Texas Fishing Forum

16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ?

Posted By: Laker One

16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 02:26 PM

There is a post from an angler in the Fresh Water Report section of the forum of a Large Mouth Bass caught that was 16.73 Lbs. Canyon Lake. The angler did not post a picture of the fish but had it weighed by Parks & Wildlife and sent to the Athens Hatchery. Has anyone have any knowledge of this? Resent catch.

Side Note: Lifetime Catch for sure. coolio
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 03:37 PM

I would love for this to be true
Posted By: buda13

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 03:56 PM

Nothing on the TPWD Sharelunker FB page, they usually post them within 24 hours.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 04:10 PM

Gaspergou??
Posted By: doctorb

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 04:12 PM

The post actually said Canyon Lake and talked about catching some smallmouth so not Choke. I am very skeptical about this. We'll see.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Nothing on the TPWD Sharelunker FB page, they usually post them within 24 hours.

cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Topwater2
Gaspergou??

They would not send a drum to the Athens Hatchery!

Side Note: As already been stated by Ken A. I would love for this to be true! If not the angler who posted this in the freshwater section should be banned. Just my two cents.
Posted By: dbell47

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 04:43 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Dubee

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by doctorb
The post actually said Canyon Lake and talked about catching some smallmouth so not Choke. I am very skeptical about this. We'll see.

I must have missed something or a post got deleted. How did Choke get brought into the conversation?
Posted By: doctorb

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 05:16 PM

looks like it's deleted
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 05:22 PM

False , just spoke with the man in charge at ATHENS HATCHERY .
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
I would love for this to be true

That would be great news for sure! thumb

Side Note: I got a gut feeling that the post in the freshwater section of the forum is false. A post of a 16 plus pound Large Mouth Bass is "BIG News" in the fishing world, and hopefully the facts reported by the OP in the freshwater section are true. hmmm

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by BROWNING STRONG
False , just spoke with the man in charge at ATHENS HATCHERY .

Question Answered! thumb

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 05:28 PM

If you go to the TPWD Sharelunker page you won't see the 2 Legacy bass that have been caught so far! confused 3

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 05:32 PM

Correct they have 2 , but not a 16.73 . Spoke with the man in charge of sharelunker on the phone .
Originally Posted by BigDozer66
If you go to the TPWD Sharelunker page you won't see the 2 Legacy bass that have been caught so far! confused 3

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 05:32 PM

I could believe it, if it were was true. There has to be some pigs living in that lake somewheres. Guess it’s not true though.

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 05:33 PM

Correct they have 2 , but not a 16.73 . Spoke with the man in charge of sharelunker on the phone .

They are posted very quickly on their Facebook page though.

Nothing recent though. cheers
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 05:58 PM

I knew it was fake news the second I read it. A 17lb bass in Canyon lake? roflmao

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
I knew it was fake news the second I read it. A 17lb bass in Canyon lake? roflmao

Canyon Lake has some big bass. 11.61 Lb's is the lake record caught in 2001. Dunlap 14.97 back in 1997, Placid 12.66 in 1992, Mcqueeney 13.12 in 1996 and the Guadalupe River 12.11 in 2014. All of the lakes mentioned are fed by the Guadalupe River and are from Canyon Lake down. As mentioned the record bass on the Guadalupe River was caught just down from the Canyon Lake Trail Race. I am sure that Canyon Lake is holding some BIG BASS! Weather or not they will be caught is another story. I personally think it is possible to catch a 16 plus pound LMB out of Canyon Lake. thumb
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 06:52 PM

Years ago I saw a floater black bass near Craines Mill point that was the biggest bass I'd ever seen.
My personal best LMB is a 10.13 I caught out of Falcon lake and that floater would dwarf the one I caught.

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

Canyon Lake has some big bass. 11.61 Lb's is the lake record caught in 2001. Dunlap 14.97 back in 1997, Placid 12.66 in 1992, Mcqueeney 13.12 in 1996 and the Guadalupe River 12.11 in 2014. All of the lakes mentioned are fed by the Guadalupe River and are from Canyon Lake down. As mentioned the record bass on the Guadalupe River was caught just down from the Canyon Lake Trail Race. I am sure that Canyon Lake is holding some BIG BASS! Weather or not they will be caught is another story. I personally think it is possible to catch a 16 plus pound LMB out of Canyon Lake. thumb

10,12, maybe 14lbs is believable. Not almost 17lbs! To many big stripers in there to compete with.Canyon isn’t Falcon,Choke, etc. JMO.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 07:24 PM

10,12, maybe 14lbs is believable. Not almost 17lbs! To many big stripers in there to compete with.Canyon isn’t Falcon,Choke, etc. JMO.

PK has produced a 16lber. It's a deep canyon lake full of stripers

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 07:39 PM

Thanks for letting me know Dubee.

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dubee

PK has produced a 16lber. It's a deep canyon lake full of stripers

There used to be some good ones in Rayburn but what I have heard they aren't many around anymore. confused 3

We used to catch one or so every time we had trotlines out but haven't done that in a while.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 08:00 PM

Totally plausible, I catch 17 pound bass all the time and don’t even bother to take a pic because they are such commonplace. Besides, this is the lake reported to have Volkswagen sized Catfish at the damn. A big bass finally figured out where those catfish are finding their food source. My guess is the swim beaches!
Posted By: RCarter

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
Totally plausible, I catch 17 pound bass all the time and don’t even bother to take a pic because they are such commonplace. Besides, this is the lake reported to have Volkswagen sized Catfish at the damn. A big bass finally figured out where those catfish are finding their food source. My guess is the swim beaches!

Originally Posted by leethefishking

+1

banana
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 08:53 PM

I hope its true and congrats to the lucky angler.

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/28/21 08:55 PM

They are posted very quickly on their Facebook page though.

Nothing recent though. cheers

Originally Posted by Rescue Fire
I hope its true and congrats to the lucky angler.
Posted By: buda13

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/29/21 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dubee
Originally Posted by doctorb

I must have missed something or a post got deleted. How did Choke get brought into the conversation?

That was my bad.. edited my post.
Posted By: Fish2Chill 1

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/29/21 01:30 PM

Well Banker you just confirmed it. I must be terrible at fishing as I am still trying to break the 4 pound barrier at Canyon Lake. And that is after having fished it about 100 times.
Now Choke Canyon............different story.
grin
Posted By: Laker One

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/30/21 03:07 PM

I do not fish Canyon all that much. I also do not live that far from Canyon. A couple of years ago while fishing with a good friend of mine he hooked into a HUGE bass while we were fishing Canyon. He fought the fish for about 5 minutes and then lost it at the side of his kayak. I saw the fish and I am guessing between 8 to 10 pounds. My friend who was a lot closer was guessing 12 to 14 pounds. I have also spoken to a lot of anglers who fish Canyon and some even living close to the lake who all have said that there are some huge bass in that lake. As for weight you can only guess.

Side Note: As already been stated on a previous post, I also have seen a very big bass floating in the Cranes Mill area of the lake . Guessing the weight of the fish it looked to be well over 10 pounds.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: 16.73 Canyon Lake Bass ? - 01/30/21 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
I could believe it, if it were was true. There has to be some pigs living in that lake somewheres. Guess it’s not true though.

way back when (like 1980ish) I used to bank fish jacobs creek back to almost the dam, caught crawdads under rocks and tossed em for bass. poor boy jig feeshen!

caught quite a few 3-7# over about 4 yrs. and always wanted to be able to fish it deeper in the rocks. after some of the striper I caught in the guadalupe I could easily see a lm over 14 in that lake.

not sure how the bad floods we had affected it as I moved about 3 months after, dam was wide open and spillway overflowed for about 6 weeks then just the dam wfo. good times!

footnote: that was the flood yr. the tube rentals learned not to rent tubes over 3500cfs, river ran well over 10,000 for at least 3 weeks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum