Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex Foot Pedal Stuck

Posted By: Jpurdue

Ultrex Foot Pedal Stuck - 11/28/20 03:15 PM

I know I've seen threads on this issue before, but wanted to make sure I've diagnosed this and the solution correctly. My 3 year old Ultrex had the foot pedal freeze on me during my last outting. The prop spins and the trolling motor head can be manually moved by hand, which will in turn move the foot pedal, but other than that the foot pedal cannot be moved. Spot lock doesn't work. The remote can control speed, but again, it won't change the direction of the head.

From googling it sounds like this is a common problem with a foot pedal sensor in the ultrex. Does this sound correct? Have guys fixed this themselves, or is it sufficiently complicated you have to take it a repair shop?

Thanks for any advice.
Posted By: One fish Bill

Re: Ultrex Foot Pedal Stuck - 11/28/20 03:39 PM

Not a uncommon problem in older models. Check out Ken Smith Fishing on you tube he did a couple of videos showing how to replace the sensors but I would take it to the shop to many little screws for my old eyes. I bought mine used and Southwest Marine charged me $168 parts and labor to replace mine. It is covered under warranty if you still have that.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Ultrex Foot Pedal Stuck - 11/28/20 04:26 PM

99% sure thats the problem.. the early ones had exposed ribbon wires that would go bad.. wasn't a matter if but when. New ones are fully potted.
Not hard to replace.. like said above there are a few videos now... I didn't have time to send to ASC so ordered the part.. About 80.00
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Ultrex Foot Pedal Stuck - 11/28/20 05:54 PM

I called minkota repair shop, he actually thought it was probably not the foot control board. Main reason being is that usually when those go, the foot pedal can be rocked to either the toe or heel, but not the other direction. Also, the remote would not turn the motor. He thought it was likely the motor control. Anyway, sounds like their is enough uncertainty I'm going to have to take it in. Always something...
Posted By: bigfish76

Re: Ultrex Foot Pedal Stuck - 11/28/20 07:00 PM

Not the foot pedal sensor if it will not move either way. East way to check is use your remote if it doesn’t move with the remote it is the control board actually that and steering motor part. Something happens and blows the 5 amp fuse that is on the board but it is buried in the protective coating they use on the board. MK recommends replacing both parts at the same time so the fuse on the board doesn’t keep blowing at 2-3 hundred dollars each
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Ultrex Foot Pedal Stuck - 01/02/21 05:41 PM

Jpurdue- Mind sharing what it ended up being and what it cost to repair? Mine did the same thing last week.
Posted By: C130

Re: Ultrex Foot Pedal Stuck - 01/02/21 06:08 PM

There an authorized MK repair shop off beltway 8, just east of the airport. They fixed mine very quickly. Read your post above, sounds like you already contacted them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum