found the exact opposite to be true. The lady I dealt with at the Tyler TPWD office was extremely kind and helpful
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/20/21 12:18 AM

Trailers aren't titled through TPWD
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/20/21 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by TinRangerJim

I found the exact opposite to be true. The lady I dealt with at the Tyler TPWD office was extremely kind and helpful

Dealt with the ladies in Tyler for 10 years when I worked there. Always willing to help and explain things.
Now I work in Mt Pleasant and the lady there is also just awesome.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/20/21 02:21 AM

TPWD for trailer tags, titles....? New to me. The flip side is at Somervell County(Glen Rose) DMV you can get your bi-yearly registration sticker for those that don’t want to simply pay by mail to the TPWD. Not sure if that’s the case for all DMV’s?

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/20/21 02:30 AM

You don’t deal with tpwd on trailer tags or titles . That is done at your county tax office dmv.

Trailers aren't titled through TPWD

TPWD for trailer tags, titles....?

You [censored]; everyone knows TPWD only does the boat and motor.. Don't ever mention them as a side note in a post about trailers again..
How dare you say that one of them might be hard to get along with.
bolt
Posted By: 9094

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/20/21 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by GTrigg
Trailers in Texas do not have titles, just registration. You can go online (or go to a tax office) and get the form to put the trailer in the new buyers name.

Not if the trailer was titled by the previous owner. And trailers do have titles in Texas just not required. If it was titled then the previous own has to sign the transfer form.
That is why there are so many “shop made” trailers in Texas. Because a title is not required and the original owner can’t be found.
I have just been through this exact same thing so now have a “shop made trailer”.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/20/21 03:59 PM

they changed the law on shop made trailers i think it was in sept. if you go in with a shop made trailer they will have you go weigh it an have it inspected by a dps office to attach a serial number to it not as easy as it once was.. if the trailer was previously titled in tx you have to go back thru owners an get it straighten out before transferred .

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/20/21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith
they changed the law on shop made trailers i think it was in sept. if you go in with a shop made trailer they will have you go weigh it an have it inspected by a dps office to attach a serial number to it not as easy as it once was.. if the trailer was previously titled in tx you have to go back thru owners an get it straighten out before transferred .

That's why I was asking OP for more info.
Another "side note" Odds are if your not going thru a dealer your going to be dealing with TPWD sooner or later. Especially if selling or buying out of state.
Posted By: Rog

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/21/21 05:39 AM

Had a boat I bought new in 1992, sold over the summer. It had a separate titles on the boat, motor, and trailer. Luckily I had duplicates of all when dealer lost the trailer title. You may need to request a copy from the state.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/get-a-copy-of-your-title
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/21/21 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by GTrigg

They do have titles when over 4000 pounds. Read a little more closely.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/21/21 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rog
Had a boat I bought new in 1992, sold over the summer. It had a separate titles on the boat, motor, and trailer. Luckily I had duplicates of all when dealer lost the trailer title. You may need to request a copy from the state.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/get-a-copy-of-your-title

You would be the rare exception on having an actual title for a boat trailer. The state doesn't do titles for trailers under 4000 pounds. I don't even think they will issue one.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/21/21 02:12 PM

there not as rare anymore with a lot of this out of state financing those folks want a title with their lien on it .
Posted By: Mike2718

Re: Trailer title issues - 02/22/21 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by Rog

You would be the rare exception on having an actual title for a boat trailer. The state doesn't do titles for trailers under 4000 pounds. I don't even think they will issue one.

In the “Old days”, you did have a title for boat, motor and trailer and the trailer didn’t have to be over 4000 lbs to be titled. I bought a new bass boat in 1990 with a single axle trailer and it had to have a title. I know all of that has changed since then. I had to sign the boat, motor and trailer title over to the buyer when I sold it. All of my new boats I have bought since then do not have a title to the trailer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum