Texas Fishing Forum

Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro?

Posted By: CCTX

Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 06:15 PM

Got a few gift cards and was going to spend them on some 6th sense lures, but was surprised to discover BassPro doesn’t carry even one of the ones I was going to buy.

Then looked for some Grandebass—none of those available either at BassPro
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 06:34 PM

Simple... BPS sucks.

Best you hand over those cards and save yourself the trouble....
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 06:48 PM

I've been disappointed in bass pro too. I can't understand how they have so much on the shelves, but I can never find what I want. I'm talking basics like owner beast screw locks or simple spinnerbait patterns. I have better luck at Academy.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 06:51 PM

Agree, I understand there are better profit margins on in store clothing and hunting gear sales; but there is no excuse for their online store to fall so short of their competitors.
I’ll wait for the Spring Clearance reel trade in and give them a chance to partner with 6th Sense lures.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 06:57 PM

Be thankful for what yours does carry, the one in San Antonio is horrible. At least Grapevine & Katy has a little bit more to pick from.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Got a few gift cards and was going to spend them on some 6th sense lures, but was surprised to discover BassPro doesn’t carry even one of the ones I was going to buy.

Then looked for some Grandebass—none of those available either at BassPro

I just order from 6th sense direct. They just has a nice 20% off sale plus their little pouches they ship in come in handy for stuff.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 07:14 PM

Thanks. I did see their 20% off sale. Really like some of their cranks.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 07:15 PM

The Flat crush 75x is a good one. Lost a toad on the dam at JP couple weeks back on that
Posted By: mudd

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 09:01 PM

6th sense is a copy of everything else just like BPS copies everything

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 09:05 PM

Sure, but 6th sense do have some unique modifications of their inspirations with good build quality and components.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mudd

Why the hate man? Their baits work.
Posted By: BTwrestle04

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 09:23 PM

Support small business. They make great baits.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 10:05 PM

Their plastics are a little stiff. Hard baits catch fish.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 10:08 PM

Every crank bait is a copy of the first one. Some are good some are not. 6th sense baits are very good, both their hard plastics and soft plastics.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 10:54 PM

Johnny doesn't own them......yet, thats why.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
The Flat crush 75x is a good one. Lost a toad on the dam at JP couple weeks back on that

What color were you using? Asking for a friend!!

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/29/20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Topwater2
Johnny doesn't own them......yet, thats why.

Haha, think I’m going to support just the smaller Texas companies from here on out and tell my family no more BPS gift cards.
Posted By: Mark in Frisco

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 02:06 AM

I went to BPS on Friday to buy some Keitech 5.8's, but they don't carry any Keitech's - at least the Katy store. They did have a similar type of their in-house brand.
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 02:12 AM

Bass Pro takes on a new supplier then they knock them off .

If 6th Sense is smart, they will not sell to them.
If they so, with in a year BPS will have the same bait.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 02:21 AM

Our Academy has had a good stock of 6th Sense baits in stock.

Well that was until recently and like everything else COVID related the stock has dwindled some.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 02:25 AM

No hate just meaning u can get there baits at Bass Pro from a different vendor that is all. Yes there baits might work but if that’s all ur throwing sure it is. Does Academy baits work? Sure do way better then some of the bigger brand baits. The cranks are Lucky Craft knock offs already. I have plenty of 6th sense cranks but I won’t pay full price either. Only on sale which is just bout daily from one there “pro staffers”

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Topwater2

What color were you using? Asking for a friend!!

It was the shad scales non chartreuse. Have them both though and just bought a coupe of different colors with this sale.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 02:28 AM

No hate just meaning u can get there baits at Bass Pro from a different vendor that is all. Yes there baits might work but if that’s all ur throwing sure it is. Does Academy baits work? Sure do way better then some of the bigger brand baits. The cranks are Lucky Craft knock offs already. I have plenty of 6th sense cranks but I won’t pay full price either. Only on sale which is just bout daily from one there “pro staffers”

Prefer to support Texas vendors and small businesses. Try it.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 10:01 AM

Probably going around not be too long-Already seeing some 6th stuff in Walmart. I support a local Texan company every chance I get and been using 6th Sense stuff for a long time. That flat side crank is killer-I believe they’re working on a smaller version and I can’t wait.
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 12:25 PM

Good friend of mine in CA. was a supplier to BPS and he showed me a PO, the fine print read like a legal brief.
Net 120 days from the date of receipt. BPS retained the right to return all product per PO after X months if a certain percentage went unsold. Seller had X amount of days to refund BPS funds for unsold product. The terms of the PO itself were near impossible for a small business to perform under for the fact that they couldn't use the funds until they knew they weren't going to get a return notice. This was several years ago so I don't know if there's been changes.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 12:48 PM

Q
Originally Posted by Bayou Burner
Probably going around not be too long-Already seeing some 6th stuff in Walmart. I support a local Texan company every chance I get and been using 6th Sense stuff for a long time. That flat side crank is killer-I believe they’re working on a smaller version and I can’t wait.

Agreed a smaller unit of the flat crush would be awesome. Thanks for the info
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 12:49 PM

I agree 100% about supporting local Texas companies like 6th Sense & Grandebass.

Having dealt with the buyers at Academy in Houston & Bass Pro in Springfield I will tell you this. The primary tackle buyer at Academy is ruthless. He wanted discount upon discount then volume rebates. Then he wanted a buy-back program for damaged product. This may have changed but they were tough.

The guys at Bass Pro were much easier to deal with. The head BPS tackle buyer recently retired. He was an old Oshman's guy.

Why do you think Academy's prices are so much lower than BPS??
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by TxSwimbaiter
Good friend of mine in CA. was a supplier to BPS and he showed me a PO, the fine print read like a legal brief.
Net 120 days from the date of receipt. BPS retained the right to return all product per PO after X months if a certain percentage went unsold. Seller had X amount of days to refund BPS funds for unsold product. The terms of the PO itself were near impossible for a small business to perform under for the fact that they couldn't use the funds until they knew they weren't going to get a return notice. This was several years ago so I don't know if there's been changes.

Lots of major retailers have the same clause, nothing new or exclusive to BPS.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 01:14 PM

Yes, I’ve heard the Wmart PO is similar.
I’ll have to review the local Texas/Louisiana/Oklahoma lure and tackle manufacturer list
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 01:24 PM

I always get a few BPS/Cabelas cards for Christmas from family and I typically just buy either terminal tackle like Tungsten weights, line or tackle boxes from there. Not really worth looking around and shopping for baits. I order what I need online or at smaller tackle shops that I know carry what I want.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 02:35 PM

Their selection is awful and their prices are worse. $16.99 for a 10XD at BassPro. $12.99 on tackle warehouse. Those are normal every day non-sale prices. Before you pay for the fuel expense there and back. That's a 30% premium, which could be justified if they had great selections and knowledgeable accessible staff, which they don't. I'm down to about 1 trip a year there and I always leave disappointed.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 02:55 PM

Bass Pro, plain and simple sucks. Cabela's used to be good until Bass Pro poisoned them. Now it's a disaster. Neither store have good merchandising principles and many of their employees do not fish or hunt, so they aren't of much use. Overall, their prices may be higher, but I prefer Fishin' World and Fun N Sun. At least there, you'll get some personalized service and support something local.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by WLBDallas
Bass Pro, plain and simple sucks. Cabela's used to be good until Bass Pro poisoned them. Now it's a disaster. Neither store have good merchandising principles and many of their employees do not fish or hunt, so they aren't of much use. Overall, their prices may be higher, but I prefer Fishin' World and Fun N Sun. At least there, you'll get some personalized service and support something local.

Damn solid take here and agreed 100%
Posted By: LFA17

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 06:53 PM

6th Sense is'nt different enough from many other suppliers to compete at their price point.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 09:03 PM

The 6th sense hard baits are better quality and more innovative than most at their price points.
Posted By: LFA17

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 09:26 PM

Please explain "more innovative"

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 10:00 PM

Lure body shape and bill shape to impart a different action than most Chinese cookie cutter lure blanks.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by LFA17
6th Sense is'nt different enough from many other suppliers to compete at their price point.

You don't know the product or company very well
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 10:50 PM

Big Box stores have broke many a small time lure maker with their crazy and unreasonable terms and conditions
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 11/30/20 10:57 PM

6th Sense has great hooks right out of the package which saves me from having to swap hooks. Support Local...
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 12:14 AM

I’ll start buying 6th sense. Right now it’s pretty much all strike king and zoom.

What other local companies are good for baits.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 12:39 AM

LFA 17 you are totally wrong. 6th sense crank baits are high quality. I would guess that you don't have any and have never fished one of their crank baits have you?

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by LFA17
Please explain "more innovative"

They catch fish. Do you need to know anything else? Are you Grueber with another screen name?
Posted By: angleiron

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 03:37 AM

Tackle Warehouse! If they don’t have it, I probably don’t need it.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by wh2004
I’ll start buying 6th sense. Right now it’s pretty much all strike king and zoom.

For crankbaits/hard swimbaits
6th sense
Riveratackle—his crankbaits are works of art
Xcite—very good square bills
Smash tech—I have one of their glide baits—excellent
Gandy’s

Soft plastics
Bonehead tackle
Xcite
Smash tech
Riveratackle
Grandebass
Creme
MPack lures
Lake Fork Trophy lures
Kcinjection
Wave
Kalin
Double ZZ
Hag’s tornado

Jigs/spinnerbaits/bladed jigs
Oldham
Stanley
Santone
Donald Harper
Papa’s baits
MPack lures
Talon
Spitfire
Toad Wrangler

Louisiana—Mister Twister, H&H, Bill Lewis
Oklahoma—Hart Tackle, Larew, Terminator

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 09:55 AM

Are you sure you aren't getting the Googan hard baits mixed up with the 6th Sense ones? 6th Sense crank baits are very good quality. You have to be careful with them because they only use quality very sticky sharp hooks, unlike most of the other crank baits on the market.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

Are you sure you aren't getting the Googan hard baits mixed up with the 6th Sense ones? 6th Sense crank baits are very good quality. You have to be careful with them because they only use quality very sticky sharp hooks, unlike most of the other crank baits on the market.

I will agree they are nice quality baits.

The only "problem" I have with them is that they are all made in China. frown

Then again most all of them probably are with a few exceptions.
Posted By: 921ELITE Cranker

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

The plain and simple fact is, most hard bodied baits are made in China. If they were made in the USA, then you would be saying “I like 6th Sense baits, but I am not paying $16.99 for a square bill”!!!!!!!!

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Z521L Cranker
Originally Posted by BigDozer66

The plain and simple fact is, most hard bodied baits are made in China. If they were made in the USA, then you would be saying “I like 6th Sense baits, but I am not paying $16.99 for a square bill”!!!!!!!!

I just checked my Crank Bait Box and all of the 6th Sense are made in China as are the Strike King 8XD's.

Every Strike King 6XD is made in Costa Rica. cheers

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by angleiron
Tackle Warehouse! If they don’t have it, I probably don’t need it.

You need to check out Discount Tackle out of Fla. Red state, super quick ship and unlike Tackle Warehouse, they didn't take forever to ship during the pandemic since they are located in Newsome Cali land. Even the Tactical Bassin guys from Cali got the hell out of there and moved to Tennessee.

Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 08:59 PM

6th sense
Gandy’s

Soft plastics
Bonehead tackle
Xcite
Smash tech
Riveratackle
Grandebass
Creme
MPack lures
Lake Fork Trophy lures
Kcinjection
Wave
Kalin
Double ZZ
Hag’s tornado

Oldham
Stanley
Santone
Donald Harper
Papa’s baits
MPack lures
Talon
Spitfire
Toad Wrangler

We are working on growing Mister Twister here in Texas as well. Lots of new baits out by them and even more in the making.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/01/20 09:24 PM

6th sense
Gandy’s

Soft plastics
Bonehead tackle
Xcite
Smash tech
Riveratackle
Grandebass
Creme
MPack lures
Lake Fork Trophy lures
Kcinjection
Wave
Kalin
Double ZZ
Hag’s tornado

Oldham
Stanley
Santone
Donald Harper
Papa’s baits
MPack lures
Talon
Spitfire
Toad Wrangler

Gene Larew is owned by Pradco now, Doc. As of now I still have our hook up, but have no idea how long it will last.
Posted By: tsubrett

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/02/20 02:14 AM

Walmart in granbury is carrying 6th sense hooks and cranks. I just bought some crush 50x squarebills today as a matter of fact. Best hooks and they flat out work. Great colors. In my opinion, one of the best out of the box cranks out there for a decent price.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/02/20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sinkey

6th sense
Gandy’s

Soft plastics
Bonehead tackle
Xcite
Smash tech
Riveratackle
Grandebass
Creme
MPack lures
Lake Fork Trophy lures
Kcinjection
Wave
Kalin
Double ZZ
Hag’s tornado

Oldham
Stanley
Santone
Donald Harper
Papa’s baits
MPack lures
Talon
Spitfire
Toad Wrangler

We are working on growing Mister Twister here in Texas as well. Lots of new baits out by them and even more in the making.

cheers texas flag
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/04/20 03:29 AM

I noticed the Cabela’s in Fort Worth doesn’t carry SPRO frogs. They have an entire aisle dedicated to frogs but no SPRO. I usually can’t find everything on my list when I go to Cabela’s and wish I had gone to Academy... and swear I’ll just shop online from now on.

I, too, get Cabela’s gift cards every year and have a hard time using them. I appreciate the gifts but often dislike the selection and prices at Cabela’s and Bass Pro.

Tackle Warehouse needs to move out of California. I just can’t buy from California based companies when I have a choice.

I try to buy direct from Texas companies when I can. I bought some items direct from Santone recently at good prices with fast shipping.

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/04/20 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by FishAdmirer
I noticed the Cabela’s in Fort Worth doesn’t carry SPRO frogs. They have an entire aisle dedicated to frogs but no SPRO. I usually can’t find everything on my list when I go to Cabela’s and wish I had gone to Academy... and swear I’ll just shop online from now on.

I, too, get Cabela’s gift cards every year and have a hard time using them. I appreciate the gifts but often dislike the selection and prices at Cabela’s and Bass Pro.

Tackle Warehouse needs to move out of California. I just can’t buy from California based companies when I have a choice.

I try to buy direct from Texas companies when I can. I bought some items direct from Santone recently at good prices with fast shipping.

Discount Tackle in Fla, give em a shot
Posted By: Bartemus

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/04/20 11:25 AM

Academy carries 6th Sense

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/04/20 11:37 AM

Yes Sir. I actually threw bout 10 away cause of messed up bodies and bills that was causing running issues. The only 6th sense cranks that were good I thought was the Md250’s? I think that’s what they was called but they quit making them. Probably the best med diver cranks they made. The square bills I’ve never been a fan boy of like some have been. Little to no action no matter what I tried. I’m a huge square bill guy so I’m constantly trying to find something better but they didn’t impress me.

Those googan baits and guys are a complete joke but they seem to have tricked the younger guys into liking them
Posted By: Justin DuBose

Re: Why no 6th sense lures at Basspro? - 12/04/20 11:48 PM

I love 6th Sense and will continue to use all their products. Been using them since before most people knew they existed. They make great products and are owned by a great guy , who built it from scratch.
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum