Texas Fishing Forum

When watching MLF . . .

Posted By: Littledog

When watching MLF . . . - 12/02/20 06:00 PM

do you feel like a lot of the guys fish to fast? (or am i just to slow? crazy)

I get that the format (minimum or no practice time) drives some of the guys to be bank pounders as they search for fish.
They then "go fast" looking for areas with numbers of active fish.
But it kills me when i see a pro make one cast on a lay down or boat dock and before he can even retrieve the bait, his boat is past the target.
It's like he's got the trolling motor on high and never takes his foot off.

I don't always catch fish on my first cast; but the second or third cast has paid off a lot.

Makes me twitchy.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/02/20 06:07 PM

That's the way I like to fish. Stay on the tm and keep moving
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/02/20 06:17 PM

Well, there is a reason why they are professional fisherman and we aren’t, they obviously know what they are doing.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/02/20 06:57 PM

Trying to find a pattern with no practice time, or inability to study a map beforehand because they don’t know what lake they’re going to be on = fishing fast.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/02/20 07:17 PM

I do feel the same way but I'm just out fun fishing. They have a different point of view being after those very active fish where I'll try to tease one.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/02/20 07:24 PM

That's why they are the Bigdogs.
Posted By: Pico Pearch

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/02/20 07:26 PM

After watching the Lewisville open, I feel like I must be fishing way too fast. If it takes that many casts in the same spot to catch a fish, I'm in big trouble.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/02/20 07:33 PM

I've seen some of those guys fish in real life. they definitely stay on the gas.....

I was on the bank watching someone whom I can't remember and he cast up in some grass next to me and a fish blows up on his bait.
he goes man that was a five pounder I just lost. fish spit out his bait. the next cast he doesn't even throw back on top of the fish he
just lost. he's on his trolling motor and just keeps on cruising. I would have spent twenty cast going back for that fish.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/02/20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
I've seen some of those guys fish in real life. they definitely stay on the gas.....

I was on the bank watching someone whom I can't remember and he cast up in some grass next to me and a fish blows up on his bait.
he goes man that was a five pounder I just lost. fish spit out his bait. the next cast he doesn't even throw back on top of the fish he
just lost. he's on his trolling motor and just keeps on cruising. I would have spent twenty cast going back for that fish.

Iaconelli is one that comes to mind. I think he modifies his trolling motor because I didn't realize one would move a boat that fast.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/02/20 08:21 PM

That format is not a young mans guy, speed is definitely an asset
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/03/20 12:41 AM

I'm a putterer.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/03/20 04:03 AM

A big difference and pros and joes, the pros find the fish that are biting and joes wait for fish to bite.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/03/20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by SAKS
Originally Posted by bloo_rainger

Iaconelli is one that comes to mind. I think he modifies his trolling motor because I didn't realize one would move a boat that fast.

ive seen him fish the opposite here in north Texas
Posted By: ranger392xt

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/03/20 02:28 PM

I've learned to fish much faster watching these guys. I fished so slow my poles stayed down more than up.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/03/20 04:04 PM

the question to you is do you fish to slow?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: When watching MLF . . . - 12/03/20 04:11 PM

All depends on what your goal(s) are and/or how you like to fish.

Going for numbers (encouraged by the MLF format) = covering water and fishing fast.

Going for the biggest bass in the lake = camping out/anchoring at the best ambush locations and being patient.

Then there's the middle ground of going for best five.

I fish for peace and relaxation, not to high stress the trolling motor.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum