Texas Fishing Forum

Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend?

Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 03:58 PM

My policy is up for renewal in January. They are quoting me a pretty substantial increase this year. Odd since I've never had a claim. Looking to get some quotes from some other companies. Who do you recommend?
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 04:09 PM

Got a great rate through boaters choice insurance which the dealership recommended to me. Beat farmers by a lot with better coverage.
Posted By: Green Fisher

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 05:15 PM

mad Do not use Progressive they don't pay claims.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 05:16 PM

Bob at worldwide marine. He is a broker and knows boat insurance, especially if you are a tourney fisherman. Any issues you have with your insurance carrier, Bob will take care of it and step in to help get the issue resolved.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 05:58 PM

I have mine w Bob ^^^ he has it thru progressive, they paid on my motor no problem, I had it at a trailer repair shop and someone put water in my oil tank. Im sure having a good mercury service center helped me since he is the one who met with the adjuster etc.

I pay 480 for 98k agreed value on my boat w 10k more of personal stuff, which is about 11 rods and reels etc.

I guess my home owners covers the rest of the personal stuff in my boat.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Green Fisher

That's an interesting first post on the TFF. Actually, they do.

When I hit a stump on Fork, Progressive took care of me. When I called, I was transferred to a guy that was obviously a boater himself. I told him what happened and he said they would take care of it. No B.S. and no stupid questions. A guy was at the shop the next day writing a check and my lower unit was replaced. Couldn't have been any quicker or easier. Plus, my rates didn't go up. It was logged as "not my fault." In fact, my rates have gone down every year since then.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by EastTexasBassin

I noticed that and thought the same thing...

I had American Family and it was a non issue also when I smoked a stump on fork and dropped my boat off at Toledo Fiberglass.
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 06:24 PM

Markle Insurance. They insure 1000's of Texas boat owners. I have had to use them twice with trailer damage and once for lower unit damage. Very responsive and easy to work with. The only hiccup that I have had was dealing with a trailer breakdown on the weekend. Could not get ahold of anybody, but I only had to send in a receipt from the roadside service that I used and they sent me a check. My State Farm agent reviewed my Markle policy and he advised me to stick with it not only for the price but the coverage. Marine insurance is I think all they offer.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 07:04 PM

Every time one of these threads pop up here, and daily on Facebook, there are always 2 people who are recommended countless times.

Bob Luellen at Worldwide Marine

Ben Green Insurance linked here

Both of these guys will have dozens of recommendations every single time.

They are both involved in fishing and understand what needs to be insured. cheers
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by EastTexasBassin

When I hit a stump on Fork, Progressive took care of me. When I called, I was transferred to a guy that was obviously a boater himself. I told him what happened and he said they would take care of it. No B.S. and no stupid questions. A guy was at the shop the next day writing a check and my lower unit was replaced. Couldn't have been any quicker or easier. Plus, my rates didn't go up. It was logged as "not my fault." In fact, my rates have gone down every year since then.

Have made a couple of claims with Progressive for lower units. So easy that a caveman could do it.
My ins did go up just a tad but I have no deductible so it worked out.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 07:42 PM

Progressive has paid out with no problems for me
Posted By: R83steve

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 08:33 PM

Progressive did right by me a couple of years ago. I also recommend Bob at Worldwide
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 11/30/20 09:55 PM

I use Boat US which sub-contracts out to Geico. Luckily we haven't had to use it as of yet.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/01/20 02:56 AM

I use progressive and every year with no claim my deductible goes down 25% I’m at no deductible this year.have had 1 claim In 5 years!
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/01/20 09:59 PM

I currently have progressive and had a claim this year as well.
Posted By: aj_jacks

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/01/20 10:38 PM

Just had a claim with Progressive. No problems and adjuster kept me informed.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/02/20 12:18 AM

green fisher--
In my 55 years of owning boats that have been insured I have been with 6 insurers.
Only progressive has paid without any hassles and without raising my rates.
So you might want to rethink your post.
How many claims have you personally had? I see this is your first post on the TFF.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/02/20 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)
Bob at worldwide marine. He is a broker and knows boat insurance, especially if you are a tourney fisherman. Any issues you have with your insurance carrier, Bob will take care of it and step in to help get the issue resolved.

What he said... Dan thumb
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/02/20 02:21 AM

Progressive all the way. I had a huge claim and my insurance never went up. They were easy to deal with too.
Posted By: MCIPinkie

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/02/20 03:40 AM

I had been with State Farm for many years. About 10 years ago, I had a run of bad luck, or stupidity, depending on your perspective, and had a bunch of claims. They refused to renew me. I called my local fiberglass repair shop. Obviously, I knew them well. Asked who they had the least problems with.

No. 1 - State Farm
No. 2 - American Family
No. 3 - Progressive.

Went with Progressive. Had one relatively small claim in about 10 years. Handled perfectly. No issue. One caveat. If you buy Progressive on line, take the option to talk to an agent. They can beat the base prices substantially. Once you've been with them some number of years (5 I think), they waive the deductible.
Posted By: BTwrestle04

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/02/20 03:43 AM

BoatUS. I had a $60,000 claim with them and they didn't fight it one bit.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/02/20 02:17 PM

Geico raised my rates like $300 a year, no claims. Progressive gave me lower then what I was originally paying.
Posted By: BeltonBasser

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/02/20 09:28 PM

Just received my policy renewal packet from BoatUS (Geico) for 2021...

Looks like they have decided to raise my rates by $100 (now $393) to cover my 2010 Nitro Z-7. Never had a claim and have been with BoatUS for the last 8 years. It has been going up every year...

They also decreased my 'Hull and Equipment' value by $2500 and raised my 'Personal Effects' deductible by $325 (but now covers $7500 instead of $1000)... Like I really need that much coverage.

Reached out to AAA (my home and car insurance) and they quoted $310 for the year without any coverage for gear or towing if needed... Guessing this is just how much things are now.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Boat Insurance: Who do you recommend? - 12/03/20 12:12 AM

I got state farm but my agents a cajun.so far just 1 lower unit
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum