Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Waxahachie

Posted By: Patta-whack

Lake Waxahachie - 12/23/20 03:09 AM

Moved to the area a while back and haven’t tried it out yet. Any major hazards when running the lake? Just looking for advice on what to watch out for. Thinking of trying it next weekend since it’s close.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/23/20 03:16 AM

At the current level, it is semi dangerous. [Linked Image]
To the left, above , and below the blue lines is idle only at the current level. When the lake is “normal” level, the small islands mid lake are about 6 inches below the water.

The blue lines are stump boundaries. If you see guys running the upper ends, they likely fish the lake a lot and know where to go. I have been fishing that lake for 25 years, DONT try to follow me on pad. Haha.

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/23/20 03:21 AM

Thanks! So stay between the blue lines and watch the map (with offset for being low) and no major issues? There were a few boats out Sunday so figured it’s not too low to try it out.

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/23/20 03:26 AM

It isn’t too low. Just that it has a BUNCH of stumps about 3” under surface in, a lot of areas, at the current level. Just be careful. Right now it’s about 3ft low.

I might be out there this Sunday (too, went there last Sunday), if you see a white, black , and red skeeter say hi. I will be more than happy to show you where it’s sketchy and where it’s wide open.

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/23/20 03:35 AM

I will send you a much better map in the next couple days. This one is very general.

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/23/20 03:38 AM

Thanks again. I think we met once on Clark a while back. I have a silver and white ZX21. Hope to see ya out there!

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/25/20 09:05 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/25/20 09:14 PM

The two blue circles are some shallow areas to watch out for. The coves with blue lines have a lot of stumps just under the water. The yellow spots are areas that have been good lately. The ledges are kinda community holes, but always worth fishing a c rig on them. The yellow circle on the southern edge is a good spot to fish, but it is kinda in the middle of some stumpy stuff.

Between the shallow hump(island right now) and the point just west of it is a dangerous stump. A couple weeks ago, it was marked with a traffic cone, but it is no longer marked as of this morning. It is a big one and perfect depth to take out a lower unit.

Main lake is pretty safe to run, till about mid lake. Then it’s best to stay off the bank and lean towards the north shore past mid lake...going west. Not all stumps are marked with bouys, so be careful. If it’s less than 8-10 feet deep, it can have some stumps.

Fishing was good today along the north banks and dam.

Colors that worked for me today was watermelon red, and an Ayu colored vision 110. Didn’t get bit on docks at all, but they can be there on any given day, so it’s worth trying.

Good luck.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/25/20 09:49 PM

Get your boot home. You ain’t supposed to be fishing today!

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/25/20 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Get your boot home. You ain’t supposed to be fishing today!

WHATEVER!

Every day is a “fishing day”. I had a few hours between gift giving to the family and wife having dinner ready. It’s get lazy in the recliner and watch football time now.

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/25/20 10:02 PM

I’m thinking about hitting your home lake tomorrow, then Granbury Sunday.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/25/20 10:10 PM

GV sucks right now.

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/25/20 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
GV sucks right now.

Sums up almost every lake around here lately
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/26/20 02:01 AM

I've only fish Wax a few times but lots of rock so take a c-rig. Perfect dragging on the ledges marked and the area around the island. Haven't fished it this year, but thats what I'v found in the past
Posted By: Treycaster

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/26/20 05:01 PM

Lake up enough to use the new ramp with a big boat yet? Anyone tried?

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/26/20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Treycaster
Lake up enough to use the new ramp with a big boat yet? Anyone tried?

It’s still a long back up to get the boat to float on that ramp....but useable with a partner in the truck.
Posted By: Treycaster

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/27/20 12:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. Last month I was nervous about unexpectedly finding the end of that ramp.

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/30/20 01:53 AM

Thanks for all the info! Ended up having to help my dad last weekend, but will definitely be out this weekend. Cabin fever is killing me!
Posted By: lakesider

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 12/31/20 08:20 PM

wow, brought back memories. we used to launch jon boats at the hwy 77 bridge and fish toward main lake but that was in early 1970,s .
sorry for no current info)
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 01/01/21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by lakesider
wow, brought back memories. we used to launch jon boats at the hwy 77 bridge and fish toward main lake but that was in early 1970,s .
sorry for no current info)

+1 Same here fished that from a 2 man boat many times when I lived in Cedar Hill.
Posted By: capt grumpy

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 01/01/21 03:07 PM

I was born and raised in waxahachie fished that lake the first day it opened, my bud and I must of caught 50 or more bass off of the bank with Shisters spelled wrong. Must of been 65 years ago. In the 70s we would fish the damn at nite in the summer and have good luck. I moved after that and never fished it again.
Posted By: Eric S

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 01/13/21 09:12 PM

So decided to take my boat out there the other day after the snow. The mud is so bad in front of the ramp, I got stuck just parking my truck there. Was absolutely awful. So frustrated I left and didn't even fish. Lake is still low.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 01/14/21 01:02 AM

Trim it up and send it. If you cannot see it it isn’t there...... Buddy
Originally Posted by Patta-whack
Moved to the area a while back and haven’t tried it out yet. Any major hazards when running the lake? Just looking for advice on what to watch out for. Thinking of trying it next weekend since it’s close.

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 01/14/21 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ken Starling

Don’t follow this advice.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 01/15/21 12:46 AM

Complete Dumb Az^^^^^

Re: Lake Waxahachie - 01/16/21 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by 361V

Complete Dumb Az^^^^^

Actually no, he is just jacking with me. Learn to recognize sarcasm.......
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum