Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter Battery Access= BAD

Posted By: rkd

Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 07:13 PM

Don't get me wrong-I love my new-to-me Skeeter ZX225 and I don't intend to start a Skeeter bashing thread. However, I am dreading having to change out the batteries. The rear compartment design is HORRIBLE. I don't see how I will be able to fit the batteries through either of the side panel openings and even then, I have a power pole pump and battery charger to contend with. My 2002 ZX was only other boat I've had and it was super easy access to rear compartment. 4 batteries to replace when it's time. Any tips out there on making the swap out less difficult?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 07:16 PM

They improved that issue on the new FXR and ZXR platforms.

Its a pain for sure in some of the older models. Might be easier with a helper.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 07:16 PM

Only thing I know ow would be to go lithium.
I just did 4 group 31 AGM and you need to tip and turn, no pumps or other obstacles.
2014 FX 21
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 07:43 PM

There are hidden screws on each rear corner panel(floor), that, once removed, makes battery changing quite easy. My Skeeter is easier to access batteries than 95% of the cars on the road.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 07:45 PM

My 2004 ZX225 has two large doors that open all the way across the back deck. I believe they have finally gone back to this in the newest models. Now if they will go back to the two center doors on the front deck my boat has they will get it right.
Posted By: mcb

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 07:47 PM

Steez is there just one screw per small corner panel or more? Thanks

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 07:49 PM

Mine has 4 per corner. They are little torx head screws.
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by mcb
Steez is there just one screw per small corner panel or more? Thanks

Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by rkd
Don't get me wrong-I love my new-to-me Skeeter ZX225 and I don't intend to start a Skeeter bashing thread. However, I am dreading having to change out the batteries. The rear compartment design is HORRIBLE. I don't see how I will be able to fit the batteries through either of the side panel openings and even then, I have a power pole pump and battery charger to contend with. My 2002 ZX was only other boat I've had and it was super easy access to rear compartment. 4 batteries to replace when it's time. Any tips out there on making the swap out less difficult?

Yes. If you buy your batteries from Batteries Plus, they will take 'em out to your boat and install for free. At least the store on 1171 in Lewisville will...
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
There are hidden screws on each rear corner panel(floor), that, once removed, makes battery changing quite easy. My Skeeter is easier to access batteries than 95% of the cars on the road.

I have a 2017. You can't fit a battery through that opening anyways. Doesn't make it much easier. If you have to change a battery furthest to the outside you have to remove others. Still a pain.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 08:18 PM

This! Only take about 1 minute per side to take panel off.

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 08:39 PM

The two rear corner panels are easy to remove with a torx screwdriver. (4 screws per panel) The trouble I mentioned starts AFTER those are removed. My ZX is a 2017. There are tiny openings to work with once those quarter panels are removed. Okie-I'm liking the idea of having Batteries Plus do the work but I would worry they won't know how to reattach the mass of wiring I have back there.

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 08:46 PM

Here's a picture of the opening I have to work with. Screwdriver for comparison. You can see one of the batteries back up under the rear deck.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by rkd
Here's a picture of the opening I have to work with. Screwdriver for comparison. You can see one of the batteries back up under the rear deck.

[Linked Image]

thats rough
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 08:51 PM

Chainsaw will make access much easier...retail value, MUCH less. nuts
Posted By: Tyler822

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 10:04 PM

It’s not as bad as it seems. Taking the corner panel off makes it much easier. If it’s the outside battery then yes, you have to pull the inside one first. If you’re struggling with the weight of the battery get a helper. I changed my cranking battery (outside starboard side) start to finish in about 15 minutes. 2019 ZX250
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 10:40 PM

This is why my 19 ZX250 will be traded in for an FXR when its time to replace batteries.
Posted By: Rog

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/05/21 11:46 PM

If you just bought be sure to check they installed all the all the hardware on the plate for the charger along with other stuff while your are digging around back there. My charger already died on one bank after 8 months. When I pulled it, only two, loose, screws were holding the mounting plate in. I needed this post last weekend. It was a b getting to that starboard battery. Lol.

I am now pouring over the boat for everything they didn’t tighten down or install all the hardware to/on. Had the network cable come loose two weeks ago cause they just pushed it together without tightening the connection. Also the through hull fittings leaked because they stripped them during install and they had little to no silicon. Love the boat but workmanship and quality on “little” stuff that becomes big stuff is terrible.

Last thing got caught in rain storm a couple of weeks back and the front boxes leak under the raised lip and the seam it makes on the deck. Has anyone else had this. We’re you able to fix with silicone or did you take it back to Skeeter?
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/06/21 12:21 AM

Don't complain. You have to see the storage area in the back of my 2001 Triton Tx-21. It is the literal "sardine can." I have an oil container, a single bank charger, a 3-bank charger, a Power Pole pump, 3 TM batteries and a starter battery. It takes an act of Congress to get batteries out.

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/06/21 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by SkeeterHunter
This is why my 19 ZX250 will be traded in for an FXR when its time to replace batteries.

roflmao
I hear ya. Sounds like a legit reason!
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/06/21 02:01 AM

roflmao

I think so too texas
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/06/21 03:00 AM

roflmao

I think so too texas

I have a friend that bought one of the 1st Dodge trucks when they put 20" wheels and tires on them.

At that time Goodyear was the only manufacturer that made them.

He traded it in at 25K when the tires needed replacing because they are $1800.00 for a set! hammer
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/06/21 03:04 AM

I replaced my starting battery with an AGM size 31 X2 power in the exact spot you posted. It took no more than 10 minutes. It’s not as bad as it seems.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/06/21 03:09 AM

Not a very good lay out at all
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/06/21 03:22 AM

Caymas is the best bilge area I’ve ever seen.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/06/21 04:33 AM

It’s not that hard to do. Couple screws and ur done with install.
Posted By: TODDXDC

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/06/21 12:43 PM

Yes Skeeter batteries are easier to access than 95% of cars, but worse than 99.9% of other boats. I just changed all 4 of mine in my 2019 fx21 with 31 series. I didn't remove the 2 access covers over the power pole pumps thinking I still wouldn't have room. There is absolutely no excuse why Skeeter designed something this bad, their engineers must be proud of the design. I will save money up and go with lithiums next time, and remove the battery charger to gain a little more opening.
Posted By: MCIPinkie

Re: Skeeter Battery Access= BAD - 02/06/21 10:04 PM

Same issue in my 2020 ZX200, but there 4 - T20 screws in each of the side covers. Takes almost 15 seconds to zip them out and all of a sudden it's pretty easy to get to everything..

But look at it this way. You don't open it up every day. How often do you get in there after you put the batteries, pumps or whatever in? I generally check the battery water about every month so that is routine. Other than that, it's a change or a repair. Once a year or so, if no problems.

I wouldn't say it was a bad design. Works well for its needs. It's not a daily access hatch. Could be easier to get into. Actually it looks to me like the big covers on the new boats are more cost effective. One of the advantages of being old is knowing what to look for. I looked at this going in since my first Skeeter, the 2002 didn't have removal side panels and it was a royal pain to access anything, so they improved a little.

I will agree with the comment on Skeeter QC. I've tightened almost every bolt and screw in whole boat. All the deck to support grid screws were loose. The hatch lids all leaked until I realized that the latch cams had not been adjusted to close the lids tight. Adjusted them. Stopped 99% of the water leaking into my compartments. It's a mass produced boat, I understand that. I've been in Skeeters since 2002. Love the boats. Just wish they would finish them before they shipped them out. I used to pro-staff for a local dealer 2002 - 2010 or so. It was the same then.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum