Texas Fishing Forum

Yamaha Sho Question

Posted By: rickys

Yamaha Sho Question - 01/20/21 09:32 PM

I have a 2019 250 Sho, and I was talking with a buddy the other day. He said he was told by a couple folks not to run a Sho with a Tuff Skin cover on. He didn't have a reason for it. Has anyone else heard, or been told this? I've run one on mine for two years with no issues. Thanks!
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/20/21 09:40 PM

I don't have a Tuff Skin but I do run mine with an Outdoor Covers of America cover and have for a couple years.

No problems what so ever. cheers
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/20/21 09:50 PM

As long as its vent3d I don't see what the issue is. Outboards are water cooled anyway.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/20/21 09:54 PM

I've heard that about all outboards, some say they keep the heat in, don't really think they do much.
Posted By: J-2

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 12:11 AM

I’ve run an Outboard Covers of America cover 24/7 on my last 5 boats with zero issues.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
I've heard that about all outboards, some say they keep the heat in, don't really think they do much.

The engine cover is a better insulator to retain heat than a thin cover.
Posted By: docntx

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 12:25 AM

I have been running a cover for 3 years and never had an issue with engine temps.

Doc

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

The engine cover is a better insulator to retain heat than a thin cover.

cheers
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 02:34 AM

That is the reason, keeping heat in. Not a problem in winter.
Posted By: TCCowboy64

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 02:39 AM

Use the vented covers. Allows engine to breathe and save fuel.
Posted By: angleiron

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 02:39 AM

These motors are not overheating because of a cover. Just make sure they’re not restricting airflow.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 03:09 AM

An engine cover that covers your engine cover? Now that’s funny!.....oh sorry🤪! There was an issue many years ago with some of the “engine covers” not having vents(breathable mesh) where the primary ridged factory cover(engine cowling) was vented. Pretty sure all the engine cover engine covers are vented now?
Posted By: Skeeter John

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 06:04 PM

Good info. Thanks
Posted By: rickys

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 06:17 PM

thumb
Posted By: docntx

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 06:37 PM

Yes, vented covers are the only option. As far as using a cover for your cowling, If you had ever experienced fishing flooded timber on Rayburn and had your cowling damaged you might have a different view about purchasing a cowling cover. If you like to keep your equipment in good shape, the cover is much cheaper than repairing a cowling.

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by docntx
Yes, vented covers are the only option. As far as using a cover for your cowling, If you have ever experienced fishing flooded timber on Rayburn and had your cowling damaged you might have a different view about purchasing a cowling cover. If you like to keep your equipment in good shape, the cover is much cheaper than repairing a cowling.

cheers

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by GarySHO

Haven't had any problems with them in Summer but I guess it isn't really that hot here in East Texas. sarcastic
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Yamaha Sho Question - 01/21/21 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by GarySHO

Haven't had any problems with them in Summer but I guess it isn't really that hot here in East Texas. sarcastic
I think it has more to do with trying to keep operating temps close to a certain temp for optimal emissions. Every engine has a DESIGNED temp during operation to reach for least amount of emissions and optimal burn temp in cylinder and your tuner which in turn may impact the amount of fuel injected. Now whether it makes enough of a difference....probably not, too many other variables. The same engine is running in Alaska the same time one is running at the equator, do both need same treatment? Just being devil's advocate, I personally don't run one but have thought about a thin one or some kind of wrap to protect it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum