Texas Fishing Forum

Junebug color

Posted By: Ben B

Junebug color - 11/26/20 01:05 AM

Watermelon, Green pumpkin and black/blue are basically my go-to colors pretty much anywhere. But I was curious - those of you who use junebug, what makes you use that color? Are there certain water clarities you feel it is a better color for? Time of year? Or I'm sure some of you just prefer it on certain bodies of water. Just interested to hear anyones 2 cents on it. Thanks
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 01:25 AM

Just my two cents worth. West Texas, if it's clear water throw a Motoroil Red Flake, if it's dingy to dirty, Blue Flake. East Texas muddy water Blue Fleck works as well. Clear water in east Texas it can be a wide range.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 01:50 AM

I use Junebug if he fish are biting it. Simple as that. I like Junebug with a Chartruce tip and Junebug red.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 01:54 AM

Seems to be good on heavy cloud cover, shallow.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 01:55 AM

June bug and green pumpkin is all you need thumb
Posted By: BassPontoon

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 02:08 AM

I use it on cloud cover days also... Red bug is another one I end up using as well.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 02:51 AM

Good night fishing color
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 02:55 AM

Junebug is a great color! I catch a ton of fish on it, as far as why they bite it who knows. I like it when the water has a little color to it. I fish East Texas most of the time but I caught fish on it while in California. So.. it will work anywhere in my opinion.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 04:15 AM

Certain lakes seem to be better for Junebug than any other color. Trial and error and consistent results
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 04:22 AM

Watermelon red
White
June bug
Pumpkin Chartreuse
Black

Done
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 04:54 AM

I will switch it up as the sun starts down I prefer darker colors. Red bug and June bug are real on cloudy days. When it cools off around 60 and below, I only use watermelon and green pumpkin
Posted By: Zach Starling

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 05:14 AM

Muddy water also👍
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by bradnitro175
June bug and green pumpkin is all you need thumb

I have tried both colors on one of the lakes I fish and they just don't want either of those two or candybug but they will eat redbug. I have 10 go to colors, but my top 3 work most of the time.
Not in any special order, these are my favorite colors.

Green pumpkin magic, Watermelon Magic, Watermelon/Slice
Junebug/chartruce, Junebug/Red
Chartruce pepper
Redbug, Candybug
South Africa Special, Black/blue

Many years ago Motoroil was my go to color but I hardly ever throw it any more but that was before Watermelon and Green Pumpkin ever existed also.

Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 01:13 PM

What I have found over the years is that outside of the basic standard colors (white, chartreuse,black) the other colors are basically interpreted as color phases of crawfish. The first & second fish we caught went into the livewell and were checked on every few minutes. They would usually (not always) throw up particles of whatever they had been eating. I've caught a lot of fish on red, brown, junebug, and green by seeing crawfish claws that were in the livewell and matching the color to those.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Junebug color - 11/26/20 04:45 PM

There was a time back in Amistad's hay day .. A 10" junebug power worm was unbelievable. I did learn when all the local places ran out of them that a Zoom Junebug and berkley are not the same color. Redbug in Zoom is the same..
A lot of folks say color doesn't matter.. I think we've all seen times when it made all the difference. If only allowed one bait on Amistad or any Hydrilla lake, my pick would be motor oil red flake.
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Junebug color - 11/27/20 04:50 PM

No Flake Grape<difficult to find unless you know a bait maker and Junebug Red Flake are my go to cold water colors. Motoroil/blue is another that is difficult to find partly because 3/4 yrs ago one of the properties used to produce the colorant itself was banned by the Gov. and the replacement leans brown vs red in the sunlight.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum