Texas Fishing Forum

Pelican Bass raider opinions

Posted By: ftabangler13

Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/16/20 01:12 AM

Howdy all,

I’m entertaining getting a small boat specifically to fly fish out of in smaller local waters (Trinity river, Bachman, White rock, etc) for bass and carp. I’d like some opinions and i figure theres plenty of guys in this forum with some experience in a raider or bass buster type boat.

1. I’m 6’1” and 250lbs. I plan on mostly using this by myself, while standing to cast. How is the stability going to be for me?

2. Does anyone use a shallow water anchor on something like this? If so, how does it work out for you?

3. What trolling motor do you use? Is there a transom mount foot control option? Do you ever need a spare battery with you for a 12v motor?

4. Any must have mods? Recommendations on a cart or something to get it to the water?

5. Is there a better option that i can fit in the back of my truck?
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/16/20 01:16 AM

You would be better off with a sit on top kayak, they make some sweet modern roto molded yaks even for bigger guys with elevated chairs that you can stand up in also just as stable as a bass buster. If paddling isnt your thing they make kayaks with pedals propulsion and even trolling motor. Ask in the kayak section for more info.
Posted By: northdallasfisherman

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/16/20 02:10 AM

My set up.

[Linked Image]

My pelican set up. I still take her out every once in a while
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/18/20 04:37 PM

I had 1 just like this 1 and I did catch many fish with it ,I always had an extra battery with me but I never ever used it .I had a 50# trolling motor with no problems .The only problem I had was being so low and yes I could stand but never felt to safe doing it .I finally went to a 10FT basster and loved it until I went with a skeeter .wish I had my 2 man back was much better for fishing small lakes
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/18/20 05:01 PM

If you're going by yourself then I would recommend either a kayak as mentioned above, or an aluminum boat. Those Pelican boats work fine but they are HEAVY compared to their aluminum counterparts. Most 12 foot aluminum boats are around 98 lbs or so. Pretty easy to either lift or drag by yourself. My dad and I are each about 6'5" and 250+ each and we fished out of 11-12 foot plastic and aluminum boats together for years. Caught a lot of fish too!
Posted By: Jwallace

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/18/20 05:14 PM

https://feather-raft.com/

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/18/20 05:40 PM

Was your first one a two man or one?
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/20/20 10:16 PM

i would make a rudder for it so the wind doesnt over work you. they make dollies so they can be easy to push around. have fun, some of the best fishing to be had these days in smaller bodies, 100+ days for bass. wear a pfd.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/21/20 11:20 AM

if you want to step it up a notch there is a place on 69 just north of mineola that sells (I think they mfr. them too) 2 man pontoons, for standing that is how I would go.

I have had 3-4 of the 8-10' pelican types and really like fishing out of them but I would never stand in one to fish, not all that stable.

had a home built 2 man pontoon with foam/glass pontoons, 12' x 5' and could stand on it easy but never really needed to. hauled it around on a small flat trailer and had a 15hp merc on back. that thing would scoot and get into places big boats couldn't.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/21/20 12:24 PM

Those small Bass Raiders are great in calm water.
In north central and west Texas, we get a lot of wind and any small vessel with high walls/gunnels will suffer in it.

This is the reason kayaks are so popular, especially pedal kayaks, they perform much better in the wind.
Anyone over six foot and over 240lbs will need a bigger kayak to do any significant standing.

Standing in a bass hunter in the Texas wind making a traditional fly cast doesn’t sound fun.
Most of the fly fishermen I see in smaller vessels are sitting down and making roll and sidearm casts.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/21/20 01:53 PM

These are about as light in weight and stable as you'll find. Flat deck for standing and 41 inch beam.

https://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 04:20 AM

I am a big guy. Fished out of a BPS Pond Hopper for years. Loaded and unloaded myself without a problem. Carried two batteries and a rudder as mentioned will help you track straight. Fished Fork, Toledo Bend, Ray Roberts, Monti, Purtis, etc. from mine. Pick a creek, marina, pocket, etc... and fish it like it is its own lake, don’t worry about the rest of the lake. Inexpensive great way to fish!! BTW I have a bass boat and a peddle kayak now. Bass Buster is more stable and better to fish out of than a kayak hands down!

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
I am a big guy. Fished out of a BPS Pond Hopper for years. Loaded and unloaded myself without a problem. Carried two batteries and a rudder as mentioned will help you track straight. Fished Fork, Toledo Bend, Ray Roberts, Monti, Purtis, etc. from mine. Pick a creek, marina, pocket, etc... and fish it like it is its own lake, don’t worry about the rest of the lake. Inexpensive great way to fish!! BTW I have a bass boat and a peddle kayak now. Bass Buster is more stable and better to fish out of than a kayak hands down!

Glad to hear. I’ve got a 20’ Triton, but i can’t get it into a lot of water bodies i want to fish. I’ve seriously looked at and entertained all of the suggestions presented, but I can’t for the life of me see how any kayak would be more stable when standing. Anyone have experience with an Ultraskiff or a Roundabout?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jwallace

Don’t know that this would be the best answer for most applications but looks very interesting. Looks like the one man boat version of a saltwater flats scooter!
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 03:37 PM

Have you considered a skiff like in these videos? Thre are newer SOT kayaks that are super stable, you can sit on the edge of them and not flip them.

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
These are about as light in weight and stable as you'll find. Flat deck for standing and 41 inch beam.

https://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/

The prices on those things I would just buy a flatbottom tin or skiff.

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 07:50 PM

The solo skiffs are really sweet. If i was going to fish backwaters in the gulf or something with a longer run required that would probably be at the top of the list.

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 08:14 PM

This thing is sweet!
and a fraction of the price of a traditional skiff.

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 10:00 PM

How much does that little honda cost, I bet its not pretty

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 10:03 PM

You can find a “lightly used” second hand 5hp for $350 “firm” in the classifieds.

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 10:06 PM

But it aint got a title

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/22/20 10:44 PM

roflmao
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/23/20 07:00 PM

There is no one on here that's had more seat time and real world experience with a Bass Raider than I have.... Have had my 8 footer for coming up on 10 years

(I don't have any pics of it set up for fishing because I just got a new phone at the begininng of hunting season so all the pics I have are duck hunting)

Believe me when I tell you these things are built LIKE A TANK. In these 10 years, this thing has fallen out of the bed of the truck with a battery sitting in probably 5-6 times, it's been drug on concrete for miles, it's been abused in saltwater, it's been around the state of Texas, it's been in 2-3 chop on the middle of Lake Somervile and Livingston, it just has been THROUGH HELL. I've had this thing in bad enough sea conditions that there was water above my ankles in the boat. FINALLY just a few weeks ago I found out it rubbed its first hole in the bottom.. The best part is, these things are foam filled... I knew I was taking on water in a pontoon bad, but it still had no issue floating and maintaining stability... Fixed it with fiberglass/cloth resin, like new! Keep in mind, this is after 10 YEARS of some serious abuse.

I use it mainly to throw around in ponds around town and sometimes take it to big lakes when I don't feel like dragging the big boat. But during duck season, I use it as my portable floating duck blind (pictured.) I literally strap it on the front of the big boat, transport it where i wanna hunt, park the big boat, get in the raider, drive to where I wanna hunt, and set up.

It's been "repowered" 3 times. It's on it's 3rd Minn Kota 30# thrust. I actually have a Garmin Striker 4 Plus mounted on it for fishing and it gets 3-4mph with the 30# and just me

Don't worry about stability.. I'm 5'9" 180lbs, my close running buddy is about the same. We can both stand up in this boat without any issue. To really explain how stable it is, when we're duck hunting, we gotta hop out the boat to go retireve are ducks. We'll be in waist deep water and have to climb our way back into the boat.. The boat turns on it's side in at least a 45 degree angle but does not flip whatsoever. Super super super stable little dinghy. My dad is about your size and has no problem with me in the boat.

I'll tell anyone... If you want a bulletproof little boat to throw in the bed of the truck and haul around, get you a Bass Raider. If you have any questions let me know... I've put more hours in this thing probably than the big boat.

OH YEAH! And, I've pulled this thing ON PLANE behind the big boat one time....Long story about that, but it happened and had absolutely no issue.

Attached picture Bass Raider 1.jpg
Attached picture Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 12.43.16 PM.png
Attached picture Boat with Raider.jpg

Re: Pelican Bass raider opinions - 12/23/20 10:33 PM

PM sent
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum