Texas Fishing Forum

Another Structure situation

Posted By: RPD

Another Structure situation - 12/12/20 03:29 PM

Here are 2 points on Lake Worth, one we will call Area 1, the other Area 2. You have 4 hours to fish, lets say 10AM to 2PM. My question is, which point do you guys think would have a better potential to find a good school of bass and why?

Attached picture download (6).jpg
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Another Structure situation - 12/12/20 04:24 PM

That being all the info that you provide .....If it is overcast and otherwise ideal, area 1 would be my choice. High skies would influence me to try area 2.

Both are good areas by topographical lines, but there is FAR more that comes into play. Bottom makeup. Cover that exists. Any current flow (wind).

I use topo maps as a BASELINE. Far more info is needed to make any place "better" than another.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Another Structure situation - 12/12/20 04:27 PM

If you have a sonar unit, just check them to see if any fish are there. Fish at the one that has fish or somewhere else that does.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Another Structure situation - 12/12/20 05:30 PM

There are a couple of ways to approach this massive point. At some point in time you will want to use your depth finders to look for the spots around the point that the fish and bait fish like the best. Both area 1 and 2 have about the same contours; so the wind direction will usually be the determining factor on which side the bait will be on for that day. Side Scan the entire point.

I am seeing 5 bar pits that have been dredged out around the point. This drops the slope to 20 ft. into each of the pits at full pool. Between each of these Pits are sections of high ground that will hold feeding fish. The Irregular features around the Pits are not that great. I have put RED-X's on the ones that I feel are the best. Some are on high ground, a couple of small Protrusions, some on the slopes toward the Pit and a couple in the Gouges leading out of the Pits toward high ground.

When my time is limited and the structure is not that great; but there are ups and downs in the contour lines, like between these Pits, I choose to drag a C-Rig around the point.
- I have laid the RED LINE trail to follow which will take me to each of the features.
- Start on the NW side of the point to work into a SE Wind.
- Working such an area can be accomplished much better with two fisherman.
- Man up front can do some dragging; but normally wants to cast to the Hot Spots of the Red-X's and working search baits.
- The man in the back will drag the deep water contour working the slopes, dragging across high ground and along the edge of each of the Pits.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Another Structure situation - 12/12/20 06:01 PM

I would idle them, if I see fish I would fish them. If not and I just knew there could be fish up on that shallow point I would try a jerkbait or something up there. If that didnt work I would spend the other 3 hours either working the windy side of that peninsula or headed to something that looks visually good and hitting that. When I'm on limited time I normally look for something that looks fishy to my eyes, like a good area of grass or shallow stuff. I could kill 4 hours looking offshore and not make a cast or never feel comfortable if i dont see the fish. I would rather spend limited time fishing something i have a good feeling about.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum