Texas Fishing Forum

Z Man Jack Hammer

Posted By: Topwater2

Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 03:44 PM

I'm thinking about ordering a few of them. Are the skirts replaceable? Are they really that much better than the lower cost Chatterbaits? What's your go to color? I'm thinking (1) White (1) Fire Craw (1) Blue Gill. What do y'all think?
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 03:54 PM

No need to replace the skirts. They last. Yes they are that much better. I throw white and B.Hite Delight. Firecraw is over rated in my opinion
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 04:13 PM

Yes, much better than the standard chatterbait. But there are other brands that make great vibrating jigs for a more affordable price, that every angler around you isn’t throwing.
Posted By: cr2018

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 05:09 PM

Spot remover, white, and green pumpkin is all you need. 1 of each in 3/8 and 1/2 and you’re set for basically any conditions.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by hydrillareckkaa
Spot remover, white, and green pumpkin is all you need. 1 of each in 3/8 and 1/2 and you’re set for basically any conditions.

All of these +Black/Blue
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterHunter

All of these +Black/Blue

So I only need 8 at 15 bucks each....
Good to know
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by outfishdya

All of these +Black/Blue

So I only need 8 at 15 bucks each....
Good to know

Exactly!! Thats why i dang near have a stroke when i check out on Tackle Warehouse. lol
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 07:50 PM

I've tried for the last year to get the jackhammer to out fish the elite and custom version. Hasn't happened yet. My personal preference is the new elite version. Handtied skirt, bigger hook than jackhammer and slightly thinner blade. I also like the custom version on tackle warehouse so I can choose the hook size. I've tank tested them up close and in the pool, literally no difference in the action. But...if it gives you confidence to have the jackhammer go for it. I've also had issues with jackhammer clip opening up versus the twisted clip on the elite.

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 07:57 PM

And for colors I literally only throw 2. Either straight white/chartreuse or green pumpkin

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
I've tried for the last year to get the jackhammer to out fish the elite and custom version. Hasn't happened yet. My personal preference is the new elite version. Handtied skirt, bigger hook than jackhammer and slightly thinner blade. I also like the custom version on tackle warehouse so I can choose the hook size. I've tank tested them up close and in the pool, literally no difference in the action. But...if it gives you confidence to have the jackhammer go for it. I've also had issues with jackhammer clip opening up versus the twisted clip on the elite.

That clip looks a little light for that bait.

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/24/20 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Topwater2

It's a great bait don't get it twisted, I just haven't out fished the elite or custom in the past 12 months.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/25/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Topwater2

It's a great bait don't get it twisted, I just haven't out fished the elite or custom in the past 12 months.

I agree, I have caught more fish on it than the hammer. I can’t explain it, it just gets more bites.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/25/20 12:50 AM

All of these +Black/Blue

No,you need a backup for each in case you lose one and 2 sizes (3/8 and 1/2) so that's 32. lol_2
Posted By: n_fish

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/25/20 01:48 AM

Spot Remover and White/Chartreuse are my go to colors. I keep Black/ Blue and Bruised Green Pumpkin in the boat depending on the time of year and water clarity. This bait flat out catches them!
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/25/20 01:59 AM

Don't waste your money, buy Bohonk.
Posted By: STX_bassin

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/25/20 03:04 AM

Get the elites for 1/2 the price. They work very well.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/25/20 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by bassnman

All of these +Black/Blue

No,you need a backup for each in case you lose one and 2 sizes (3/8 and 1/2) so that's 32. lol_2

And you will lose them! peep
Posted By: bassnutt2001

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/25/20 05:30 PM

I personally like the strike king thunder cricket. Not much difference in price just preference. I think the whole thing with these two is how fast they start and not normally need a hard jerk to get them vibrating. Ive had good luck with the Zman elites. Their about half the price.

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/25/20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by bassnutt2001
I personally like the strike king thunder cricket. Not much difference in price just preference. I think the whole thing with these two is how fast they start and not normally need a hard jerk to get them vibrating. Ive had good luck with the Zman elites. Their about half the price.

And zman makes the thunder cricket also...
Posted By: Southern

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/25/20 07:11 PM

The tackle warehouse custom is great for the money , I wire tie the skirt when I get em and use em till they junk ! The jackhammer will start a tick faster and I use them at times but mainly just to show the fish a different sound, for my money the custom does the job !

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/25/20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Southern
The tackle warehouse custom is great for the money , I wire tie the skirt when I get em and use em till they junk ! The jackhammer will start a tick faster and I use them at times but mainly just to show the fish a different sound, for my money the custom does the job !

I just got in the elite and it's hand tied with wire. I was surprised
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/26/20 02:01 AM

[Linked Image]

I've shared this before. This is what happens when a stock Jackhammer meets a big fish. It also happens after 40-50 two to 3# fish. I swap out the snaps with the Hog Farmer 80# Egg Role snap now.

[Linked Image]

It does not have an adverse affect on the action of the bait but is twice as strong as the 40# Decoy snap that comes on the bait
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/26/20 02:19 AM

What trailer are you throwing on the chanteuse/white?

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/26/20 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
[Linked Image]

I've shared this before. This is what happens when a stock Jackhammer meets a big fish. It also happens after 40-50 two to 3# fish. I swap out the snaps with the Hog Farmer 80# Egg Role snap now.

[Linked Image]

It does not have an adverse affect on the action of the bait but is twice as strong as the 40# Decoy snap that comes on the bait

I'll need to change them out being that all of my fish are big. roflmao

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/26/20 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Greg W

Either white paddle tail, white zako, or white lake fork magic shad 4.5"

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/26/20 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Or heavy cover like brush or pads.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/26/20 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Greg W

Either white paddle tail, white zako, or white lake fork magic shad 4.5"

Thx
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/26/20 06:41 PM

Just get Alex Finch's nasty thumper. 1/3 the price and 10x better.

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/26/20 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by GarySHO
Just get Alex Finch's nasty thumper. 1/3 the price and 10x better.

What makes them better? Just curious.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Z Man Jack Hammer - 12/26/20 07:04 PM

They have a slower harder thump and "hunt" better. The jackhammers and thunder crickets have a tighter wiggle and vibe more like a rat-l-trap. They all have their situation but I have never seen where a jackhammer or cricket will out fish the nasty thumper .They seem to catch better quality. I thow them all alot for a long time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum