Texas Fishing Forum

Too early for frogs?

Posted By: McLovin’

Too early for frogs? - 01/20/21 11:55 PM

Thoughts?
Just walked back in from the back 40 and heard a bunch of frogs around the lake.
Thinking I might have to sling one this weekend...I know it’s early, but....I’m going to give it a shot
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 12:34 AM

They will eat a frog year round. Bass ain’t picky. Just gotta find the right lake and stretch of water.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 01:07 AM

If it is warm enough and frogs are out bass will eat them
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
They will eat a frog year round. Bass ain’t picky. Just gotta find the right lake and stretch of water.

cheers
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 01:55 AM

One day bigfishtx and I were pre-fishing for Bassmaster Open on Lew about 10 years ago and there were bass eating frogs in 45 degree water in the shallow grass. It was unbelievable. I will be throwing a frog on Fri and Sat down at Fairfield. If you have cloudy conditions, I really don't think it matters what the water temps are, especially if you're fishing a lake that the bass stay shallow on the whole year. Lew is one of those...

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 02:08 AM

Thanks fellas....you talked me into it!
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 12:26 PM

Wasn't there a Pro, a few years ago, that said that of ALL the YEARS he had spent on the water ....he had never seen a bass EAT a natural frog.

They would strike them, but then expel them, every time.

He still used artificial frogs a lot, and caught some monsters on them, as have I. But interesting that they never really eat them.

Of course they don't eat many live spinnerbaits either.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 12:38 PM

54 degree water temp is as cold as I’ve caught em...but that was Rayburn where they always chew a frog.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Big Hopper

Exactly , I bought some custom crankbaits at a show for a great price because they had "flaws" in the paint jobs. Hmmmm , I guess the hooks don't bother them but a little flaw in the dorsal fin turns em off. confused 3
Posted By: G Love

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Hopper
Wasn't there a Pro, a few years ago, that said that of ALL the YEARS he had spent on the water ....he had never seen a bass EAT a natural frog.

They would strike them, but then expel them, every time.

He still used artificial frogs a lot, and caught some monsters on them, as have I. But interesting that they never really eat them.

Watched one eat a Bullfrog in a stock tank on our place, that was keeping size. Big frog.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 03:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdj0Vok8-pw
Posted By: 361V

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 03:39 PM

Ya, I’ve never really thought a bass thought what fisherman call a “FROG” was a Frog. No “thought process” to it. Just something moving enticingly across the waters surface. Hmmmm, “let’s eat that”! Regardless, can’t argue their effectiveness.....winter or summer! Cool video!👍
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 03:42 PM

Caught em on a buzz bait & a floating jerkbait in 50 degree water pretty consistently on Fork when there was grass. Coldest I ever caught em on a frog was probably 58
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by G Love

Watched one eat a Bullfrog in a stock tank on our place, that was keeping size. Big frog.

Did someone say big frog?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 04:40 PM

I always have one tied on and in the boat. If I come across some water or conditions it feels right I throw it. Have caught some in 48 degree water.

Learned a lesson prefishing Rayburn several years ago in early January. .Got back in a creek and was catching one here and there on jigs and T rigs. Water was in the 40s. Kept seeing an occasional swirl or splash. Day was warming up and getting nice. Grabbed a buzzbait and first cast was a 4lber. Rest of day was a blast catching fish on top.

I always keep a buzzbait, frog abd topwater rigged and ready now. Its paid off since.
Posted By: ETXfisher91

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/21/21 06:00 PM

Frog all year round...
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/25/21 12:49 PM

its only just called a frog. it mimics many more things than a frog.
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/25/21 02:05 PM

I caught a 2#r at Sandlin a few years ago that had the tail and hind foot of a mouse sticking out of its throat.

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/25/21 06:00 PM

Well guys, I tried it but no luck
Water temp 50...but in my (and the frogs) defense, they didn’t eat anything else well either. Caught 1 fish on Texas rig worm.
I’m going to give it another shot as it warms up a little this week.

Appreciate the advice and stories.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Too early for frogs? - 01/25/21 07:41 PM

Caught one small fish on frog Sat and missed a real good one
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum