Texas Fishing Forum

Punchers (hooks)

Posted By: Minner Bucket

Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 02:09 AM

Having a little bit of a tough time finding the perfect punching hook. I lose too many fish on Trokars, Hack attack’s are ok but dull quickly and points roll (slightly). VMC has a weird bend and I’m missing fish on em. What’s your go to? 5/0 or 4/0 for beaver style?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 02:12 AM

Trokars are too sharp for punching. They are GREAT for lighter hook sets. But when you pin a big one under a mat, the fish tend to shake off of those.

I’ve had some better hookup ratios with Academy flipping hooks and 3/0 EWG hooks. They are cheap enough to swap them as often as needed.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 02:15 AM

Gama. 4.0
Posted By: Statton48

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 02:50 AM

Owner jungle flipping hook.
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Statton48

What he said!
Posted By: Littledog

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 03:10 AM

I fish heavy VMC worm hooks with the retention bend. Works great for me.
If the issue is hooked fish throwing the hook, you might want to try changing your weight attachment method and see if that makes a difference.
Fish typically use leverage to throw a hook. Not the hooks fault.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 03:10 AM

Minner, have you ever tried the snell knot with a straight shank? I know a lot of the pros swear by it. I personally don’t have any issues getting a good hookset...because I don’t ever get any bites! cry
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 03:14 AM

I have pretty well switched over to Hayabusa FPP flipping hooks over the past 2 years. I really like them. Great bait keeper too.
Posted By: mikey_ batts

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 03:25 AM

Mustad or Owner jungle flipping hooks for me. Both have really good keepers and stay sharp
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 01:09 PM

Hayabusa FPP flipping hooks or Owner Jungle flipping hooks for me.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 02:11 PM

Gamagatsu or Owner
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Slide_R
Hayabusa FPP flipping hooks or Owner Jungle flipping hooks for me.

Think I’ll give these 2 a try. The mustad grip pins are ok until the bait keeper breaks the weld and starts spinning.
Originally Posted by grout-scout
Minner, have you ever tried the snell knot with a straight shank? I know a lot of the pros swear by it. I personally don’t have any issues getting a good hookset...because I don’t ever get any bites! cry

Yes sir, best flipping knot for sure, it is all I use
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Statton48

This right here
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 03:25 PM

Come out here to West Texas and problem solved, No grass or matted vegetation to punch through.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/05/21 10:46 PM

Does anyone ever just buy round bends and make your own keeper with heat shrink or bobbin and thread? Did that with some damiki vipers I used to flip into sticks....but didnt catch anything big or very many where I could say wether it was a good idea or not 🤔
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/06/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by bockscar
Does anyone ever just buy round bends and make your own keeper with heat shrink or bobbin and thread? Did that with some damiki vipers I used to flip into sticks....but didnt catch anything big or very many where I could say wether it was a good idea or not 🤔

Nope. But if ya buy them Owners everyone is so high on, you might as well. The keepers on Owners really do suck. The ones I use are a little better, but come loose after a dozen or so fish.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Punchers (hooks) - 02/06/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Nope. But if ya buy them Owners everyone is so high on, you might as well. The keepers on Owners really do suck. The ones I use are a little better, but come loose after a dozen or so fish.

The damikis are real cheap compared to other hooks that thick. Its a really thick hook even thought the description doesnt make it seem like that. Youd have a hard time bending it out for sure.

I dont usually get on them that good and by the time ive caught 12 at my home lake ill switch out for a new hook....but the damiki vipers are pretty strong but have no keeper worth anything.

I orderred Gamakatsu round bends to do the same for an upcoming trip to Amistad....my wallet hopes they are as thick and sticky so I dont have to shell out for flipping hooks at the local tackle shops. Probably gonna have to do that though LOL
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum