Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn is Dead

Posted By: mudd

Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 09:13 PM

How dare him weigh 40-10 on Rayburn today. Crazy day yet again to start the season on Rayburn
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 09:18 PM

Lol, saw the pics. Crazy
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 09:20 PM

Watch it still take 12lbs to get a check haha. That lake has 2 classes of fish....6+ and a ton of 2-3's. She'll be back one day though
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 09:26 PM

where can we see the results and pics? Thanks!

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jimfishes
where can we see the results and pics? Thanks!

Probably bfl website but there's over 200 boats. They'll be weighing in a while. He weighed in early and another guy had over 30 I believe.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 09:47 PM

Who?
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 09:51 PM

Ok, thanks Jarrett

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Who?

Derek Mundy
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 09:57 PM

Weigh in link

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 10:36 PM

Lol 15lbs is 5th so far....
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 11:12 PM

only lake in the country 40 pounds will win and take 10 pounds to get a check lol.

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/02/21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Barrett
only lake in the country 40 pounds will win and take 10 pounds to get a check lol.

You ain't kidding. "Rayburn is back though" haha
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 02:37 AM

I had heard the rumors of someone with 30+ and they didn't have a limit yet! OMG
Posted By: 1bas

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 04:36 AM

Anyone who thinks Rayburn is back, apparently did not fish there prior to 1998. It was pretty good from 05 thru 11. But in either case it's only a shell of its former self. I fished several tournaments in the 90's where 20lbs wouldn't get a check paying 30-40 places. In either 93 or 94, Mc Donalds tournament there was 124 or 127 bass over 8lbs. It still has great moments, but between not much grass and waaaay too much fishing pressure, I don't believe we will ever see the consistent HEAVY weigh ins again.

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 04:37 AM

Anyone who thinks Rayburn is back, apparently did not fish there prior to 1998. It was pretty good from 05 thru 11. But in either case it's only a shell of its former self. I fished several tournaments in the 90's where 20lbs wouldn't get a check paying 30-40 places. In either 93 or 94, Mc Donalds tournament there was 124 or 127 bass over 8lbs. It still has great moments, but between not much grass and waaaay too much fishing pressure, I don't believe we will ever see the consistent HEAVY weigh ins again.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by 1bas

Kinda spot on.

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by RayBob

Kinda spot on.

Just a few years ago 20lbs didn't get a check in 50th place in a basschamps. The lake was packed with 3-6lbers. Now it's really hard to find fish over 4 and 5's are almost non existent. You literally are more likely to catch a 6.5-7 than a 5. Not that you catch many of those either. The good news is that the lake packed with 2-3lbers so we'll see....
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

Kinda spot on.

Just a few years ago 20lbs didn't get a check in 50th place in a basschamps. The lake was packed with 3-6lbers. Now it's really hard to find fish over 4 and 5's are almost non existent. You literally are more likely to catch a 6.5-7 than a 5. Not that you catch many of those either. The good news is that the lake packed with 2-3lbers so we'll see....

Lot of us thought the same thing about Amistad when the hydrilla came back.. After a couple of good spawns there were small fish everywhere which led most to believe that in a couple of years those would be good quality fish and the lake would make a return... Not so.. If anything it's gotten worse.
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 05:11 PM

Lot of us thought the same thing about Amistad when the hydrilla came back.. After a couple of good spawns there were small fish everywhere which led most to believe that in a couple of years those would be good quality fish and the lake would make a return... Not so.. If anything it's gotten worse. [/quote]

Man I miss the glory days of Amistad. It was so much fun. I enjoyed it just as much as the Fork and Falcon glory days.

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 07:11 PM

Both choke and amistad are fishing better, choke especially but I feel that'll last about a year after choke gets her guts beat in. I've already seen a bunch of guides offering trips there. I don't blame them, I'd do it also, it just can't sustain it. Enjoy it while you can is my motto.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 07:25 PM

Both choke and amistad are fishing better, choke especially but I feel that'll last about a year after choke gets her guts beat in. I've already seen a bunch of guides offering trips there. I don't blame them, I'd do it also, it just can't sustain it. Enjoy it while you can is my motto.

better than what ??
Choke yes .. Amistad --- is and has been horrible.

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by fishnfireman

better than what ??
Choke yes .. Amistad --- is and has been horrible.

Better than past few years.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 10:50 PM

Kinda spot on.

It's year class recruitment obviously. Those springs we had the lake up at least 5' (and up to 10') is resulting in those 2-3 lb'ers. But we can all agree that big grass fields would result in more consistently high numbers of year class survivors.

BTW, I'm not arguing . . . I respect your views a lot here and on FB. I'm just longing for the "good ol' days"/

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/03/21 11:20 PM

Kinda spot on.

It's year class recruitment obviously. Those springs we had the lake up at least 5' (and up to 10') is resulting in those 2-3 lb'ers. But we can all agree that big grass fields would result in more consistently high numbers of year class survivors.

BTW, I'm not arguing . . . I respect your views a lot here and on FB. I'm just longing for the "good ol' days"/

Agreed the good ol days were nice but also 3 times the grass and less than half the fisherman and less electronics haha. Good times but it'll never get back to that. Rayburn and Toledo are what they are until we get another sustained drought in my opinion

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/04/21 08:11 AM

I know this thread is not about, how great the good ol days @ Rayburn were , but one memory ( as unsuccessful as it was) is burned in my memory. Albert Collins and I were pre fishing for some upcoming tournaments, on a sleeting 20 mph nw. windy Jan. day. We pulled up on a spot where he caught a 8, and over the next 30 minutes we had the hooks and split rings ripped out of 5 rattle traps. I still believe that had we put those 5 in the boat, we would have been in the 60lb. range. We will never know. I do hope, before I have to leave this world, that we will see matted grass in 20+ ft. of water again for 4 or 5 yrs. straight.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/04/21 02:13 PM

I believe if the rain event on Thursday did not happen it would have been a slugfest.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/04/21 02:31 PM

Best lake in the country is Chickamauga. Rayburn is a distant 2nd.

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/04/21 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by WLBDallas
Best lake in the country is Chickamauga. Rayburn is a distant 2nd.

Kinda depends on how you judge a lake. It's kinda hard to go down to choke and not catch 20lbs right now. Try and do that on Rayburn and you're in for a long day....or week
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/04/21 07:20 PM

Choke is back to being on fire. Love to see some bigger trails hitting that lake again.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/04/21 09:24 PM

Nothing like bigger trails hitting it, bringing more fishing pressure and then it sucking again. Vicious cycle.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/04/21 10:23 PM

I know this thread is not about, how great the good ol days @ Rayburn were , but one memory ( as unsuccessful as it was) is burned in my memory. Albert Collins and I were pre fishing for some upcoming tournaments, on a sleeting 20 mph nw. windy Jan. day. We pulled up on a spot where he caught a 8, and over the next 30 minutes we had the hooks and split rings ripped out of 5 rattle traps. I still believe that had we put those 5 in the boat, we would have been in the 60lb. range. We will never know. I do hope, before I have to leave this world, that we will see matted grass in 20+ ft. of water again for 4 or 5 yrs. straight.

Oh man, my dream is huge grass mats out on the main lake flats out to 15-20ft deep water. I wish we could make it happen

Re: Rayburn is Dead - 01/04/21 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by WLBDallas
Nothing like bigger trails hitting it, bringing more fishing pressure and then it sucking again. Vicious cycle.

It's getting hammered as we speak.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum