Texas Fishing Forum

Side imaging=catch more bass?

Posted By: TimFish4Life

Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 06:17 PM

The title says it all, but for those of you ahead of me on the technology curve. I have traditional 2D and Down scan only. Do you truly think side scan has increased the amount of bass you caught over the years?
Posted By: skeeter61

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 06:20 PM

yes
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 06:51 PM

Yep! I honestly think 2D, down scan, and side scan are plenty to catch fish.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 07:24 PM

If you have structure offshore, then yes it helps. If you beat the banks, prob not much help. I mostly say that, because if you only beat the bank, you prob won’t take the time to learn what SI is showing you.

Now if you really want to increase your odds, add livescope and learn how to use it. (Unless you’re a bank beater)
Posted By: Tyler822

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 07:25 PM

Absolutely
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 07:49 PM

Works so well that both units on my console have side imaging transducers. Set one to left only and the other to right only. Cover twice the water that way with more detail.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 08:00 PM

Yes. The main thing it does is save a ton of time = more time fishing prime stuff.
Posted By: TimFish4Life

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 10:58 PM

That’s pretty much what I expected to hear. Just wanted to confirm before I start donating organs for the money needed lol.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 11:04 PM

There are several 3#-5# bass "over there" to the right that 2D sonar and Down Imaging would not have shown:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by TimFish4Life
That’s pretty much what I expected to hear. Just wanted to confirm before I start donating organs for the money needed lol.

You can buy used Gen2 or Gen3 Lowrance HDS with structure scan for way less than the going rate for a kidney.

See them as low as $200 from time to time cheers

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/23/21 11:10 PM

This shows the school of bass were not on the brushpile on the right side but on the left side of the boat.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 02:11 PM

no question about it side when you learn to use it is awsome
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Works so well that both units on my console have side imaging transducers. Set one to left only and the other to right only. Cover twice the water that way with more detail.

What? Why would you need two transducers?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

TFF....where there's no telling what new and interesting rigging secrets you will learn about! roflmao

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

TFF....where there's no telling what new and interesting rigging secrets you will learn about! roflmao

With helix you can display left and right like he claims but you dont need two transducers, you just need to select those views to display.

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

With helix you can display left and right like he claims but you dont need two transducers, you just need to select those views to display.

You can do the same with Lowrance. As for having 2 transducer, why not. If one fails or gets damages I still have the second one.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 03:40 PM

Absolutely, but only if you fish in 6+ feet of water.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 03:46 PM

For me, No... But that because of my style... The places I fish on the Ohio River are shallow creeks, 3 feet or less... But hey, I have the technology if I ever need it... Dan

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by WLBDallas
Absolutely, but only if you fish in 6+ feet of water.

With Side Imaging (a Humminbird thing) all you need is the transducer not buried in the bottom and the bottom flat enough to get some range.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I caught the bass shown at the lower left side in this screen shot:

[Linked Image]

360 is a rotating Side Imaging transducer, I was using the trolling motor as a shallow water anchor (motor touching bottom) while the 360 was scanning as I was looking for bass that were spawning near logs and stumps. Wasn't getting a depth reading since the transducer was buried in the bottom mud:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 04:06 PM

Yes.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 04:09 PM

Whe. I go full screen on my g3n helix for side it gets a bit fuzzy. Ive messed with the settings but not really able to clear it up to look like what others are getting. Maybe its a water clarity issue?

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
Whe. I go full screen on my g3n helix for side it gets a bit fuzzy. Ive messed with the settings but not really able to clear it up to look like what others are getting. Maybe its a water clarity issue?

What’s your range? I usually stay under 60’ unless really looking for deep brush piles etc.

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 05:16 PM

[quote=Jeff From Iowa]

You can do the same with Lowrance. As for having 2 transducer, why not. If one fails or gets damages I still have the second one.

Let’s see a pic. Of how your have them mounted.

Why not, because if you tear one off in some wood you very likely can tear them both off at the same time. I keep My spare ducer in my rv.

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 06:10 PM

Pre fishing for me on new water is usually riding around mid day the first day and side scanning marking brush rock ledges etc.

Then I’ll use that Info to decide where to start in the am.

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 06:32 PM

[quote=Jeff From Iowa]

Why not, because if you tear one off in some wood you very likely can tear them both off at the same time. I keep My spare ducer in my rv.

I have one mounted on my transom and the second one is on the jackplate on the opposite side of the transom. Chances of both getting damages at the same time are slime to none. Boats kept in storage so next time I haul it out I'll try to create a Kodak moment for you.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 09:32 PM

Always love looking at all the skeg marks in the mud with side imaging going up the river at Worth. Side imaging has definitely helped me put more fish in the boat and shorten the learning curve on new waters.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/26/21 10:31 PM

I have caught a handful of fish off of brushpiles I've marked with sidescan. However, my lakemaster chip has allowed me to catch more fish offshore than anything else.

I tend to look for contour irregularities offshore. On most lakes I can hit a couple different places at different depths and figure out what depth seems to be working the best for me. After catching a few fish, I can typically look at the chart and pick several places across the lake where I can duplicate the pattern.

I do recall 1 day on Lake Texoma where we couldn't catch a fish relating to structure. We were finding isolated brush piles on large flats and in the middle of creek channels and catching fish on almost every brush pile. That day we certainly caught way more fish because of the side scan.

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/27/21 12:49 AM

[quote=Jeff From Iowa]

I have one mounted on my transom and the second one is on the jackplate on the opposite side of the transom. Chances of both getting damages at the same time are slime to none. Boats kept in storage so next time I haul it out I'll try to create a Kodak moment for you.

[Linked Image]

Here ya go Jeff
Posted By: TexY3TI

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/27/21 02:04 AM

My Garmin gives me a good enough picture to find structure, but I never get images good enough to pinpoint Bass in open water....I can see fish, but I guess there’s not enough pixels in my unit to get a super clear image.

...which begs the question, how many of you guys are looking for fish with side scan vs. looking for structure. My tendency now is to find structure and get enough piles and rocks to work a rotation. I can’t actually see fish on the structure anyways and fish in open water that I mark are never there when I go back to them...

Just some thoughts....
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Side imaging=catch more bass? - 01/27/21 02:13 AM

100 percent
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum