Texas Fishing Forum

BASS Sabine River rescheduled

Posted By: grandbassslayer

BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/17/21 02:32 PM

Looks like a move to August, will allow more fans in attendance.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/17/21 02:50 PM

There is a reason most Summer tourneys are up North.

Some of the "non-locals" will understand why when they get to the Sabine in August! peep
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/17/21 03:31 PM

Wow, that’s going to be brutally hot. Whoever played a part in the scheduling should also have to Marshall the first 2 days.
You know, that whole “We’re in this thing together” deal every official spouts off when they clearly aren’t going to be effected by it.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/17/21 03:45 PM

I'm signed up to Marshal and I'm really really thinking about canceling. August going to be miserable.

Edit. yeah I just sent them an email to cancel marshaling. Setting on that river in August doesn't seem fun.
Posted By: Statton48

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/17/21 04:02 PM

Well at least we will see who’s king of the Sabine in one of the toughest months. I might go down and watch a little of it. Brutally hot is an understatement, especially down there with 100% humidity and no wind
Posted By: the skipper

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/17/21 05:56 PM

Boy, they are going to hate this place after that. Going to be hotter than heck and fishing will be TOUGH. I know a few that live on the sabine and they say since hurricane laura it's dead. Might be some long runs to other areas this time. Maybe the main river will be in good shape and that will produce something.
Posted By: Texguy02

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/17/21 10:18 PM

I live near the Sabine( about 9 miles from the launch) and fish it weekly. August will be brutal. Only saving grace for the fishing would be to open the Louisiana side and let that make a play in the tourney.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/17/21 10:21 PM

Damnit. They are stealing the money AGAIN....
Posted By: SAKS

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/17/21 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by emorydog

He is still in timeout.
Posted By: STX_bassin

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/17/21 11:55 PM

I was going to Marshall as well but not a chance now. That would absolutely miserable. Maybe next year!
Posted By: emorydog

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/18/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by SAKS
Originally Posted by emorydog

He is still in timeout.

Oh Ok, i didn’t know. I thought he might still at the elite weigh in site still at his vendor booth demonstrating how to eat hotdogs without chewing.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/18/21 02:27 AM

BASS must get a huge pay day to keep going back to the Sabine. It's a great place to catch some giant redfish, but possibly the worst bass fishing in the state. Throw in the almost impossible navigation, the water rights mess on the Louisiana side, and having it in August. It would be hard to pick a worse venue.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/18/21 02:48 AM

Might be the smallest winning weight since the Pittsburg classic .
Posted By: slim 285

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/18/21 02:52 AM

And would have thought BASS would know better than coming to to Texas in the summer . The last event they had on Texoma in the end of June nobody showed because of the heat .
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/18/21 02:58 AM

August is humid as heck and plenty of mosquitoes but there's plenty of fish to catch. 13-14lbs a day is possible maybe more depending on the Louisiana water
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/18/21 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
BASS must get a huge pay day to keep going back to the Sabine. It's a great place to catch some giant redfish, but possibly the worst bass fishing in the state. Throw in the almost impossible navigation, the water rights mess on the Louisiana side, and having it in August. It would be hard to pick a worse venue.

I actually enjoy fishing it but I also grew up fishing it. Several 20lb bags get caught often. It's not as bad as the red river in my opinion
Posted By: Hunter's Dad

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/18/21 03:50 AM

[quote=Tx Tree Grower]

Couldn’t disagree more. It’s way better fishing than lots of places in the state. At times you can catch plenty of fish within site of the boat ramp. There are plenty of options even without Louisiana. In Summer it will be miserable because of the heat and mosquitos but there are places that fish way tougher in August.

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/20/21 05:00 PM

Isn't this where Iaconelli ran his boat aground? If so it has that kind of excitement going for it.

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/20/21 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by slim 285
And would have thought BASS would know better than coming to to Texas in the summer . The last event they had on Texoma in the end of June nobody showed because of the heat .

And they are doing it twice really. Moving the Classic to June. To the most part June is a summer month for us. Then running from Roberts to Ft Worth in the Dickies arena might be a little rough on the fish.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/22/21 03:14 AM

Actually the Sabine can be good in the summer. I have fished it since the 1970's and realize it can be challenging sometimes. But most of the Elites don't fish the Sabine, instead they have made long runs to the west and fished the Neches river near Beaumont. Ike ran aground in a narrow canal off the Neches river. Before they banned the Elites from Louisiana waters, many were in the bayous off the Calcasieu river. The Sabine itself is easy to navigate, no different than many rivers. Always gotta pay attention and slow down sometimes. Most days it is fairly easy to catch a limit on the Sabine, but may be a challenge for those not experienced on tidal/marsh systems. Will be a good tournament for the experienced river fishermen. Lots of grass, cypress trees, Lilly pads, and marsh drains. Here are a few pics of Sabine river bass.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: BASS Sabine River rescheduled - 02/22/21 05:20 PM

I'm excited to see it happen... I can't hit all the outstanding lakes at their prime during the year... So It'll be nice to see how all the pros do fishing a body of water during the same conditions I encounter... Dan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum