Texas Fishing Forum

A Line Life Question!

Posted By: BassAttack1225

A Line Life Question! - 01/22/21 07:41 AM

I've been between boats... and just haven't fished as much as i've wanted to. I've got Seaguar Red Label on most of my rods.... I put it on last March, and fished for a full week with it. And i literally have not made a cast since... Question is... is the life of the line more predicated off of its use? Or the time spent on the reel? Just wanted to know if I can fish with it after using it a week, 10 months ago, or if i should restart? Thank you so much for your input. GOD BLESS!
Posted By: James P.

Re: A Line Life Question! - 01/22/21 10:15 AM

If it’s been in your shed out side in the heat I would replace. If it’s been in a controlled environment should be ok. I would stretch the line out to get all the memory out.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: A Line Life Question! - 01/22/21 01:34 PM

Change it out.

I will change my line after one day of fishing if I've been fishing around a lot of brush. The line is our weakest link between us and what we love. Think about this. Between now and the end of April the fish the fish are at their heaviest. You have better odds of catching your PB in the next 90 days than ever so why risk it.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: A Line Life Question! - 01/22/21 01:53 PM

If just fun fishing I'd let it ride. Going out for giants, swap it out, especially on flipping rods. I have had InvizX on reels for 12 months with regular use between changing, but I'm more picky about rods that will be used in heavy cover. You'll have substantial memory to deal with if you don't change it.
Posted By: 361V

Re: A Line Life Question! - 01/22/21 02:00 PM

Cast them out. Is the line all coiled(memory)? If “NO” then you’re good👍. If “YES” and it looks like a Slinky then either try pulling tension and straightening it or REPLACE it w/new line. The only issue with Copoly, Mono or Fluorocarbon is whether it still is supple and lays flat or has developed memory and is all coiled. Your fishing line DID NOT rot in less than a year!
Posted By: GreaseMonkey

Re: A Line Life Question! - 01/22/21 02:35 PM

Change it out to braid and tie a 4ft flouro leader on it. If you use 20-30lb braid, tie on a lower test flouro, then set drag according to test of flouro. The braid can last for an entire year as you change out your leader often and don't lose any braid except for a foot or so on leader retie. This way you dont have to ask yourself whether or not your reel full of mono/flouro is still good.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: A Line Life Question! - 01/22/21 05:00 PM

Heat and sunlight will not (is not supposed to according to manufacturers) deteriorate fluorocarbon. There is a soft bait company that says that also but I have seen evidence to contrary. Now Red Label feels really rigid and unmanageable to me to begin with. It's a budget friendly fluorocarbon and maybe that is why. If you try to stretch it like others have suggested maybe put some conditioner on it as you reel back in. Might help.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: A Line Life Question! - 01/22/21 05:36 PM

Red label is horrible after 6 months...I quickly dumped it and went to a better flouro Sunline Sniper. I replace all my line at the beginning of each year. But I don't 100% respool. I strip down to about 25% left on the spool and use that as a backing. That way I'm not burning a ton of $$$ on flouro.

Braid I replace every 2 years unless it's heavily faded or frayed up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum