Texas Fishing Forum

Florida strain-winter fishing harder?

Posted By: kirbydog

Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/23/21 09:39 PM

So were putting florida stain largemouth in many of our lakes. They crossbreed with northern strain fish and you end up getting
something in the middle. Subsequent spawns will alter the mix and you end up with fish that are maybe a little, maybe alot
florida genes.

Always heard the florida strain bass shut down with water under 50 degrees-so does introducing florida strain into
the gene pool mean that winter fishing is harder than it used to be? To me, it makes sense-what do you think.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/23/21 09:44 PM

Absolutely true. If you don’t have grass or really clear water, Florida strain bass F1 cross are much harder to catch in cold water compared to Native strain.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/23/21 09:55 PM

What he said.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/23/21 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by James Biggs
Absolutely true. If you don’t have grass or really clear water, Florida strain bass F1 cross are much harder to catch in cold water compared to Native strain.

Yep
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/23/21 10:08 PM

Yes. Now add weather changes to that and catching really gets tough. It is not just about cold water. I have caught them in cold water as long as all other weather conditions are stable. It is like it takes them 3 days to get use to a weather change. By then, during the winter another change takes place. We are really luck during our winter months to catch 3 or 4 days that everything is stable to allow one or two days of catching.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/23/21 10:44 PM

I know this. They are much more prone to lockjaw after a front passes thru than northern strain bass.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/23/21 11:10 PM

They say the lake I fish is pure Florida’s and I hate them. I want dumb fish that are easy to catch.
Posted By: LostHubbardFisherman

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/24/21 01:26 AM

Amen!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/24/21 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
I want dumb fish that are easy to catch.

You and me both, man.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/24/21 02:06 AM

Absolutely tougher fishing in the winter.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/24/21 04:15 AM

Pressure change, IMO, is the Florida strain lockjaw factor more so than cold water. The two together though makes for some tough catching.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/24/21 04:26 AM

I mainly fish Pool and once the water temps went below 55 fishing just died. Not just me, but everyone I talk to. I'm sure there are a few that can catch, but the average fisherman it's just tough. Can still catch a few white bass just to get my hands fishy, but bass fishing has been tough.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/24/21 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
I want dumb fish that are easy to catch.
Instead I have just the opposite. Dumb fisherman and fish that are hard to catch! laugh
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/24/21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Greg W
I mainly fish Pool and once the water temps went below 55 fishing just died. Not just me, but everyone I talk to. I'm sure there are a few that can catch, but the average fisherman it's just tough. Can still catch a few white bass just to get my hands fishy, but bass fishing has been tough.

Greg, when I lived out near Pool and it got cold I would fish the creek channel edges near the biggest trees I could find around good creek bends with a jig. It was a slow bite but usually would end up with at least a nice fish or two for the day.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/24/21 02:28 PM

Yes. I caution folks wanting to stock Florida's in their pond that tougher, inconsistent fishing is a trade-off in the pursuit of bigger max size. They will still eat in poor conditions but not like northern strains would in the same situation.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Florida strain-winter fishing harder? - 01/24/21 03:44 PM

Agreed!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum