Texas Fishing Forum

Best reel for no backlashes

Posted By: Crick

Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 08:30 PM

What reel that does not backlashes or very little?
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 08:37 PM

zebco 33. I can backlash toilet paper.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 08:52 PM

Diawa Tatula SV well just about any Diawa SV reel. They are very smooth, easy to cast, and you don't sacrifice distance.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 08:58 PM

Second the Tatula SV. But I prefer the Tatula 150 for extra line. You will still get back lashes just not as many as others in the market once setup. The SV helps with the breaking for new comers its a great one to use.
Posted By: csc76

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 09:54 PM

Yep tatula hands down
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 10:10 PM

Perhaps you need help in making the correct adjustments on the reel you already own. Every reel can ne adjusted not to back lash and after you get comfortable with that setting and practise with it and then gradually loosen up the settings until you can cast it with no brakes.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by GarySHO

Just what I thought of!!!

To the OP, I bought some Quantum Smoke S3's last year and find them pretty good!!
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 10:35 PM

If you REALLY want to eliminate backlashes, don't depend on the reel entirely.

Loosen it up and learn to use your thumb to feather the spool. Once you can cast that way, then use the settings on the reel along with your thumb pressure. It's really easy to do once you get the hang of it.

I've never seen a reel that can entirely eliminate backlashes (or at least a bit of an overrun).

Not trying to be an azz or sound like I'm God's gift to casting, but I use mainly 4500s and loosen them up to the point that I have total control of the reel. Hardly ever have a problem. Of course I've been casting that way for 30+ years ........
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 10:45 PM

Hands down, DIAWA. Personally, I think the old TD (Team Diawa) reels were the best but any R-series including the Tatulas are a cut above. If I’m skipping docks I’m doing it with a diawa reel.
Any other time I’m a huge Shimano fan.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 11:13 PM

Daiwa SV reels are the easiest to set up for non backlashing. I use it to teach people how to throw a baitcaster. Daiwa makes several SV models but the Tatula is the least expensive. I use one for skipping docks.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 11:16 PM

The Shimano DC reels sure help, but they are not backlash proof by any stretch.

I haven’t found, in my 45 years of fishing baitcasters, a reel that is backlash proof. I’ve got a bunch that I have found to be easier to use, and some that are miserable for my friends to use (and me to fix later).

If you are trying to find something for friends and family to use, the Shimano SLX DC and any of the Diawa SV reels are a solid choice that are more forgiving. Or...gettem some decent spinning combos to use.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 11:22 PM

One thing I always do is make a long bomb cast, then strip a couple yards more line then put a strip of electrical tape around the line on the reel. So when you get a back lash it only is in that 30-40 yards of line and easier to get out.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 11:52 PM

Shimano SLX
Posted By: COFF

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/09/20 11:58 PM

Don't blame the arrow when you miss the target.

Spinning reels work pretty well too.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 12:33 AM

The premise of your question is a little troubling.. If you crank down the brakes on any bait caster, you can make it never backlash, but you won't be able to cast more than 20'. There are probably dozens of variables that make reels backlash on any given cast. If you are casting a 1oz lure down wind, you will never backlash any bait (discounting braid),, but you try to cast a 3/8oz lure into the wind without the brakes clamped down.. it takes some real skill with your thumb to not backlash that cast. I really don't think any baitcaster is not going to backlash.. surely all that I have will, and its more my fault than the reels.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 12:41 AM

Just learn how to use one. It's pretty easy.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 12:51 AM

Finally, after many years, I went to baitcasting reels. Folks on the forum suggested a Diawa Fuego as an easily affordable reel that was difficult to backlash. They were right. Then I bought a Diawa Tatula and it is also easy to throw and not too easy to backlash. These days the Tatula stays in the boat and I use the Fuego at the pond.

However, under no circumstances should you let my wife use a reel that you think can’t be backlashed. Man, she put a tangle on the Tatula so bad that I had to cut the line out and replace it. It was brand new line too.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 12:55 AM

Shimano Curado DC works better for me than the Daiwa Tatula SV. cheers

If you are just learning how to cast a baitcaster then get out somewhere that is open and put on a heavier lure and get to practicing. fish
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 01:30 AM

The Daiwa reels are the most user friendly reels in my experience. Lose a little distance compared to my Lews reels but the work really nice.
Posted By: n_fish

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 01:37 AM

Lews BB1 series are great, can’t remember the last time a backlash occurred.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
One thing I always do is make a long bomb cast, then strip a couple yards more line then put a strip of electrical tape around the line on the reel. So when you get a back lash it only is in that 30-40 yards of line and easier to get out.

that is genius

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

that is genius

Anglers have been doing that for decades

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Durham
The premise of your question is a little troubling.. If you crank down the brakes on any bait caster, you can make it never backlash, but you won't be able to cast more than 20'. There are probably dozens of variables that make reels backlash on any given cast. If you are casting a 1oz lure down wind, you will never backlash any bait (discounting braid),, but you try to cast a 3/8oz lure into the wind without the brakes clamped down.. it takes some real skill with your thumb to not backlash that cast. I really don't think any baitcaster is not going to backlash.. surely all that I have will, and its more my fault than the reels.

Obviously you don't have a Daiwa SV reel do you. I can teach someone that has never thrown a bait caster how to make a long cast and never put your thumb on the spool without a backlash. The Daiwa SV reels will do that.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

If you are just learning how to cast a baitcaster then get out somewhere that is open and put on a heavier lure and get to practicing. fish

You don't have the SV set up correctly then.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 02:16 AM

No reel can replace a thumb. It's very easy to learn with practice. Looking for shortcuts will get you nowhere

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 02:21 AM

If you set up a Daiwa SV reel correctly you can make a long cast and never thumb the spool.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 02:43 AM

that is genius

That’s how I taught my son when he started. He picked it up in about 2 days.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

I have followed the directions to a T and done it more than a couple times and neither of them works as good as the Shimano DC's do. hmmm
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 03:39 AM

Directions and setting up a reel? We’re getting carried away here. Buy a decent reel and practice...it’s not rocket sience. hmmm
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 03:40 AM

Knew I liked you for some reason lol curado DC all the way
Posted By: BassPontoon

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by GarySHO

Lol I thought about this being the only thing that I may not backlash

I’m mindblown 🤯
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 04:16 AM

Put some decent line on too. Start with 12 pound Seagar red or even big game. Medium or med\light rod.
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
Put some decent line on too. Start with 12 pound Seagar red or even big game. Medium or med\light rod.

Memory in line increases backlashes without a doubt. Any reel needs to be tuned to reduce backlashes also.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 12:19 PM

dang rookies de

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 12:20 PM

cu-101
Posted By: racing75

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S
Just learn how to use one. It's pretty easy.

This^^^

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 02:54 PM

that is genius

i guess i'm not an angler
never heard of it before

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 02:55 PM

dont be so hard on yourself...
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 04:06 PM

that is genius

i guess i'm not an angler
never heard of it before

Glad I could share. I also tape line on my reels to make them ALL shallow spools, so they only hold about 110 yards spinning and casting reels.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 04:49 PM

The rod and weight of the bait have a lot to do with learning properly IMO. A rod with a lighter tip and a bait a little on the heavier side is easier to learn with. Also lighter line like 15 vs. 20 is a little easier to deal with IMO. Main thing though is educate the thumb. DC reels are good and forgiving but they do whine a little when you cast them and they are pricey. A deal on an old green curado, a little practice, and you will get it down pretty quick. In the mean time you get to learn how to pick a backlash, a skill any bass fisherman will need for life!

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 05:16 PM

Thanks Guys I will pass it along.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/10/20 08:24 PM

dont be so hard on yourself...

LOL
ok

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/11/20 12:46 AM

I have followed the directions to a T and done it more than a couple times and neither of them works as good as the Shimano DC's do. hmmm

Well bring them to Lake Fork some weekend and I can fix them for you. I have 2 shinano Curado DC reels and about 15 Daiwa SV reels and for me the SV reels set up easier and work better with lighter baits than the Curado DC's. For me, the DC's work well for baits that are 3/8 and up in weight. Not as well as the SV reels for lighter stuff.

I don't use directions for setting up a reel, I use 50 years of experience setting up bait casters.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/11/20 03:40 AM

Well bring them to Lake Fork some weekend and I can fix them for you. I have 2 Shimano Curado DC reels and about 15 Daiwa SV reels and for me the SV reels set up easier and work better with lighter baits than the Curado DC's. For me, the DC's work well for baits that are 3/8 and up in weight. Not as well as the SV reels for lighter stuff.

I don't use directions for setting up a reel, I use 50 years of experience setting up bait casters.

cheers
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/11/20 05:09 AM

It just takes time mate.

Lots of great informational videos on YouTube. But seriously it just takes practice in all types of conditions.

I've been doing it for a long time and still get it all wrong sometimes. Especially when you're using a combo that you're not used to. Sorry Doc! Lol But I did get the backlashes out everytime.
Posted By: TritonRob

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/11/20 09:40 AM

My advice is get a decent baitcast reel with dual brakes and put on a 3/8oz bait or plug. Spool it with about 12lb MONO and Set both brakes to half way. Hold the rod out in front of you and press the button to release the lure and let it fall to the ground. Adjust the spool tension until it doesn't backlash when it hits the ground. Now with both brakes set to half and spool tension set throw a bomb overhand cast and watch the spool closely. If it begins to backlash immediately then adjust the inside the cover brake a little bit higher but if it starts to backlash while the lure is in the air deep into the cast adjust the outside brake until this just barely stops. Once you get both brakes set you should be able to cast it without backlashing all the time and if you change lures a tiny turn on the spool tension knob for adjustment should do. This is a good starting point for learning to use a baitcaster without getting totally frustrated and how I teach others to use them when in my boat.. Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention if you need a decent reel on a budget get a Daiwa Fuego. You can get them for 80 bucks on Amazon most of the time and they are easy to learn on and cast very smooth. Hell I think mine cast as smooth as my much more expensive reels...

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/11/20 10:18 AM

That procedure is pretty close to how I set up a reel with brakes on it. With the Tatula SV I adjust the tension knob with a 3/8 weight that same way you do and when it hits the I want the spool to stop turning. Then turn the numbered dial on the left side of the reel (right hand reel) to full on setting of 20. As they get better and better at casting you can lower the settings. I have been throwing baitcasters for many years now starting with a Garcia 5000 and the Lews BB1 . Shimano has changed their brake systems several times over the years. Some use a magnet system to control over spin on the spool. Most of my reels are Diawas, then I have several Lews reels and a few Shimanos.

The Daiwa cr80 and the Shimano SLX are both very good low priced reels.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/11/20 01:48 PM

This may not make sense .... but I don't know of another way to word it .....

Spinning reels are thrown "out".

Casting reels are thrown more "up".

You have to release the spool a bit earlier in the cast than you do with a spinning reel to let the spool get a bit of momentum.
Posted By: laserfish

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/11/20 08:11 PM

I really appreciate this thread. Won my first red 5000 almost 50 years ago and my dad taught me to cast left handed and control the spool with my thumb. Thought that is how it was still done. No idea you could cast and the spool would stop when the lure hit the water! I keep most of my reels very loose and if you push the button and let the weight fall to the ground you would have a big backlash upon impact. Been using the thumb for a long time, should I change my ways? As you loosen the brakes, do you need the thumb control? Curious of your answers.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/11/20 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by laserfish
I really appreciate this thread. Won my first red 5000 almost 50 years ago and my dad taught me to cast left handed and control the spool with my thumb. Thought that is how it was still done. No idea you could cast and the spool would stop when the lure hit the water! I keep most of my reels very loose and if you push the button and let the weight fall to the ground you would have a big backlash upon impact. Been using the thumb for a long time, should I change my ways? As you loosen the brakes, do you need the thumb control? Curious of your answers.

If you are throwing a bait that you can "Chunk a country mile" then most of the time when it lands there is no need to touch the spool before touchdown.

When you are short casting then you will need to control the spool like you have been or by the spool tension / brake system. fish

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/11/20 08:41 PM

I keep most of my reels very loose and if you push the button and let the weight fall to the ground you would have a big backlash upon impact. Been using the thumb for a long time, should I change my ways? .

NO !

Keep doing what you are doing. You have total control over your equipment. FWIW, I have done it that way for 30+ years.

If it ain't broke ... don't fix it. thumb

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/12/20 12:10 AM

I just bought my grandson what everyone stated was one of the top reels. DAIWA TATULA SV TW 103HS . One question, why it the right side control knob so hard to adjust and hard to adjust?

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/12/20 12:17 AM

That is the 2020 model and some of them are very hard to adjust. It is hard to get your fingers on it but you might have to adjust it for him. Turn it slowly until you get it adjusted correctly. Sometimes you only need to adjust the knob on the left side of the reel.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/12/20 01:03 AM

Thanks I will try to get it dialed in before Christmas just need to keep trying. This reel is just so smooth

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/12/20 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Crick
Thanks I will try to get it dialed in before Christmas just need to keep trying. This reel is just so smooth

The pre-2020 version is easier to dial in because the right side knob is larger, but the overall size of the reel is larger. The right side dial on the 2020 version is hard to get thick fingers on and it is fairly tight on most reels. I have 8 of the 2020 versions and all but 2 of them have been difficult to turn.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/12/20 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hair Jig
I keep most of my reels very loose and if you push the button and let the weight fall to the ground you would have a big backlash upon impact. Been using the thumb for a long time, should I change my ways? .

NO !

Keep doing what you are doing. You have total control over your equipment. FWIW, I have done it that way for 30+ years.

If it ain't broke ... don't fix it. thumb

What you are doing is the right way controlling your cast with your thumb. You don't need to switch reels or change anything you are doing. There are now some reels designed to help those that have issues getting backlashes often so these new designs can help them learn how to use a bait caster without getting too frustrated and quitting. You already know how to use a regular bait caster, so just keep at it.

Posted By: AmpedUp

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/12/20 01:30 PM

Zebco33 For the win!! bolt

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/12/20 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by AmpedUp
Zebco33 For the win!! bolt

All joking aside, the 33 has stood the test of time and is still a great reel for kids or just casual pond fishing. Not everyone goes about it like hardened bass fishermen, and it fills a definite need.

Johnson marketed a similar reel for years but I don't remember the model number.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/12/20 02:04 PM

I began with a 202, then got a 404 and then the 33 decades ago. I had an Eagle Claw all glass rod that I bought from Gibsons.

Re: Best reel for no backlashes - 12/12/20 02:25 PM

All of those things bring back memories. I don't remember the reels I started with, but I do remember an Eagle Claw yellow rod that I once had.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum