Texas Fishing Forum

Fluorcarbon ?

Posted By: harvey walker

Fluorcarbon ? - 12/03/20 02:16 PM

Does your fluor break easter in cold weather? Was fishing yesterday and it broke twice on me. Lost a good crank bait because of it.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/03/20 02:29 PM

Not generally...
Is it quality Fluorocarbon?
Is it fairly new or has it been on the reel for awhile?
Have you used line conditioner on it? Some brands of line conditioner do not always play well with some brands of fluorocarbon line.
Have you had a backlash? Fluorocarbon can weaken if you have a backlash and severely crimp your line.
The other thing to check would be your guides and the area of your reel (in a baitcaster) where the line exits the spool. If you run a q-tip around the ring area and some of the cotton catches then you might have a damaged ring.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/03/20 02:48 PM

I haven't had this issue...I use mostly Sunline Sniper w/ palomar knot.

Could be your knot wasn't correct and it snapped there???
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/03/20 03:13 PM

Never had that happen after I learned how to tie a proper fluorocarbon knot.. broke off a lot till then! Lol
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/03/20 03:21 PM

Just tie a Paloma and wet it real good. Problem solved. Unless it’s vanish.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/03/20 03:35 PM

Not that I've noticed.
Posted By: Buchbass2

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/03/20 04:02 PM

Improved clinch knot and never had a problem.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/03/20 04:22 PM

Was it Berkley Vanish?
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/03/20 04:47 PM

Never had breakoff problems in cold water (mid to low 40*). I just got tired of the memory and switched everything back to mono... Dan
Posted By: GROD

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/04/20 01:20 AM

Do the knot test... take 2 ft of line and tie one knot and pull in separate directions... if the knot easily breaks then keep pulling line off the spool until you get to good line. Thank me later... guide taught me this... think I boated one small bass in a full day trip, but this wisdom was worth every dollar ten fold!
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/04/20 01:29 AM

Store your line indoors and tie a palomar. Make sure you have no line burn, feel your line about 6 inches up to make sure... Sunline FC sniper. Thank me later.

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/04/20 02:26 PM

I not sure what brand it is. It did not break at the knot (i only tie palomar) it was in the spool. I let aa friend use it and maybe he had a backlash. I will be changing it out today anyway.
Posted By: C130

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/04/20 02:31 PM

I recently (Month ago) bought a 1000 yard spool of Seaguar Abrazx and it has to be a bad spool. I lost my 5th crank bait yesterday using it. Three times it broke while casting and twice with a fish on. Yesterday, I had respooled the fell and first time using it and the line snapped after about the 5th cast. The line feels very rough also, doesn’t even feel normal. I emailed Seaguar four days ago and haven’t heard back yet.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/04/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
Store your line indoors and tie a palomar. Make sure you have no line burn, feel your line about 6 inches up to make sure... Sunline FC sniper. Thank me later.

Go ahead and add line conditioner and saying nice things to the line as you tie your knot.
Just way too much babysitting for recreational fishermen, in my opinion.
Pline CXX and tie a half decent palomar and never worry.

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/05/20 12:13 AM

I have always used low cost mono for years and lever had line brake the way this did. For you older guy Walmart use to sell the best line USA MONO, never had a problem with it.

I use Eagle Claw 12lb on my cranks, I was given the fluorocarbon by a friend that got it on sale somewhere. This is the only time and the last time i will use fluorcarbon. I know I going get the TFF scolding but so be it. I don't lose fish and really hate to lose baits, it always the one that catches fish.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/05/20 01:30 AM

Do the knot test. It’s simple. Will tell you of line is bad or not and when you get to good line.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/05/20 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by harvey walker
I have always used low cost mono for years and lever had line brake the way this did. For you older guy Walmart use to sell the best line USA MONO, never had a problem with it.

I use Eagle Claw 12lb on my cranks, I was given the fluorocarbon by a friend that got it on sale somewhere. This is the only time and the last time i will use fluorcarbon. I know I going get the TFF scolding but so be it. I don't lose fish and really hate to lose baits, it always the one that catches fish.

Fluorocarbon is not “better” than mono or copolymer. It’s different and has some advantages over mono in some techniques and disadvantages in others. If your happy with mono there is no reason to change. You are not going to lose a ton of fish because you are not using fluorocarbon.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/05/20 02:35 AM

My case study: FLUOROCARBON: https://youtu.be/yNlOfDHyaXg MONOFILAMENT: https://youtu.be/ycumxKt1zFk COPOLYMER: [Linked Image]
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/06/20 11:08 PM

I not sure what brand it is. It did not break at the knot (i only tie palomar) it was in the spool. I let aa friend use it and maybe he had a backlash. I will be changing it out today anyway.

If you get a backlash and you don't pull out all the line that is curled and then make another cast, many times it will break at the point it was curled down on the spool. You need to pull out all of the backlash and make sure it is respooled up correctly without any loops in it.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Fluorcarbon ? - 12/06/20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by SAKS

Fluorocarbon is not “better” than mono or copolymer. It’s different and has some advantages over mono in some techniques and disadvantages in others. If your happy with mono there is no reason to change. You are not going to lose a ton of fish because you are not using fluorocarbon.

You wont lose fish because of mono but you certainly wont catch as many because you wont feel a lot of bites and put back by bass.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum