Texas Fishing Forum

Steel Shad?

Posted By: Liebers Dad

Steel Shad? - 01/13/21 01:53 AM

Wasting time searching new baits and came across this thing called Steel Shad. Anyone used 'em? Heard of 'em? They LOOK good, but then again I'd been dead long ago if I was a fish because most of 'em look good to me!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Steel Shad? - 01/13/21 02:09 PM

Looks like a gay blade
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Steel Shad? - 01/13/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S
Looks like a gay blade

And thats not a knock on your sexual preference... lol

Cordell makes a blade bait they named Gay Blade and it was very popular with the smallmouth guys up north. It works well in cold water especially when the threadfin shad start to die off in the winter. The Steel Shad is another copy.
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Steel Shad? - 01/13/21 02:44 PM

They are a saltwater bait. I guide on KY Lake uses them for bass. I had 3 until I lost one on Rayburn last week.
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Steel Shad? - 01/13/21 03:31 PM

Looks like the old Silver Buddy fishing lure that Billy Westmoreland used to praise on his fishing show back in the 80's
Posted By: 361V

Re: Steel Shad? - 01/13/21 05:03 PM

Gay Blade, Silver Buddy Lure, Rapala Rap V Blade bait.......looks like another version of the various “blade baits”. Kinda a more stealthy approach to a rattle trap and most can be jigged in deeper water real well.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Steel Shad? - 01/13/21 05:32 PM

Pretty Good Video about Blade Baits

Blade Baits - Wintertime
Posted By: Liebers Dad

Re: Steel Shad? - 01/14/21 03:40 PM

thanks y'all. my thought was to use them vertical jigging for smallies.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Steel Shad? - 01/14/21 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Liebers Dad
thanks y'all. my thought was to use them vertical jigging for smallies.

Thats what they're intended for. Notice they have two line tie positions on top. The position it is set in the pic is for vertical jigging. It keeps the bait more level as you Yo-Yo it up & down. The front line tie is for casting and will make the bait run slightly shallower as you retrieve it.
Posted By: pacertom

Re: Steel Shad? - 01/14/21 04:03 PM

I used something identical to this growing up in Indiana ice fishing....obviously fishing vertical and similar to a slab. Worked very well for largemouth and pike.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum