Texas Fishing Forum

Tawakoni - Winter LM Bass?

Posted By: JPower6

Tawakoni - Winter LM Bass? - 01/17/21 02:03 PM

Hey folks looking for some advice on Tawakoni in the Winter. In the Spring through the fall I really like taking my son out here to fish, we have a pattern that works = shallow. What I am trying to learn is if the LM Bass go deep in the winter? I have always heard that for Tawakoni that your trolling motor needed to kick up mud, but for winter I don't think so... This lake seems to fish very differently from others, as I have tried looking at a lot of primary points on the southside near the damn (clearer water) but haven't really had any success finding them. North of the 2 mile bridge lately has been only 2-3" visibility. We can still catch some smalls shallow, but putting a pattern together for them in the winter has been rough. Any advice?

note - I ain't asking for your honey hole spots (although welcome to give) just trying to educate myself more on how the pattern works on Tawakoni.

Appreciate it!

JP
Posted By: billynjuls

Re: Tawakoni - Winter LM Bass? - 01/17/21 06:15 PM

I have tried fishing out there deeper with no luck. Not for just a little while, but for days. I have personally talked to guys who are “sticks” on that lake and they stay extremely shallow all winter. I’m told it’s an older lake that’s silted in so there’s not a lot of structure out deep to holdl them. If you do find them, let me know. I’ve been graphing and trying for a while. I even went on google earth and marked about a hundred spots when the lake was extremely low and haven’t had any success.

Re: Tawakoni - Winter LM Bass? - 01/17/21 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by billynjuls
I have tried fishing out there deeper with no luck. Not for just a little while, but for days. I have personally talked to guys who are “sticks” on that lake and they stay extremely shallow all winter. I’m told it’s an older lake that’s silted in so there’s not a lot of structure out deep to holdl them. If you do find them, let me know. I’ve been graphing and trying for a while. I even went on google earth and marked about a hundred spots when the lake was extremely low and haven’t had any success.

Thanks - at least I am not the only one that has spent countless hours trying to graph spots that based on the contour lines, creek lines and google earth that should be money, only to find nothing. I guess I need to get back into the stump coves and check them out (I should of kept my older boat for this).

I'll let you know if I ever figure this lake out - lol

JP
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Tawakoni - Winter LM Bass? - 01/17/21 10:46 PM

"Deeper" on Tawakoni (to me) means 4-8 feet of water instead of 1-4 feet of water

Re: Tawakoni - Winter LM Bass? - 01/18/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
"Deeper" on Tawakoni (to me) means 4-8 feet of water instead of 1-4 feet of water

I hear you on this - I think you are spot on for this lake!

JP
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Tawakoni - Winter LM Bass? - 01/19/21 07:03 PM

there are a few locals out there that can catch the biggest sacks of the year in Jan/Feb. They have it dialed in. I cant figure out how they do it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum