Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Fairfield 1/21/21

Posted By: Overworked2020

Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/22/21 04:25 PM

Buddy called me yesterday and wanted to make run to Fairfield. He's been telling me it's fishing good and been seeing lots of post about good fish. We got to the lake about 10:45am. Despite being wet the weather wasn't too cold. We didn't get a bite for 2hrs. Only saw 2 other boats. We were almost ready to call it quits then we hit a stretch of bank and the fish woke up. In a 50yrd stretch we caught 7 solid fish. All on rattle traps. Nothing bigger than 4lbs, but they were hitting it good. Then about 30 minutes later we hit another stretch and caught 5 more fish. My buddy caught 3 on chatterbait. Fished another 45 minutes and decided to call it quits. Over all a good day on the water. These fish fought very hard unlike most winter time bass.
Posted By: Overworked2020

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/22/21 09:40 PM

Does anyone know when the power plant comes back online?
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/22/21 09:45 PM

don't believe that power plant is coming back online at all
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/22/21 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Overworked2020

in 10 years
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/22/21 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenix 920 Pro xp

in 10 years

In 10 years it won’t even be there. Lol
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/22/21 10:33 PM

Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 12:21 AM

Monticello and Fairfield are both scheduled to open back up next year.........
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 12:42 AM

They are dismantling the plant. State park is approved for at least a few more years, but the plant is done. With the cost of wind and solar continuing to come down this will be the new norm.

Glad you caught fish. Sure the overcast skies helped the moving bait bite. My last trip 3 weeks ago was blue clear skis and only caught 1.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Greg W
They are dismantling the plant. State park is approved for at least a few more years, but the plant is done. With the cost of wind and solar continuing to come down this will be the new norm.

Glad you caught fish. Sure the overcast skies helped the moving bait bite. My last trip 3 weeks ago was blue clear skis and only caught 1.

Word.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by 361V

Lol
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 01:18 AM

riiiiiight!!!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 01:19 AM

thumb

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 02:35 AM

Monti and Fairfield will likely run stacks before Squaw reopens their ramp.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 03:23 AM

LOL
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Monti and Fairfield will likely run stacks before Squaw reopens their ramp.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 06:02 PM

I hear China is building new coal plants left and right.. DO they have bass over there?

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca
I hear China is building new coal plants left and right.. DO they have bass over there?

Now that’s an idea! Probably get a new Chinese bass boat that looks just like a Vexus for about $2000 there.
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/23/21 11:23 PM

Was told some investors from California bought Monticello. and the land . Can anyone confirm ?
Posted By: AWT786

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/24/21 01:27 AM

Big brown isn't opening back up. Don't believe it, she is done and is being dismantled.

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/24/21 02:04 AM

And Gibbons Creek, too! hammer
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/24/21 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by BROWNING STRONG
Was told some investors from California bought Monticello. and the land . Can anyone confirm ?

sick I hope not, I'm afraid something like that happens to fairfield state park
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/24/21 12:10 PM

Buddy called me yesterday and wanted to make run to Fairfield. He's been telling me it's fishing good and been seeing lots of post about good fish. We got to the lake about 10:45am. Despite being wet the weather wasn't too cold. We didn't get a bite for 2hrs. Only saw 2 other boats. We were almost ready to call it quits then we hit a stretch of bank and the fish woke up. In a 50yrd stretch we caught 7 solid fish. All on rattle traps. Nothing bigger than 4lbs, but they were hitting it good. Then about 30 minutes later we hit another stretch and caught 5 more fish. My buddy caught 3 on chatterbait. Fished another 45 minutes and decided to call it quits. Over all a good day on the water. These fish fought very hard unlike most winter time bass.

We fished there Fri & Sat. Pretty much the same thing. Light switch on. Light switch off. Ours was a little more disgusting, though. As soon as we got to our first spot, it was absolutely on! One of the best one hour time frames of fishing that I've ever experienced. We boated approx 12 fish that went from 3 to 6 pounds during that hour, and each of us lost bigger fish than what was boated. If we would have caught all that bit we should have had prolly 20 good fish, no dinks, all 3lbs plus. Every one of them came on traps. We were putting on a clinic so much that Bill Wilcox came closer to see what we were doing. He said this episode will air at first of March. Just wondered if he filmed any of us, doubt it. We told him what we were using and he put one on, too. The flurry didn't last long enough, although, I can admit that I was physically tired of fighting those big, mean fish after an hour's time.

Now, here's the sobering part of the fishing trip. The rest of Friday we ended up with 3 more fish, that's all! Saturday morn, our plans were to duplicate what we did Fri morning. Not one dang fish in there, or at least that would bite. Pathetic. We fished all over that lake without a bite yesterday, so we left at 1pm and headed home. Was our heads between our legs for how we finished up? A little, but more so thinking about how the trip started and how the rest of the trip played out. We were totally stumped. noidea noidea noidea noidea To say that Fairfield fish group up is a huge understatement. This was my 2nd time on the lake ever and I know there are folks that are catching them consistently, but we've got a lot of learning to do before we can say that we can do that. I still love that lake and I will be back when the water temps increase by 10 degrees. There are a tremendous amount of good fish in that lake!
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/24/21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke

We fished there Fri & Sat. Pretty much the same thing. Light switch on. Light switch off. Ours was a little more disgusting, though. As soon as we got to our first spot, it was absolutely on! One of the best one hour time frames of fishing that I've ever experienced. We boated approx 12 fish that went from 3 to 6 pounds during that hour, and each of us lost bigger fish than what was boated. If we would have caught all that bit we should have had prolly 20 good fish, no dinks, all 3lbs plus. Every one of them came on traps. We were putting on a clinic so much that Bill Wilcox came closer to see what we were doing. He said this episode will air at first of March. Just wondered if he filmed any of us, doubt it. We told him what we were using and he put one on, too. The flurry didn't last long enough, although, I can admit that I was physically tired of fighting those big, mean fish after an hour's time.

Now, here's the sobering part of the fishing trip. The rest of Friday we ended up with 3 more fish, that's all! Saturday morn, our plans were to duplicate what we did Fri morning. Not one dang fish in there, or at least that would bite. Pathetic. We fished all over that lake without a bite yesterday, so we left at 1pm and headed home. Was our heads between our legs for how we finished up? A little, but more so thinking about how the trip started and how the rest of the trip played out. We were totally stumped. noidea noidea noidea noidea To say that Fairfield fish group up is a huge understatement. This was my 2nd time on the lake ever and I know there are folks that are catching them consistently, but we've got a lot of learning to do before we can say that we can do that. I still love that lake and I will be back when the water temps increase by 10 degrees. There are a tremendous amount of good fish in that lake!

Try a spinnerbait same way let it tick the grass jerk it loose. Red craw cranks work great just stay around grass.
My son and I have had some monster days on Fairfield.

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/24/21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke

Anyone that fishes, probably has more than one instance of killing them on one day and sucking the next. I know it has happened to me on several occasions.

I wouldn't label Fairfield a numbers lake but it has some really nice fish in it. I firmly believe that it is because of its fantastic bluegill population. Bastrop is my favorite lake because I can usually find the fish. They aren't going to be monsters. just numbers of them. My biggest bass is a little over 6 pounds and that was years ago. I believe Bastrop doesn't produce a lot of large fish because of the forage. I never see any panfish there. My Wife fishes a small crankbait and always winds up catching a perch or two anywhere she fishes. She has never caught one on Bastrop.

I will also give Fairfield a little time to warm up before I fish it again.
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Lake Fairfield 1/21/21 - 01/24/21 06:37 PM

Plant will never be reopened. They are dismantling it. TPW will be maintaining park only.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum