Texas Fishing Forum

Christmas present, topwater lunkers

Posted By: otay michael

Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/25/20 10:49 PM

[Linked Image]

After the stripe at Otay Lake last Wed., couldn't wait to get out to El Capitan for redemption two days ago. Met new backseater buddy William Campbel at the ramp, and we ran to the back to start. For some reason, an old post popped up on some social media (from last Jan.) the day before, and it showed my holding up a small bass caught on a gunfish. IDEA: Seems like a bad idea, but if it worked in Jan., it might darn well work in Dec.

So, since I still had it on one of my rigs, and after telling Bill of my plans, I tossed it shallow next to some boulders. Third cast, WHAMMO BAMMO, a lunker exploded on it and fought like crazy. Bill kept saying "Careful. don't lose it, lots of rocks and brush down there". Especially once we saw her come up and show her size, then go back down, twice. He got the net and did a great job of helping me land her. A lot of screams went up from me and high-fiving all around. Luck? Maybe, but two cast later, WHAMMO, a bit smaller, but now it's a pattern, right.

[Linked Image]

Got into some JB fish a bit later. Beautiful day, a little chilly, but not as bad as last week. Almost got double limits, a few minutes more of the day an area we found at dusk really turned on, should, woulda, coulda.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Water started at 52.5, warmed nicely as the day progressed. Nice thing my backseater reminded me, the days are starting to get longer again, we've turned the corner, and I was ecstatic to hear that, it's so nice to know warmer weather is coming, as is spring, then topwater can really take off, TUL

Thank U Lord. Miss so many of my Texan bass fishing friends from my trip out a few years back, lunker city it was, so many great lakes I got them on (Amistad, Fork, Falcon, to name just a few).
So Merry Christmas fellow fishermen.
Speaking of which, don't forget the reason for the season.

May 2021 prove to be a much more safe, and prosperous, new year (and may Trump Trump the stacked system! ;/) ...
AND may your bait-balls hold catch-able fish! ;/)
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/25/20 11:27 PM

Very nice, Merry Christmas
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/26/20 12:11 AM

Awesome Christmas Post. Merry Christmas. angel2
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/26/20 04:46 AM

El Cap was always my favorite lake to fish out there, except Morena way back in the day when it had water in it. Nice fish Michael! cheers
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/26/20 02:12 PM

Beautiful fish Michael. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/26/20 02:40 PM

Good job and that is a beautiful picture . That would be a good one to hang in game room or office.
Posted By: KnotEnuff

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/26/20 04:45 PM

Missed you on Amistad, maybe next time. Those topwater fish makes us all look forward to this coming spring. Way to go.

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/26/20 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 206champion
Good job and that is a beautiful picture . That would be a good one to hang in game room or office.

Thanks. Hundreds of folks have my art hanging in their homes and offices. Just released two new series at my 38th annual Christmas party last week. S. Spain and ‘Big Island HI III’. See them here.

[Linked Image]

https://www.seewald.com/s.spain.htm

[Linked Image]

https://www.seewald.com/BigIsland3.html

Half price to Tff members. Any photo, any size.
Blessings.
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/26/20 08:19 PM

Great post Michael! I recall how much I enjoyed having you in the boat with me on our trip and hearing the stories of your photography adventures.

Your prints hang in a prominent place in my home.

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/29/20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal Tom
El Cap was always my favorite lake to fish out there, except Morena way back in the day when it had water in it. Nice fish Michael! cheers

Thanks. Personally, Otay Lake has been my go-to fav since childhood, thus the screen name. But we've sooooo many nice lake (ponds by Texan standards), and since it produced my PB two years ago, it will stay that way.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/30/20 01:26 AM

Buckwheat say "That lake is OTay!" woot
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Christmas present, topwater lunkers - 12/30/20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by otay michael
Originally Posted by SoCal Tom

Thanks. Personally, Otay Lake has been my go-to fav since childhood, thus the screen name. But we've sooooo many nice lake (ponds by Texan standards), and since it produced my PB two years ago, it will stay that way.

[Linked Image]

That is a nice TOAD! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum