Texas Fishing Forum

Hummingbird question?

Posted By: Doing it for the fans since 71

Hummingbird question? - 12/17/20 06:09 AM

Bought my nephew a helix 5 to get him started into bass fishing on fork at my place there. I want him to have the lake fork boat lanes chip as he is clueless and 18 years old. Do I need to buy lake master chip to make this work?
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Hummingbird question? - 12/17/20 12:31 PM

The boat lanes software is GPS data, not map data. It loads to the unit's memory.
Digital mapping is read from a map card inserted in the unit's microSD reader IF you got a GPS model Helix 5.
Bottom line is that is two different and separate functions.
Humminbird units read Lakemaster and Navionics digital map cards.
Posted By: H-D Dad

Re: Hummingbird question? - 12/17/20 02:35 PM

You can get the boat lanes chip at any marina. They are specific for each brand graph. Good luck
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Hummingbird question? - 12/17/20 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne P.
The boat lanes software is GPS data, not map data. It loads to the unit's memory.
Digital mapping is read from a map card inserted in the unit's microSD reader IF you got a GPS model Helix 5.
Bottom line is that is two different and separate functions.
Humminbird units read Lakemaster and Navionics digital map cards.

Originally Posted by H-D Dad
You can get the boat lanes chip at any marina. They are specific for each brand graph. Good luck

cheers
Posted By: Mike2718

Re: Hummingbird question? - 12/18/20 02:20 AM

You can just download them to your computer then copy them to your own card from www.boatlanes.com The site has multiple lakes for different brands.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Hummingbird question? - 12/18/20 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Doing it for the fans since 71
Bought my nephew a helix 5 to get him started into bass fishing on fork at my place there. I want him to have the lake fork boat lanes chip as he is clueless and 18 years old. Do I need to buy lake master chip to make this work?

Boat lanes are handy but perhaps being 18 and clueless, the safer thing would be for him to have someone with him to show him the ropes and how to get around the lake.
Might be cheaper and safer for everyone involved.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum