Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Ray Hubbard Help

Posted By: 23Harrison

Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 04:48 AM

My son fishes high school tournaments. They have a tournament on Lake Ray Hubbard next week. I've heard that the lake is very treacherous and has a lot of stumps. Should we stick to the rip rap along 66 and 30 and fish the marina or chance it going to the river?
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 05:40 AM

I'm sure people here that know more about Ray Hubbard than I do will answer, but, if you are not very familiar on how to get up the river, I would not attempt to go up there. I know a few people how have done this run many times over the years have tore up boats going up there. It is NOT a straight shot by any means. I would stick to the rip rap along 66 and 30 as well as the marina's.

I'm sure others will answer as well.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 10:17 AM

That whole north end is frozen over. Water temps across the whole lake are still going to be pretty low. I'd stick to the rocks and marinas anyways. I've made the river run quite a few times, and it was rarely worth the trip.
Posted By: Jerry Brown

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 12:55 PM

You need to do you and your kids a favor and skip Hubbard. I bet if you put 200 highschool teams on that lake next weekend and there won’t be more than 20 total fish bright time the scale. I would expect about 90% of the teams won’t sniff a bite.

Btw, good luck bud, lol!
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 01:21 PM

If you ever decide to go to the river I would suggest finding someone who knows how to get there to plot you the way on your graph. There are widow makers out there along the way. There is a reason people fish that river.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 01:37 PM

Honest opinion,

There are supposedly 200 boats in this tournament? Half of them will be up there half of those will not catch a single fish , half of those that do will catch 1. Don’t get me wrong it can be won up there if you find the gems that produce and can have them to yourselves. But it isn’t even close to what it used to be, I used to be hard core river rat guy and still prefer to fish up there but if it helps you make a decision prior to 2015 I used a graph only for mapping hazards and trails into backwaters now I have 4 graphs mega 360 and livescope.

There is a ton of fishy areas mid lake that will have nearly zero pressure if the sun hits rock without too much wind you can bet there will be catchable fish.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 02:06 PM

Doesn't High Schoolers have a 14 day no info rule???
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 02:33 PM

I think the public forums like this where anyone can see it is approved
Posted By: fatdad74

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 03:51 PM

He is right on the high school has a 14 day no info rule. That being said you can look at all the public forums but you cannot ask anything about the lake u are fishing. I know this because my son fishes in the central division
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 04:07 PM

The No information rule was changed to 5 days prior to the event. Also as long as it is on a Public forum like this it is considered public information, so no issues.

Look at Rule #4 and 5.

Good luck
Posted By: BigVes

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 04:10 PM

Don't bother with the river. Stick to the main lake and marinas. Fish as slow as humanly possible
Posted By: CB-52

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 04:21 PM

I am almost certain the no information period was changed to either 5 or 7 days
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 04:45 PM

Even with the information rule it would be ok to ask on a public forum. The rule is so you dont get a buddy to go find fish during the week and tell you about them
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 06:43 PM

These were taken 1/2 mile south of the mouth of the river on the afternoon of 2/17/21

I’d try the south end of the lake if it were me

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 07:06 PM

It’s a 7 day no info rule.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 07:11 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 07:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. We will give it a shot.
Posted By: n_fish

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 07:21 PM

5 days prior to the tournament date. Check your PM’s
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 10:31 PM

Take an ice auger with you if you plan to fish north of 66. I was out there walking on water just a few hours ago.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/19/21 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by JCBfromTHF
Take an ice auger with you if you plan to fish north of 66. I was out there walking on water just a few hours ago.

I will add, if you launch from 66 after this, be on the lookout for rocks at the end of the ramp or on the old road bed!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fishincontrol

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/20/21 11:42 AM

River is out of play.

Attached picture boat lane 2021.jpg
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/20/21 02:34 PM

Ask 361v, seems to be the know all.
Posted By: Jerry Brown

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/21/21 01:23 PM

Doug, do you live in that neighborhood or just trying to get a look at the lake?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Help - 02/22/21 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry Brown
Doug, do you live in that neighborhood or just trying to get a look at the lake?

I was at Wardo’s place picking up a new trolling motor
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum