Texas Fishing Forum

Golden Algea

Posted By: WAWI

Golden Algea - 02/12/21 03:19 PM

I'm hearing golden algea chat about granbury. Anybody seen anything.
Posted By: mcb

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 03:35 PM

Yes, our tournament cancelled due to it. I believe it was around the 51 bridge area.

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 03:44 PM

I didnt like the water color when I drove over 51 bridge a couple weeks ago
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by mcb
Yes, our tournament cancelled due to it. I believe it was around the 51 bridge area.

I'm just curious why you would cancel a tournament because of it.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 04:11 PM

Granbury can’t ever catch a break on this [censored]........Hope it stays real localized.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 04:11 PM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/water/environconcerns/hab/ga/status.phtml
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 04:15 PM

That lake gets sick alot. It must be in the perfect place to incubate that stuff or something is leaking into it confused 3
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 04:16 PM

Granbury and PK got it now
Posted By: mcb

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 04:18 PM

I'm just curious why you would cancel a tournament because of it

I think the fear with this weather that it would only get worse. I need all the help I can get so I'm glad the decision was made.
Posted By: 188champ

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 04:29 PM

I live on the Lake , three days ago from the bend to 51 bridge there were hundreds of gulls and other birds gorging themselves on floating dead fish. i reached out to Brazos River Authority and TPWD this was there response :

" There was an golden alga bloom over the weekend that resulted in a fish kill incident at one area of Lake Granbury. Texas Parks and Wildlife warned us a couple of weeks ago that the conditions were ripe for golden and that samples were showing high concentrations. As of today, we have not had any recent fish kill reports. If you would like to learn more about golden algae, we have more information available on our website: https://brazos.org/About-Us/Environmental/Species/Harmful-Algal-Blooms/Golden-Alga
XMA Header Image

Fishing has been very tough (for me anyways) on that end . With that damn algea , its a ghost town around there. TPWD told me the recent cold, icy conditions actually help spread the golden algea. unknown how bad it will get. hopefully its a small flare up.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 05:02 PM

I saw some dead fish this passed weekend up in the northern areas. Got reports from other guys that past 51 was a graveyard of fish. Luckily most of what I saw were drum floating.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by mcb

I think the fear with this weather that it would only get worse. I need all the help I can get so I'm glad the decision was made.

I think they would be worried it would be taken to another lake via a boat that wasn't completely drained
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal Tom
Originally Posted by mcb

I think they would be worried it would be taken to another lake via a boat that wasn't completely drained

I don't think thats it, bloom will make the fishing abolutley sh#^ nobody will hardly catch anything, I've fished whitney after a bloom its a ghost town.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
Originally Posted by mcb

I don't think thats it, bloom will make the fishing abolutley sh#^ nobody will hardly catch anything, I've fished whitney after a bloom its a ghost town.

But it's a tournament. Shouldn't matter how good or bad fishing is. Most weight still wins
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 08:12 PM

where did you see PK got it also?
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca

where did you see PK got it also?

I'd like to hear this too?

Re: Golden Algea - 02/12/21 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by mcb

That's not really how it works.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Golden Algea - 02/13/21 05:08 PM

when the water turns pale yellowish green an gulls an pelicans come in that is not a good sign when the water is really cold the dead fish will sink rather than float. the algae attaches itself to the fishes gills where they cant take oxygen out of the water the threadfin shad a drum generally die first then the rest of them .hopefullly it will be isolated an not spread over the whole lake.
Posted By: lunker777

Re: Golden Algea - 02/14/21 12:53 AM

As a TD, just trying to make sure everyone has a good to better chance to catch fish & have a good time. Not everyone is as hardcore as some
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum