Texas Fishing Forum

Prescription Polarized Sunglasses

Posted By: Clark Reehm

Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 01:51 PM

What are your thoughts on nice prescription polarized sunglasses?
Posted By: fastpitchfan

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 02:11 PM

Must have for me, love my Ray-bans but they are a little pricey with the tri-focals.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 02:14 PM

I'm too rough on sunglasses. Cocoon fit overs for me. https://cocoonseyewear.com/
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 02:16 PM

For an old fart like me they are worth it, especially since I wear bifocals. I didn't spend big bucks in case I dropped them overboard, so I had my local Walmart use my new prescription in some old frames, added polarization and Ray Ban tint.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 02:20 PM

Sport Rx is the best place to get them. They have every pair of Costas and Oakley. I have 2 pair of costas from them. One with blue mirror and one with sunrise silver.
Posted By: Techfisher

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 02:21 PM

I looked into getting the pair of Costas I have turned into prescription sunglasses....at $400.00 a pop NO way...!! I did as other posters and just got a pair of dark glasses with the anti-glare coating and called it good. If I loose them no big deal...less than $100.00 into them.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 02:43 PM

Best thing I have ever done. It was getting to where I would see a tree in the distance and think it was a boat.
I had no line glasses made and went with Ziess mirrored lens. The only problem with any prescription sunglasses is you can’t get glass lens and they scratch.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 02:52 PM

For me they are a must have. Don’t care for fit overs, so prescription it is. I used to be a die hard costa fan but they got way out of line when LensCrafters started carrying them. I have found that Maui Jim is a very good alternative.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 03:05 PM

I had to get them. My contacts would dry up bad when Im fishing.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by fastpitchfan
Must have for me, love my Ray-bans but they are a little pricey with the tri-focals.

I landed on the raybans as well. I got the cheapest last go round a couple years ago and what an amazing difference in optical clarity. I am sure any premium brand will have quality polarized lenses. Ray Ban was just the most comfy and made me look like a rock star.....well I do not look as good as Keith Richards but if ugly means rock star then I got that for sure. Luckily my wife has bad taste in me.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 03:49 PM

https://www.glassesusa.com/mens-sunglasses

I bought a pair of Oakleys from them for a decent price with progressive and polarized lenses.

Recently picked up a pair of Costa's with readers that I am realy liking as well.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 05:07 PM

I am slightly nearsighted. I can wear off the shelf sunglasses and they work for me just fine. I bought a pair of Maui Jim's at Lencrafters, seemed to make sense that I had a prescription that didn't require me wearing glasses all the time to get sunglasses. That was a couple of years ago and frankly, I rarely wear them. In hindsight, it was a really expensive ($500) experiment that I won't do again. I got a pair of Clic readers to use on the water for tying knots, I need to get used to that.
Posted By: Lynn

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 06:08 PM

I've got 2 pair of WileyX prescription sunglasses. They are awesome!
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 08:07 PM

Lasik is about $4k depending where you go. Get them fixed permanently and stop paying for prescription glasses that break or get lost. For me, I have 3-4 lenses that I use depending on light conditions. I also don’t use my fishing glasses for driving or anything else. They stay in the boat always. I have 7-8 pairs of Costas and Maui Jims and none are prescription. That would be $3-4k in prescriptions if I went that route.
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 08:12 PM

I would be interested and have at least 2 others I know who would be also.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/15/21 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 9094
Best thing I have ever done. It was getting to where I would see a tree in the distance and think it was a boat.
I had no line glasses made and went with Ziess mirrored lens. The only problem with any prescription sunglasses is you can’t get glass lens and they scratch.

got a pr. thru the va in progressive lens, blue mirror glass, easily as good as my costas and a lot cheaper. wish I had got the single view lens tho, the bottom drives me nuts. I think they cost about 250.00 all in, if ya have access to the va check there.

won the gift card for guessing weight from basschamps, got a pr. of single view blue mirror amphibias but still had to lay out about 250.00 on top of the 200 gift card. was worth it I think but they are plastic lenses.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/16/21 04:09 AM

Maui Jim prescription shades are the best I’ve owned.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/16/21 04:26 AM

Check out Shady Rays..... I've been wearing for a few months. They are sturdy, well made and stylish. Great customer service, and fast. Progressive bifocals for me.
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/16/21 06:02 PM

I have a pair of prescription Costa with progressive lenses. Very pricey but I love them.
Posted By: redmojo

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/17/21 02:27 AM

I own 1 pair of authentic Maui Jim prescription sunglasses and 2 pair of authentic Costas and wouldn't buy anything else! Yes very expensive but worth it. Prescription authentic Maui's will run between $600 and $800 for single vision and I got glass lenses for both Costas and they were around $550 with my own frame I believe for each set.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/17/21 06:28 PM

Good lord, paying $800 for prescription polarized sunglasses is insanity.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/17/21 07:37 PM

I got some prescription polarized Oakleys recently and I got a headache and nauseous the first time I wore them. I am a 99% of the time contact wearer and bought these to wear my glasses more and still be able to put sunglasses on. Jury is still out on whether I am going to get used to them or not.
Posted By: Neches

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/17/21 07:48 PM

I have Maui Jim progressive lens. Crazy expensive but it sure is nice to see everything. Up close and far away.
Posted By: Cplatt

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/18/21 04:42 PM

I need some for sure but they are too far out of my budget, I just have to deal with wearing my Costa's for now. It sucks but i've managed to make it work.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/18/21 06:02 PM

Those with the costas did you go glass or plastic lenses? I’m concerned about scratch resistance with the plastic.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/18/21 07:09 PM

Been thinking about getting prescription sunglasses for quite some time. The ones I will probably go with are the Solar Bats, the reasons being:
a). The founder, Dr. Gary Nesty, is (or was) a tournament bass fisherman and knows what bass fishermen need.
b). His Pro Staff reads like a "who's who" of professional bass fishing, from Aaron Martens to Bill Dance
c). They seem to be the most affordable, starting at around $330.
d). They can be made with conventional lined bifocals or progressive (no-line) lenses

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/19/21 12:27 AM

I went with glass on my 2 pair of Costas. Clarity is superior and so is the scratch resistance. They are much heavier but worth the trade off since I'm rough on them while fishing. Maui no longer makes glass lenses for their prescription line.
Posted By: Cast_Away

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/19/21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by T Bird
I'm too rough on sunglasses. Cocoon fit overs for me. https://cocoonseyewear.com/

+1
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/19/21 03:56 AM

Been wearing Costa Rx since they came out. Love them and since I do some bartering with my optometrist the $600 price tag is not that bad.
Posted By: CB Frog

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/19/21 04:13 AM

I’ve been through 2 pairs of Maui Jim rx and 1 pair of Costa rx. The Maui’s cracked twice where the lense and frame connect. The Costas are not very scratch resistant. I’m on a pair of Wiley x and so far so good. A little cheaper Thant Maui’ Jim’s and Costa too.
Posted By: cjbles

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/19/21 03:49 PM

I've had both Costa and Oakley. Loved them both but like the green Costa lens the best. They are $$$ tough. Luckily my eyes don't change much year over year and get 2 - 3 years out of them.
Posted By: SNAKEBIT

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/19/21 07:57 PM

bought some Wiley X from SPORT-RX this year.
bifocal, polarized, anti reflect, anti scratch,brown tint,.
they are not Wiley X lenses as Sport RX uses their own lens.
i think you can also spec the Wiley X lense, for more money !
really like them so far.
Posted By: Richard G

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/19/21 08:15 PM

For me it was a game changer, for the better. I can't see much past my nose without my glasses. I had a pair of single vision sun glasses and was constantly taking them off to see my sonar and then putting them on to see if front of me. I got polarized, tinted, progressive bifocal sunglasses and haven't regretted spending the money. I got wrap around Maui Jim's and they work very well.

Richard
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/19/21 08:59 PM

I’ve owned polarized RX Costa’s, Maui Jim’s and Ray Ban’s. I wouldn’t give you $20 for another pair of Costa’s as their workmanship is garbage. Maui’s lasted a couple of years before the lens wore. I have Ray name now. I like them because they have metal all the way around the lens. Not sure how they’ll hold up, but so far so good
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/20/21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jobie99
I’ve owned polarized RX Costa’s, Maui Jim’s and Ray Ban’s. I wouldn’t give you $20 for another pair of Costa’s as their workmanship is garbage. Maui’s lasted a couple of years before the lens wore. I have Ray name now. I like them because they have metal all the way around the lens. Not sure how they’ll hold up, but so far so good

What didn't hold up well with Costas?

Re: Prescription Polarized Sunglasses - 01/21/21 02:39 AM

I just to make sure people know their is a massive difference between Costa or Maui frames with regular sunglass lenses and lenses actually from Maui Jim or Costa. Fantastic warranty and superior quality.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum