Texas Fishing Forum

Why so many dinks?

Posted By: AustinWader

Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 06:38 PM

Hi y'all,
I fished a High school tournament with a friend last week on Lake LBJ. We managed 17 fish boated that day but had just 1 keepers(2.5 pound). It was really fun catching fish but the lack of keepers was frustrating. We caught 4 dinks on 3.5 inch top waters and all but 1 out of 13 fish on drop shots(4.5-5 inch finesse worm) were dinks. Is this normal? We were fishing in the very northern river section of the lake almost close to the dam. We fished the mouth of the small coves and bridges in around 10 feet of water. What should we do next time to catch more keepers?
I'm guessing the our main 2 mistakes were fishing too shallow and to far upriver. Maybe we should have fish points on the main lake. What do y'all think?
I appreciate all information, thanks!
Posted By: Ben B

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 06:46 PM

You’re going to get a lot of opinions, but the bottom line is it happens some times. Moving spots, changing depths and throwing bigger baits are what most obvious responses will be. But I caught 1 fish in 5 hours of fishing this past Tuesday...8 pounder in less than 5 feet. Took a buddy out to same body of water Saturday...fished that same area multiple times throughout day including same time I did Tuesday and got nothing on that spot. Wind was much stronger and it was cloudy as opposed to sunny which likely factored into things. However we did catch 30+ fish the rest of the day on other parts of the lake...biggest might have been 2 pounds. And this lake is a small lake.

Count your blessings that you’re able to get out and enjoy it. Sounds like you’re not a bad stick!
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 06:59 PM

No such thing as to shallow or to far upriver. Put down the drop shot and throw real baits
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 07:33 PM

Were you able to prefish and did you have reason to believe that the winning fish were in the area? The best advice I have heard is "you have to fish for winning fish". You fell into the easy trap of catching fish but not the size you needed to win, its hard to move on when catching fish but sometimes that is what you have to do. Experience is the big teacher to know when a move in location is needed or when a change in presentation will work.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 08:19 PM

I was able pre-fish but only caught 4 dinks/1 keeper during pre-fish at similar spots. Now that I think about it though, I've never caught small fish fishing deeper water. This may be a factor. I do agree that I should have tried some bigger worms and moved around more, maybe some 6/7 inch ones next time. Lastly is there no difference between the size of fish in the main lake and fish upriver? I do remember at least 3 of our fish were Guadalupe bass in the tournament.
Posted By: Gruber

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 08:26 PM

The basses home is deep water! Prefers 30’ to 35’ Structure!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 08:39 PM

Should have tried some 12 inch jelly worms or a 8"+ swimbait

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gruber

Lmao

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 09:09 PM

“Most bass never go shallower than 10 feet”! buck Perry the legend not me!
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 09:33 PM

Never? What about the spawn? I’ve heard of bass spawning in 10 fow in very clear lakes but not the norm for sure.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dubee

Lmao

He's like a cat Dubee. If you just ignore him he'll eventually get bored and just go away.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/16/20 11:41 PM

[Linked Image]

Those two 7 pounders I'm holding were in 12 inches of water and caught on topwater. Actually all of them were caught on topwater and very shallow. LBJ is my favorite lake!!!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 01:21 AM

Sounds good. I'll get some bigger lures and try again smile

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 01:23 AM

So what high school and what weight won the tournament?
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 01:29 AM

sounds like the big ones are social distancing from your lures
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 01:20 PM

dude has no clue... loco
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S

dude has no clue... loco

Some of the best advice I could ever give him is to take that key with the "!" on it and toss it in the trash. rolleyes

And you're right .... zero clue.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 05:56 PM

Guess there is no fish in Caddo

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by UTDmiller

Or just about any lake in Florida
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by UTDmiller

Or just about any lake in Florida

roflmao
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 06:26 PM

[Linked Image]

This 10lber didn't hear about the 10ft rule. 18" of water on a frog

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 09:07 PM

That is a beautiful fish!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
That is a beautiful fish!

and a cool dog!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 09:13 PM

I never said all, and I never said all the time!

Most bass and most of the time, there are exceptions
The spawn, and fair stable fall weather!

And a lake like caddo they can’t find their preference, so they will adapt and scatter in the shallow cover or find deep holes to stay in or close to, and usually on a drop off even If it’s only a foot or less, deepest in that area of the lake
But deeper lakes most of the bass will be in schools (hundreds) in thier size range in deep water most of the time!

The few scattered fish you find in the shallows less than 10 feet are only 5 percent of the the fish in that lake!
Biological science and buck Perry not grub-er!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 09:16 PM

I never said all, and I never said all the time!

Most bass and most of the time, there are exceptions
The spawn, and fair stable fall weather!

And a lake like caddo they can’t find their preference, so they will adapt and scatter in the shallow cover or find deep holes to stay in or close to, and usually on a drop off even If it’s only a foot or less, deepest in that area of the lake
But deeper lakes most of the bass will be in schools (hundreds) in thier size range in deep water most of the time!

The few scattered fish you find in the shallows less than 10 feet are only 5 percent of the the fish in that lake!
Biological science and buck Perry not grub-er!

You are so wrong. But you just have to double down

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 09:19 PM

but he only fishes the backs of creeks from a small boat... 30ft deep backs of creeks Guber? noidea

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 09:23 PM

If I was new to bass fishing Gruber would have me confused as hell.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 09:51 PM

I don’t like it either that most bass are deep most of the time, my preference is shallow and fishing cover docks etc.
I cut my teeth on farm ponds and small lakes fishing the banks, but you can’t change the science or the fishes nature, and it’s not my opinions but buck Perry who fished almost everyday for 50 years

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 10:01 PM

KVD (one of your hero’s) fishing the elite 50 at Lewisville caught an 11 pounder, it was between 30 and 35 feet deep!
Even the pro’s prove buck Perry was right!
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 10:01 PM

I’m confused. Should I only fish in 30FOW with 6# line and 1/8 oz ? How long does 1/8 oz take to reach 30 ft?

I need lots of help here

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 10:11 PM

KVD (one of your hero’s) fishing the elite 50 at Lewisville caught an 11 pounder, it was between 30 and 35 feet deep!

Hero? Not even close. My parents and our service members are my hero’s bud. But I guess I’ve been doing it all wrong. Guess I’ll only fish 30ft or deeper now. Thank you for your wisdom. bang

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 10:43 PM

I don't have sports heros. If i remember right he caught that fish on the dam. I don't think it was anywhere near 30ft deep. Not that it matters. No one said no fish live that deep. Post a link that says how deep he caught it
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 10:45 PM

How am I going to get that Yellow Magic down 30 feet?

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 11:06 PM

Bless yer heart
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/17/20 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by AustinWader
Hi y'all,
I fished a High school tournament with a friend last week on Lake LBJ. We managed 17 fish boated that day but had just 1 keepers(2.5 pound). It was really fun catching fish but the lack of keepers was frustrating. We caught 4 dinks on 3.5 inch top waters and all but 1 out of 13 fish on drop shots(4.5-5 inch finesse worm) were dinks. Is this normal? We were fishing in the very northern river section of the lake almost close to the dam. We fished the mouth of the small coves and bridges in around 10 feet of water. What should we do next time to catch more keepers?
I'm guessing the our main 2 mistakes were fishing too shallow and to far upriver. Maybe we should have fish points on the main lake. What do y'all think?
I appreciate all information, thanks!

AustinWader, put this under the news you can use category.

In the area you were catching the small fish on a drop shot. I would have told one of you to tie on a small jig or deep diving crankbait and pull it through the same area. Most of the time if I am drop shotting a 5" finesse worm I am fishing for small fish. I cannot tell you how many times I have been dragging a small worm on a C-rig catching small fish then turn around and throw a 6XD out and catch a 6 pounder from the same spot. The same goes with a jig. The next time you are catching fish on a drop shot tell your partner to rig up a 3/4 oz green pumpkin jig and drag it through them.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 12:20 AM

Being a former Striper guide , and fishing primarily deep water 20-50ft , using live shad, I can probably count all the LMB I’ve caught on one hand. This is over humps , ridges, trees, rock piles etc... if your theory was true I would have caught way more

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 02:40 AM

Got it. Thanks for the responses everyone, was not expecting so much information smile
I think a good conclusion for the depth discussion might be that fish USUALLY can be quite shallow in the morning/evening, but mid-day many bigger fish move into the deeper channels near their home.
Do y'all think fish in the main lake are bigger and in the fish upriver or is this a misconception?

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 02:52 AM

Got it. Thanks for the responses everyone, was not expecting so much information smile
I think a good conclusion for the depth discussion might be that fish USUALLY can be quite shallow in the morning/evening, but mid-day many bigger fish move into the deeper channels near their home.
Do y'all think fish in the main lake are bigger and in the fish upriver or is this a misconception?

No bigger fish don't always move to deeper water. No main lake fish aren't bigger. Thousands of tournaments have been won as far up rivers as you can go.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 02:55 AM

They can be shallow mid day with cooler water temps. I know where I fish I start to see more bait and activity in the shallows as the sun gets higher. The fish start “sun bathing” on sunny days. Check that 3-5 ft range on the edge of cover and don’t be afraid to through top water even during the middle of the day. Good luck!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 03:05 AM

This for the summer.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 03:07 AM

This for the summer.

Nope

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 03:13 AM

I’m generalizing. JMO

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 03:16 AM

Wow I still have tons to learn!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 03:23 AM

Spend as much time on the water as you can is the best advice I have.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 03:28 AM

My advice is ignore what anyone else says. Figure out how you like to fish and go fish. For me I like to fish shallow. So ot doesn't matter if it's January or July. I fish shallow. And i will run as far up river or creeks as i can.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 03:32 AM

My advice is ignore what anyone else says. Figure out how you like to fish and go fish. For me I like to fish shallow. So ot doesn't matter if it's January or July. I fish shallow. And i will run as far up river or creeks as i can.

I’m a shallow guy as well. And when I say shallow 10ft or less. I will catch fish yr round 90% of the time. If I fish deep it’s 25 or less.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker16
sounds like the big ones are social distancing from your lures

They can sniff out that virus!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 02:08 PM

Jerk bait!

The problem is that we spend all our time money and efforts on the wrong things, things like presentations, lures, colors etc. when we should be studying lake maps, fish behavior,, fish preferences and comfort zones, migration routes, how the seasons, the weather, the amount of light and water color all affect the bass, the nature of fish, how they adapt when their preferences are not available, in a word hunting, and not fishing, being able to predict the location of a school of bass, then find them then apply the most efficient and effective way to present a lure to them!

The answer to the original question is the small bass scatter and hide In the shallow cover to survive, if they did not do so they would get eaten by the bigger fish!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 02:35 PM

Austinwader, what hs team was it and what weight won it? It would be interesting to see the results of the tourney. Did all the teams weigh in "dinks"? I would bet not. Kinda like a lot of other tourneys. A few get "on em", and the rest struggle. Kinda like a radio ad that runs down here in Austin: "Some people are financial wise...the rest are otherwise"!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 02:58 PM

Jerk bait!

The problem is that we spend all our time money and efforts on the wrong things, things like presentations, lures, colors etc. when we should be studying lake maps, fish behavior,, fish preferences and comfort zones, migration routes, how the seasons, the weather, the amount of light and water color all affect the bass, the nature of fish, how they adapt when their preferences are not available, in a word hunting, and not fishing, being able to predict the location of a school of bass, then find them then apply the most efficient and effective way to present a lure to them!

The answer to the original question is the small bass scatter and hide In the shallow cover to survive, if they did not do so they would get eaten by the bigger fish!

I don't know what you smoke. But I'm sure it's illegal

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 03:04 PM

I don't know what you smoke. But I'm sure it's illegal

Just waaaaaaay too much book reading.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 03:18 PM

No bigger fish don't always move to deeper water. No main lake fish aren't bigger. Thousands of tournaments have been won as far up rivers as you can go.

Listen to this guy.

He has won more money fishing way up a river than probably anyone else on this thread. I don't think the shallow resident river fish necessarily move deep after their morning feed. Deep to them may be 4 feet. I have sat and watched a 16# bass in an aquarium at Lake Fork Marina let bluegill peck at a sore on its upper lip for 45 mins without ever moving. Then when she "woke up" the bluegill sensed the danger and they all fled behind a big rock.

Most back river fish are most likely resident fish while the main lake fish are more migratory in my experience. I believe most fish feed in small windows of time during the day. The higher their metabolism the more time they feed. In 62 degree water (like now) if a 4# bass eats a 6" gizzard shad, that fish may not have to eat for a day or two.

That's my opinion. That and $2 will getcha a cuppa coffee at 7-Eleven.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Listen to this guy.

He has won more money fishing way up a river than probably anyone else on this thread. I don't think the shallow resident river fish necessarily move deep after their morning feed. Deep to them may be 4 feet. I have sat and watched a 16# bass in an aquarium at Lake Fork Marina let bluegill peck at a sore on its upper lip for 45 mins without ever moving. Then when she "woke up" the bluegill sensed the danger and they all fled behind a big rock.

Most back river fish are most likely resident fish while the main lake fish are more migratory in my experience. I believe most fish feed in small windows of time during the day. The higher their metabolism the more time they feed. In 62 degree water (like now) if a 4# bass eats a 6" gizzard shad, that fish may not have to eat for a day or two.

That's my opinion. That and $2 will getcha a cuppa coffee at 7-Eleven.

Lol, I haven't won peanuts. I just like power fishing shallow and going up creeks and rivers fits me. I think you were taking a shot at me. roflmao

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 04:16 PM

I don’t fish tours or for money or up any rivers! I fish for fun! Do I demand a high success rate!

Deep water structure, migration routes, drop offs! And there are huge schools out there for those who search for them!
All fish live most the time in deep water schools, so keep busting the bank and flailing the shallow cover and leave all the big schools of big bass to me! I can’t force you to learn, some country bumpkins are happy catching a few small stragglers! “You can’t catch bass where they don’t live” “deep water is the home (sanctuary) or the bass” Buck Perry! The legend!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 05:18 PM

I don’t fish tours or for money or up any rivers! I fish for fun! Do I demand a high success rate!

Deep water structure, migration routes, drop offs! And there are huge schools out there for those who search for them!
All fish live most the time in deep water schools, so keep busting the bank and flailing the shallow cover and leave all the big schools of big bass to me! I can’t force you to learn, some country bumpkins are happy catching a few small stragglers! “You can’t catch bass where they don’t live” “deep water is the home (sanctuary) or the bass” Buck Perry! The legend!

You contradict yourself more than a meth head giving confession

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 05:51 PM

Maybe you confuse my preference with the facts of fish behavior? Where Is a contradiction?

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 06:15 PM

An example of structure is the dam at Lewisville, massive major structure, there are ALWAYS bass on the dam!
What is the most “efficient” and “effective” Method of finding those big schools of bass, covering all that water from 10 to 40 feet? the dam is at least 2 miles long, I did not say what is your favorite method, or what is the most fun method, but the most efficient and effective taking the least amount of time! How long would it take? Now Smart A you can say a fly rod!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 06:32 PM

An example of structure is the dam at Lewisville, massive major structure, there are ALWAYS bass on the dam!
What is the most “efficient” and “effective” Method of finding those big schools of bass, covering all that water from 10 to 40 feet? the dam is at least 2 miles long, I did not say what is your favorite method, or what is the most fun method, but the most efficient and effective taking the least amount of time! How long would it take? Now Smart A you can say a fly rod!

You make less sense with every post you make. I sure hope you are just trolling because if you believe any of jabbering nonsense you post. Then I feel bad for you
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 07:08 PM

so many dinks is mainly because of a great young of the year class spawn a couple of years prior. nothing else.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 07:52 PM

I’m trying to help, you don’t have to be successful! I don’t Care, either way!
What great knowledge have you contributed?

“knowledge is the key to success“! Buck Perry

Large mouth bass are fish!
Fish live in schools!
Bass prefer a depth of 30 to 35 feet!
Light penetration, weather, water clarity all affect the behavior of bass!
Bass adapt to changes very slowly!
Bass use structure or lake bottom, as well defined migration routes!
Successful Migration routes must extend from deep water, (or deepest available) to the shallows!
Most large bass never (even during spawn) enter the shallows, 10 feet or less!
95 percent of the bass in any lake do not live in the shallows!

Most of the fish! Most of the time!
There are exceptions there are year round bass that live in the shallows, most are small young bass! The spawn and fair stable weather in the fall can allow some larger fish to be in the shallows, but they will not be in schools rather scattered throughout the cover!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 09:11 PM

https://www.bassfishinghof.com/inductee/buck-perry

Hall of fame Legend father of modern bass fishing and structure fishing!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 09:28 PM

https://www.bassfishinghof.com/inductee/buck-perry

Hall of fame Legend father of modern bass fishing and structure fishing!

you have a seriously ghey attraction to that man

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 09:29 PM

Knowledge is the key to success and he had the knowledge

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 09:31 PM

even his deepest spoon plug only ran approx 25ft the depths you claim.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA

I'm sure Goober can get them down to 35' with his 6# line.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by BrandoA

I'm sure Goober can get them down to 35' with his 6# line.

You’re probably right all for that 1lb trophy
Posted By: Clint W.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 11:35 PM

THIS GUY.......
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/18/20 11:50 PM

If I was new to bass fishing Gruber would have me confused as hell.

I actually just busted out laughing out loud! Thanks. I needed that. roflmao

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 03:03 AM

Gotcha Steez! He’s more confused now than he was a week ago! Poor kids head is about to explode.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 03:45 AM

http://www.umpquavalleybassmasters.com/bassbook.htm

All bass beyond the smaller sizes (nine to thirteen inches in length and averaging a pound in weight) are basically deep-water fish. That is where, in their respective schools, they will spend most of their time. Schools of bass occasionally travel or "migrate" from their deeper water haunts to shallower areas, making them easier to catch. But the larger the individual fish comprising the schools, the less willing they are to leave the deep water. When they do migrate they are likely to move as far into the shallows as some other school comprised of smaller fish.

Why are bass deep-water fish ? The larger any bass becomes, the more shy and retiring he is in his behavior. His survival instincts have become highly refined. Anything which even hints that his survival may be in jeopardy causes him to retreat hastily. The larger bass have grown and aged because their survival instincts were superior to those who had not endured such life-span. From the very moment they are hatched from their eggs, all bass' precautionary instincts have told them to flee from activity and noise or risk being eaten. As they grew older and larger they soon discovered that they were faced with little choice but to retreat to deeper waters. That is the only place large enough for a group to hide from disturbance.

Bright light, in addition to promoting still more anxieties over safety and well-being, is very uncomfortable to a bass' eyes which are adapted primarily for low light conditions. To find relief from bright light the bass must head for the depths and remain at some level where sunlight cannot penetrate or retreat into the shaded comfort of "colored" water or places where there are expanses of very heavily matted bottom weed-beds, lily pads, submerged brush, or felled trees.

But how deep is "deep"?? Depth is always relative. "Deep water" may be where an old stream channel winding along the floor of the lake drops off to ten feet. Ten feet is certainly deep water if 95 percent of the lake area averages only five or six feet in depth, which is a common situation throughout much of the South, especially in Florida, but also occasionally in northern lakes. The bass in such waters will probably be spending most of their time in an under water old stream channel. They will restrict their "homes" to certain portions of the stream channel where there is an undercut bank, such as an S-turn in the channel or a sharp bend in the former stream bed.

Reduced light penetration, such as during low-light periods of early morning or late evening or even after dark, might see the bass move to shallower water upon occasion. Cold front weather conditions might see them move considerably deeper! As a general rule, bass will go as deep as need be to feel safe and avoid bright light.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 12:37 PM

More book plagiarism and little real-life experience to base it on.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 12:56 PM

http://www.umpquavalleybassmasters.com/bassbook.htm

All bass beyond the smaller sizes (nine to thirteen inches in length and averaging a pound in weight) are basically deep-water fish. That is where, in their respective schools, they will spend most of their time. Schools of bass occasionally travel or "migrate" from their deeper water haunts to shallower areas, making them easier to catch. But the larger the individual fish comprising the schools, the less willing they are to leave the deep water. When they do migrate they are likely to move as far into the shallows as some other school comprised of smaller fish.

Why are bass deep-water fish ? The larger any bass becomes, the more shy and retiring he is in his behavior. His survival instincts have become highly refined. Anything which even hints that his survival may be in jeopardy causes him to retreat hastily. The larger bass have grown and aged because their survival instincts were superior to those who had not endured such life-span. From the very moment they are hatched from their eggs, all bass' precautionary instincts have told them to flee from activity and noise or risk being eaten. As they grew older and larger they soon discovered that they were faced with little choice but to retreat to deeper waters. That is the only place large enough for a group to hide from disturbance.

Bright light, in addition to promoting still more anxieties over safety and well-being, is very uncomfortable to a bass' eyes which are adapted primarily for low light conditions. To find relief from bright light the bass must head for the depths and remain at some level where sunlight cannot penetrate or retreat into the shaded comfort of "colored" water or places where there are expanses of very heavily matted bottom weed-beds, lily pads, submerged brush, or felled trees.

But how deep is "deep"?? Depth is always relative. "Deep water" may be where an old stream channel winding along the floor of the lake drops off to ten feet. Ten feet is certainly deep water if 95 percent of the lake area averages only five or six feet in depth, which is a common situation throughout much of the South, especially in Florida, but also occasionally in northern lakes. The bass in such waters will probably be spending most of their time in an under water old stream channel. They will restrict their "homes" to certain portions of the stream channel where there is an undercut bank, such as an S-turn in the channel or a sharp bend in the former stream bed.

Reduced light penetration, such as during low-light periods of early morning or late evening or even after dark, might see the bass move to shallower water upon occasion. Cold front weather conditions might see them move considerably deeper! As a general rule, bass will go as deep as need be to feel safe and avoid bright light.

You sure typed a bunch of words. It's a bunch of bs but a bunch of words. Good for you

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 01:56 PM

Real life experience are you joking, buck Perry fished almost everyday for 50 years!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 01:58 PM

You don’t have to believe scientific facts, but you can’t change them!
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 02:28 PM

popcorn2

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 02:43 PM

It’s a mental block, I also grew up fishing farm ponds and small lakes and the shallows on big lakes, thinking bass are shallow water loaner fish that only relate to cover, but it’s just not true, bass are deep water school fish that require no cover! Even the times the bass are in less that ten feet of water they still are in schools and they are not relating to cover but to structure, the bottom of the lake. Only small bass need cover for survival. Sometimes they suspend and don’t relate to the bottom, but they will be relating to some kind of structure! Like I say it’s a mental block, why do imagine that a school of bass located a at 60 feet Depth is deep? 60 feet is not deep, but you imagine it is very deep, because you don’t relate it to anything, most bass boats today are 20 feet long so we’re only talking 3 boat lengths!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 02:45 PM

Real life experience are you joking, buck Perry fished almost everyday for 50 years!

Talking about your real life experience

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 02:59 PM

It’s a mental block, I also grew up fishing farm ponds and small lakes and the shallows on big lakes, thinking bass are shallow water loaner fish that only relate to cover, but it’s just not true, bass are deep water school fish that require no cover! Even the times the bass are in less that ten feet of water they still are in schools and they are not relating to cover but to structure, the bottom of the lake. Only small bass need cover for survival. Sometimes they suspend and don’t relate to the bottom, but they will be relating to some kind of structure! Like I say it’s a mental block, why do imagine that a school of bass located a at 60 feet Depth is deep? 60 feet is not deep, but you imagine it is very deep, because you don’t relate it to anything, most bass boats today are 20 feet long so we’re only talking 3 boat lengths!

What are you talking about. No of what you are posting is scientific fact or even remotely correct.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 03:36 PM

I've always heard Buck Perry was a very adept fisherman but I didn't realize he was a scientist. laugh

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 03:50 PM

Your free to be an ignorant bumpkin there’s no law against that, IF you never Fish deeper than ten feet Deep in a 40 feet deep lake then you can only encounter 5 percent of the fish in that lake! Ignorance is bliss! Some people are happy with very low percentages and low success rates! More power to ya! I want the high percentage and high success rates! Even I a shallow lake like okeechobee fl. There are thousands of schools of 10 pound size bass each school having hundreds of fish way out in the deepest open water with no cover ! And that lake is almost a half a million acres!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 03:57 PM

they gots fins so they swims around.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 04:04 PM

All fish live in schools! There more educated than most jerkbait anglers on this forum! Lol
Posted By: Matt Houston

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 04:07 PM

This changes everything... all of my tackle is worthless. Im buying as many little georges as possible. Thank GAWD for "george Perry".

Im a Football coach, and based on this logic, Im also throwing out my RPO playbook and going back to the Wing T. Information from 20 years ago is so much better.

And remember, rotary phones will ALWAYS be your best option. Only 5% of largemouth people use cell phones.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 04:12 PM

The fish don’t change! They still relate to structure and school in deep water! That’s a fact! But you just keep busting the banks for The 5 percent And leave the 95 percent To real fishermen!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 04:15 PM

Not anymore, Im out deep from now on!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 04:18 PM

I love me some rip rap in 60' of water. A little 1" white grub on a 1/125th oz jighead thrown on unicorn hair 2lb test line and the finest Corinthian woven graphite rod will catch all the 10" bass a man could dream of. Just gotta make sure that rip rap is in ultra deep water as we all know bass hate shallow water. They hate it like peanut butter hates jelly.

Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 04:53 PM

There's gonna be a day when Gruber reveals himself...greatest troll there has been on TFF in quite some time

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
There's gonna be a day when Gruber reveals himself...greatest troll there has been on TFF in quite some time

Either the greatest troll or the most clueless
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser

For sure. I guess those elite bassmaster guys winning tournaments in a foot of water are all dumb country bumpkins. roflmao

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:04 PM

He is funny, I get a kick out of his content. I wonder if his inconsistency is intentional, or if he forgets what he said on other posts? Regardless, he is entertaining. The only thing more entertaining are the guys who think he is serious. But I wonder if he is also the guys who seem to think he is serious. That too is genius. Its gotta be hard to keep all those personas straight.
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:20 PM

lol, but my head hurts too roflmao

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:24 PM

Don’t mention David Fritts deep water cranking classic winner remember kneeling and reeling! But I’m the uneducated idiot! Whatever!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:26 PM

on Lake Amistad a few years back and caught fish all the way out to 70 feet on a jig, but most were in the 40- to 60-foot range

Documentation

https://m.bassmaster.com/blog/deep-water-football-jigs

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:28 PM

In foreign country’s like the people republic of California they catch spots at the 95 feet range! More proof! But you’ve done nothing when you bested a fool! Or a country fried bumpkin!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:40 PM

https://youtu.be/L1vt0EV30Gk

Bass at 65’
Posted By: Marc-62

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:42 PM

Waters about right I'll stick my big toe in. Gruber anyone who can post 268 post in 3 months is a troll or full of Sh*t ? Which is it Buddy ? texas I relate the name Gruber to a Jonathan Gruber who told the country they where full of sh*t so I can only assume you have brown eyes because you are full of it.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:42 PM

Your free to be an ignorant bumpkin there’s no law against that, IF you never Fish deeper than ten feet Deep in a 40 feet deep lake then you can only encounter 5 percent of the fish in that lake! Ignorance is bliss! Some people are happy with very low percentages and low success rates! More power to ya! I want the high percentage and high success rates! Even I a shallow lake like okeechobee fl. There are thousands of schools of 10 pound size bass each school having hundreds of fish way out in the deepest open water with no cover ! And that lake is almost a half a million acres!

If there was a lake with THOUSANDS of schools of 10 pound bass I would be there right now! And so would everyone else! You/Buck make a few valid points and then you start spewing nonsense.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:43 PM

I can explain deep water bass, can you explain lime green, fluorescent orange, and white fishing rods???
And long 6 ‘ plus rods? That’s the real mystery here!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:48 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:50 PM

Don’t mention David Fritts deep water cranking classic winner remember kneeling and reeling! But I’m the uneducated idiot! Whatever!

That was Paul Elias that won a Classic using kneel and reel. Figued a non bumpkin like you would know that.... roflmao

Its OK, no reply needed.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 05:50 PM

Spots! Completely different sub species than what you’ll find in Florida Gruber.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 06:11 PM

Spots are bass and it’s just an example

I mentioned both david fritts and the method kneeling and reeling, you could confuse corn bread and butter!
Pie R round cornbread R square!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 06:13 PM

I mentioned both david fritts and the method kneeling and reeling, you could confuse corn bread and butter!

No reply needed.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 06:25 PM

Is this Joe Biden?
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 06:29 PM

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 06:32 PM

Well Goober in reality bass are members of the sunfish family. Stripers are true bass.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 06:38 PM

Where do you find those strippers? In deep water?
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 06:57 PM

Check out John Hopes Tracking Trophies book if you want to learn about bass behavior in Texas. Or check out Ken Smiths recent series on youtube about tracking bass on Toledo bend. What you'll find is that some bass live almost their whole life shallow, some live almost their whole life in the mid range, and some live almost their whole life offshore. The notion that most adult bass live in deep water in simply false. The reality is bass get big wherever they can carve out a successful niche and they prefer to do so with as little movement as possible. Tough to get big and fat if you are expending energy swimming all over the lake morning noon and night. 2cents

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 07:00 PM

Where do you find those strippers? In deep water?

I have caught them from 18" of water and suspened in 100ft of water. Totally different species then LMB. I doubt you have much experience catching them since you only fish with fairy wonds and light line in creeks though.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Check out John Hopes Tracking Trophies book if you want to learn about bass behavior in Texas. Or check out Ken Smiths recent series on youtube about tracking bass on Toledo bend. What you'll find is that some bass live almost their whole life shallow, some live almost their whole life in the mid range, and some live almost their whole life offshore. The notion that most adult bass live in deep water in simply false. The reality is bass get big wherever they can carve out a successful niche and they prefer to do so with as little movement as possible. Tough to get big and fat if you are expending energy swimming all over the lake morning noon and night. 2cents

Well said J.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 07:14 PM

I like strippers but don’t fish for stripers! Nope bass are by nature fish and fish live in deep water in schools! Even in a shallow lake like caddo they are not relating to cover but to structure!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 07:31 PM

Gruber are you ignoring Jpurdue's post that contradicts your beliefs and actually uses scientific process to establish the point?

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 07:44 PM

This is rich.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 08:00 PM

I don’t have that book! Probably shallow lakes to begin with, no buck Perry is the father of structure fishing and modern bass fishing! Quote “deep water is the home (sanctuary) of the bass, “you cannot Find without structure”!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Houston
This changes everything... all of my tackle is worthless. Im buying as many little georges as possible. Thank GAWD for "george Perry".

Im a Football coach, and based on this logic, Im also throwing out my RPO playbook and going back to the Wing T. Information from 20 years ago is so much better.

And remember, rotary phones will ALWAYS be your best option. Only 5% of largemouth people use cell phones.

I still love The Brick
[Linked Image]

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 09:59 PM

That’s a gadget

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 10:06 PM

Gruber, how do you locate fish in 30-65 fow with no gadgets? And don’t say the countdown technique with a 3/16oz grub.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 10:26 PM

A depth finder! LCD! A gadget, but they found them back in the day, even covering huge amounts of water like a 2 mile long dam fro 10 to 40 feet deep by trolling, and only in a few hours

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue

I've watched those videos and found them quite interesting. Bass may not have changed much in the past 50 years but technology on how to find and track them sure has. Too bad some people are too ignorant to learn anything that's not in their Encyclopedia Britannica. Don't let technology pass you by

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 10:39 PM

Gruber, how do you locate fish in 30-65 fow with no gadgets? And don’t say the countdown technique with a 3/16oz grub.

I'm not sure he has ever caught a bass. I've always thought he was a troll but thought maybe he was just stupid. I'm now convinced he is a troll. No one can be as stupid as he makes himself on this thread.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 10:39 PM

A depth finder! LCD! A gadget, but they found them back in the day, even covering huge amounts of water like a 2 mile long dam fro 10 to 40 feet deep by trolling, and only in a few hours

Now you’ve contradicted yourself again. You said in a previous post you don’t use “gadgets “ rock

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 11:29 PM

Stupid how? Troll only spoons, I don’t care what anyone thinks! Fi your own thing for all I care
You asked how not what is my preference! I don’t care for them, but that is one way

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/19/20 11:37 PM

Here’s a video showing large bass using shallow cover. Probably made at least 40 years ago.

https://youtu.be/ybopUwSuiS8

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 12:29 AM

I promise you’ve never trolled any lure on 6lbs test line that has gotten down to 25ft +., ask any downrigger if they can find points and ridges without using a graph , the good ones can. My striper boat has 4 downriggers I’ve got lots of experience trolling learned from losing weights and rigs.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 12:52 AM

I'm still waiting on a moderator to shut this [censored] down.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 12:55 AM

C'mon Grub...you ignored Jpurdue's post and now you're gonna ignore my post about you ignoring Jpurdue's post??

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1bassdaddy
C'mon Grub...you ignored Jpurdue's post and now you're gonna ignore my post about you ignoring Jpurdue's post??

He won't answer. He is just trolling. No one is as stupid as he is acting

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 01:05 AM

Dubee...I agree with you.
Posted By: mg64

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 02:27 AM

My local lakes form a thermocline during the summer. No oxygen below about 8 feet on lake Proctor.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by mg64
My local lakes form a thermocline during the summer. No oxygen below about 8 feet on lake Proctor.

Dang I’ve never seen a Thermo that shallow. On Buch it’s usually around 35-40ft

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by mg64

Lol

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 03:01 PM

What do you do with Cove lakes like grapevine that has no natural cover and very little shallow water?
Or a very shallow lake with no natural cover like Navarro mills?

Just don’t fish there?

Yet these are the easiest lakes to fish, the most predictable locations of large schools of bass!

Then there is a lake like caddo that is very shallow and has very little structure, and massive expanses of cover, this is the most difficult lake to be successful, the most difficult or even impossible to predict locations of fish!

But we prefer to fish caddo, it’s our comfort zone, shallow water, visible objects to cast to.

Buck Perry quotes: deep water is the home of the bass, deep water is the basses sanctuary, most of the bass prefer 30 to 35 ft. Deep most of the time. 90 percent of the bass are in ten percent of the lake! (90 percent of your casts are to areas that have no fish)!

I did not ignore anyone, and I never said there are no large bass in shallow cover! But most bass most of the time are in deep water schools!

Why is hair jig such a control freak? Free exchange of ideas! Trolling? No I could not care less what you think or how you respond! Free country! More power to ya! I may be no better than anyone else, but I’ll be danged if I ain’t just as good!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 03:13 PM

Bigmouth forever! Glen Lau filmed in Florida in shallow natural lakes!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 03:49 PM

Groob...for a second there I thought you were announcing a change of your screen name. laugh

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 03:52 PM

Here’s a video showing large bass using shallow cover. Probably made at least 40 years ago.

https://youtu.be/ybopUwSuiS8

That is a great video!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 04:01 PM

I love that video, the fisherman is uncle homer who agrees completely with buck Perry that in normal lakes most bass live most of the time in deep water sanctuaries! But has no bearing on our subject cos it was filmed in shallow Florida lakes, all the fish are scattered in heavy cover and there is Really is no deep water!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 04:07 PM

How do you fish Jigging lures, slabs and jigging spoons at caddo?

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 10:51 PM

No answers? Buck must be right! Ok

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/20/20 11:01 PM

You and Buck are both right. Scroll down to the “off topic” threads now.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 01:23 AM

Oh and Goober I’m sitting at 16.... thats 16 largemouth bass over 10lbs. Every damn one of them caught 10ft or less.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 01:44 AM

That’s strong Brando.. I’m at 1.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 01:51 AM

That’s strong Brando.. I’m at 1.

Darin I’ve been blessed and damn lucky. Must admit 14 have come off private water and two on public..LBJ and Buchanan.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 01:53 AM

I caught one over 8 pounds deepish(15 ft hump on JP), Once. I have several over 8, two over 10. PB is 13.20....all caught in less than 5 feet, flipping cover. Lost a possible PB on RC skipping docks in 3-5ft.

I have caught thousands in 15-30 ft that were under 2 pounds. Lol. Go figure.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I caught one over 8 pounds deepish(15 ft hump on JP), Once. I have several over 8, two over 10. PB is 13.20....all caught in less than 5 feet, flipping cover. Lost a possible PB on RC skipping docks in 3-5ft.

I have caught thousands in 15-30 ft that were under 2 pounds. Lol. Go figure.

Kinda my experience with big fish. 13.2 is a hell of a fish. Still trying to break that teenage mark

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 02:07 AM

Several in the 5-7 range. 2. 8/9 pounders and a 10-3 caught at large pond. The deepest fish probably 15 fow. And I fish deep all summer. Deep to me is 15/20 fow.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 02:08 AM

13 is next goal.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 02:14 AM

If Choke and Falcon ever get full again it will be game on. Probably won’t happen in my life time though.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 02:20 AM

If Choke and Falcon ever get full again it will be game on. Probably won’t happen in my life time though.

It’s one flood away just like Buch. Buch is fixing to start turning out some toads. I’ve heard from local striper guides they caught a 14lb. Can’t verify it but I know some locals are catching tubs

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 02:26 AM

Good to know. I’ve only been there once about 8 years ago and it was about 40 feet low. Fishing sucked.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 02:37 AM

Good to know. I’ve only been there once about 8 years ago and it was about 40 feet low. Fishing sucked.

When Buch caught water after the drought and all that exposed brush became submerged that shad population exploded, in particular gizzards. For the last few yrs all fish have feasted. The last flood screwed things up but things are getting back to normal

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 03:02 AM

Great info. I’m gonna have to check it out.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 06:02 PM

And I don’t idolize buck Perry and I don’t always agree with him, I don’t like his and his disciples elitism and snobbish attitudes, I don’t much care for trolling, though I agree it is the most efficient and effective method to cover massive amounts of water and control speed and depth accurately, It is the most efficient and effective way to locate deep schools of bass, it is very boring way to fish!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 06:19 PM

https://youtu.be/WyudzFYjMU4

https://youtu.be/FaQPna5VN4U

Deep bass

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 08:03 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They weren’t 30’ deep and it wasn’t on 6#. I must be doing something wrong and wasted my time on the water this morning

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 08:52 PM

Those are not dinks. Solid.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 09:57 PM

Nice I am impressed with such blind luck, with the bass scattered in the shallows catching a ten plus is really impressive, it’s a needle in a hay stack compared to a school of 3 to 4 hundred ten plus on a point or break line in deeper water, finding them is difficult but any ten year old boy could catch them!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 10:03 PM

Nice I am impressed with such blind luck, with the bass scattered in the shallows catching a ten plus is really impressive, it’s a needle in a hay stack compared to a school of 3 to 4 hundred ten plus on a point or break line in deeper water, finding them is difficult but any ten year old boy could catch them!

Then why haven’t you?

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 10:22 PM

I’ve been catching bass since ‘66 when I was 5 yrs old

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 10:25 PM

I’ve been catching bass since ‘66 when I was 5 yrs old

Why aren’t you catching all these 10+ ? Is it because you like to catch dinks?

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 10:27 PM

..........it’s a needle in a hay stack compared to a school of 3 to 4 hundred ten plus on a point or break line in deeper water, finding them is difficult but any ten year old boy could catch them!

Good Gawd! Where are these 300-400 sized schools of 10# fish located? No need for specifics .... just tell me what state they are in?

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 10:49 PM

There in deep water on the break lines! Reference buck Perry “deep water is the home of the bass” 90 percent of the fish are in 10 percent of the lake”! Migration routes, ray roberts is a great structure lake, deep Chanel, secondary creeks, road beds, etc. (I had friends who had property north of where the lake is now, I’ve driven for years all those country roads with iron bridges that are now under water, in high school we would hunt crows on those roads close to the creeks, big pecan trees there and crows are always in season)

You are confusing the facts of deep water bass and my personal preference, I love fishing small lures on light line in shallow water, riprap ramps, etc. I love fishing shallow pads with a frog or jitterbug Or worm as much as anyone, But most pads are unproductive water, most of the giant pad fields at caddo have very few fish, the guides there fish the chanels, but a flat with pads close to deep water such as a Chanel bank I’ve found to be very productive! I fished one at Holbrook many times, and one at Quitman by fork on the main lake.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 10:54 PM

There in deep water on the break lines! Reference buck Perry “deep water is the home of the bass” 90 percent of the fish are in 10 percent of the lake”! Migration routes, ray roberts is a great structure lake, deep Chanel, secondary creeks, road beds, etc. (I had friends who had property north of where the lake is now, I’ve driven for years all those country roads with iron bridges that are now under water, in high school we would hunt crows on those roads close to the creeks, big pecan trees there and crows are always in season)

You are confusing the facts of deep water bass and my personal preference, I love fishing small lures on light line in shallow water, riprap ramps, etc. I love fishing shallow pads with a frog or jitterbug Or worm as much as anyone, But most pads are unproductive water, most of the giant pad fields at caddo have very few fish, the guides there fish the chanels, but a flat with pads close to deep water such as a Chanel bank I’ve found to be very productive! I fished one at Holbrook many times, and one at Quitman by fork on the main lake.

channel^ hmmm

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 11:18 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 11:28 PM

GRUBER, you still didn't answer my question.

Where are these schools of 10# bass that number 300-400 found?

Your statement ... not mine.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/21/20 11:43 PM

My we are greedy now?

They are in the lake of course, no, according to Buck Perry and his disciples they are located in deep water migration routes between deep water and the scatter point, (10 foot )

deep water is the home of the bass, deep water is the basses sanctuary, most of the bass prefer 30 to 35 ft. Deep most of the time. 90 percent of the bass are in 10 percent of the lake!

Usually you start at the river Chanel that has a structure like a roadbed that goes all the way across the lake, or a secondary creek where it intersects the river Chanel, somewhere from the deepest point to the scatter point are large schools of bass, and bass being fish school in size range, the 5 pounders together, the 10 pounders together etc.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 01:23 AM

https://youtu.be/i-3hukq8uaA

Doug Hnnon

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 02:12 AM

My we are greedy now?

They are in the lake of course, no, according to Buck Perry and his disciples they are located in deep water migration routes between deep water and the scatter point, (10 foot )

Greedy? Nope. I'm just asking you to tell us what lake these 10# bass congregate in schools of 300-400. You are the one who made that statement.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 02:27 AM

All lakes that have deep water, they prefer 30 to 35 feet. Most Texas lakes not caddo of course, nature & behavior of fish, bass are fish, fish live in schools, schools live in deep water which is the home of the bass, a word on safety out fishing a wide open expanse like tawakoni the wind can make it like an ocean out there so be safe, there will also be huge schools of fish other than largemouth bass.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 02:37 AM

Goober you claim to know where all these 10+ fish live and how easy they are to catch but you fail to show proof . All you do is quote some guy that had a theory. Still waiting on pics

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 02:40 AM

Buck Perry has hundreds of pics online and YouTube and it’s not theory, his fifty years of fishing
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 02:43 AM

Yes, every lake has schools of bass with 4,000 pounds of bass all over it. Amazing that the pros don’t just go find one and weigh in 100 lbs each tournament. Amazing that the big bass guys in California don’t just go find them.

roflmao

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 02:46 AM

I’m also a big fan of charlie brewer and slider fishing, this is what started me on light line fishing, staying at my mother in laws in Wichita ks I found sliders at rusty’s tackle shop.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 02:54 AM

Buck Perry has hundreds of pics online and YouTube and it’s not theory, his fifty years of fishing

I don’t give two rats [censored] of his pics or videos I want to see yours

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 02:55 AM

Fritts won the classic on deep water cranks, and football jigs were developed just for deep bass

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 03:00 AM

Fritts won the classic on deep water cranks, and football jigs were developed just for deep bass

What’s the old saying in Texas “ All hat and no cattle”. Hell you don’t even have a hat
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I love me some rip rap in 60' of water. A little 1" white grub on a 1/125th oz jighead thrown on unicorn hair 2lb test line and the finest Corinthian woven graphite rod will catch all the 10" bass a man could dream of. Just gotta make sure that rip rap is in ultra deep water as we all know bass hate shallow water. They hate it like peanut butter hates jelly.

This was awesome. I needed that laugh. Thanks.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 03:20 AM

https://youtu.be/vRLcxYF2Uso

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 03:25 AM

👌

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 03:31 AM

Not sure about Choke but Falcon could be better in the future. We are in control of the dam now. At least I am hoping us being in control of the dam helps things.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 03:43 AM

All in know is Mexico owes us a lot of water...Amistad and Falcon.
When did we take over control of the dam?

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 03:49 AM

Damn, Gruber hijacked this kids thread without actually trying to. Or maybe he did. Even the OP gave up after page 3.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 03:51 AM

All in know is Mexico owes us a lot of water...Amistad and Falcon.
When did we take over control of the dam?

They owe us money. I read an article that said control of the dam was part of the payment. Now it’s politics so take it for what it’s worth. I don’t have any first hand knowledge.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 05:04 AM

This.
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/2020/10/23/mexico-reaches-deal-pay-water-debt-us/3742921001/

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 05:33 AM

That might have been it. After reading that I guess it’s not so much control over the dam as much as giving the US rights to the water and how it’s distributed between US and Mexico. Either way it sounds like it could possibly help control the water levels along the Rio Grande waterway.
Don’t know we will ever see a full Falcon but hopefully it might get better.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 05:45 AM

Both Amistad and Falcon will receive significant water but it won’t be near enough to fill them.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 12:26 PM

I'm still waiting for GRUBER to answer my question ?!??!?!?!?

Schools of 300-400 bass all weighing over 10# has got my interest.

What state or lake are these schools of huge fish located? We'd ALL like to know.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 03:51 PM

I’m also a big fan of charlie brewer and slider fishing, this is what started me on light line fishing, staying at my mother in laws in Wichita ks I found sliders at rusty’s tackle shop.

Charlie Brewer Slider worms are awesome. I still fish them.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 04:02 PM

No it was unintended, but that’s the nature of a forum, what lakes ray Roberts, ray hubbard, tawakoni, texoma, Sam Rayburn, Toledo, fork, Hubbard creek etc. big lakes with big deep water.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 07:04 PM

No it was unintended, but that’s the nature of a forum

Unintended?

As in ....... Exaggerated?

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 07:09 PM

Lake types:

Some lakes are far more predictable than others, and therefore far more successful.

We like to fish like buying a lotto ticket, hoping to get lucky and win, we cannot be consistently successful fishing based on luck and hope!

A Cove lake like grapevine that has no natural cover and very little shallow water?

Verses a natural lake like caddo, that is very shallow and has very little structure, and massive expanses of unproductive cover.

A natural lake like Caddo is the most difficult lake to be successful, the most difficult or even impossible to predict locations of fish!
They are scattered everywhere, like finding a needle in a haystack!

Yet a cove lake like grapevine is the easiest lakes to fish, the most predictable locations of large schools of bass! Located on defined migration routes that lead from the deepest water to the shallows.

But we prefer to fish caddo, it’s our comfort zone, shallow water, visible objects to cast to, I have fished some of the most beautiful Bassiest, snakiest, looking water there is with absolutely no fish there, and I have fished very ugly water like strip pits where the bass are stacked up on deep points like cord wood!

Rarely does our comfort zone and the basses comfort zone actually match!

The basses comfort zone is main lake deep 30 to 35 feet sanctuary out in the middle of the lake, to fish there you are going to be way out of your comfort zone, dealing with high winds and waves, and burning sun and heat in summer, but our comfort zone is a protected cove casting to docks that have very few fish.

Knowledge is the key to success!
90 percent of the fish are in 10 percent of the lake!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 08:10 PM

roflmao

Another long-winded crock of [censored] and still no answer to the question.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/22/20 11:42 PM

How many times do I have to answer your question?

Having ears but do not hear, do not take the time to interpret what is being said.

The pro’s say these over and over!

1) found a large concentration of bass at 12 feet.

Why 12 feet? Cos the bass especially the larger bass are reluctant to enter the shallow water, 10 feet or less.

2) put trolling motor on high and cover as much water as possible with a lipless crankbait.

90 percent of the bass are in 10 percent of the lake.

But why try to eliminate the 90 percent instead of predicting and locating the 10 percent? Who knows? Knowledge is the key to success.

Lake types:

Some lakes are far more predictable than others, and therefore far more successful.

We like to fish like buying a lotto ticket, hoping to get lucky and win, we cannot be consistently successful fishing based on luck and hope!

A Cove lake like grapevine that has no natural cover and very little shallow water?

Verses a natural lake like caddo, that is very shallow and has very little structure, and massive expanses of unproductive cover.

A natural lake like Caddo is the most difficult lake to be successful, the most difficult or even impossible to predict locations of fish!

Yet a cove lake like grapevine is the easiest lakes to fish, the most predictable locations of large schools of bass! Located on defined migration routes that lead from the deepest water to the shallows.

But we prefer to fish caddo, it’s our comfort zone, shallow water, visible objects to cast to, I have fished some of the most beautiful Bassiest, snakiest, looking water there is with absolutely no fish there, and I have fished very ugly water like strip pits where the bass are stacked up on deep points like cord wood!

The basses comfort zone is main lake deep 30 to 35 feet sanctuary out in the middle of the lake, to fish there you are going to be way out of your comfort zone, dealing with high winds and waves, and burning sun and heat in summer, but our comfort zone is a protected cove casting to docks that have very few fish.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 01:55 AM

Goober I’m still waiting on pics of your epic catches.. please post them

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 02:00 AM

Having ears but do not hear, do not take the time to interpret what is being said.

The pro’s say these over and over!

1) found a large concentration of bass at 12 feet.

Why 12 feet? Cos the bass especially the larger bass are reluctant to enter the shallow water, 10 feet or less.

2) put trolling motor on high and cover as much water as possible with a lipless crankbait.

90 percent of the bass are in 10 percent of the lake.

But why try to eliminate the 90 percent instead of predicting and locating the 10 percent? Who knows? Knowledge is the key to success.

Lake types:

You know you can get porn on the same computer you're haranguing us on...right? Free! Please, you need another outlet. "haranguing, a "deep" word meant to catch others with a 1/16 oz grub on 2lb line in 65 feet of BS!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 02:03 AM

You still can’t change nature!

Deep water is the home of the bass!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 03:06 AM

Goober post pics of you and you’re epic catches and we will all stop calling you a [censored]

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 01:08 PM

Just ONCE will be fine.

I'll make it easier for you since you are having difficulty.....

ONE WORD is all that is required.

WHAT LAKE are these 300-400 bass schools of 10# fish located in?

One word (name of the lake) is all that is required.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 03:08 PM

Ray roberts

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 03:21 PM

Ray roberts

So you are saying that there are schools of double digit bass in RayBob that number 300-400?

I'm certain that TPWD would dearly love to know where you got that info.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 03:37 PM

Ray roberts

Is that the first lake that came to mind when you pulled it out of your @zz

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 03:42 PM

What’s the lake record? Over 10 pounds? Well it nature, bass are fish, fish live in schools according to size, find the river Chanel in the middle of the lake, at the area of Indian creek, find where the road bed crosses the river Chanel it’s called harpole road on the north 922 side and Alexander road on the south pilot point side, start at the creek Chanel fish the drop off on the road bed until you find the school of fish!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 04:48 PM

Same on Any large impoundment even if does not have road beds, you can do the same with a secondary creek that goes all the way to the Chanel, this is good at fork, there are road beds but they are shallow and not in the main lake area, also the dam follow the base of the dam from the Chanel, you may also find large schools suspend under bait in open water near the chanel
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hair Jig
Ray roberts

So you are saying that there are schools of double digit bass in RayBob that number 300-400?

I'm certain that TPWD would dearly love to know where you got that info.

I'd just like to know what kinds of meds Gruber is on, or off
noidea

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 05:37 PM

Crack is bad

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 05:45 PM

Don’t fight it!

I know it’s a mental problem for those of you who never heard of these things before, I was the same way, I grew up on farm ponds and cover and busting the banks, it take time to sink in, but it is the nature of fish, your acting like a man who is surprised to see a dog laying around all day, it’s their nature!

Are bass (lmb) fish? Yes
Do fish live in schools according to their size? Yes
Are schools large? Yes
Do bass have deep water sanctuaries? Yes

Deep water is the “home” of the bass.
90 percent of the fish are in 10 percent of the lake.
Only 5 percent of the fish enter the shallows less than 10 feet deep most of the time!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 05:52 PM

Grubber, how about you post some cast to catch videos of you catching these deep water giants instead of just regurgitating information you read?

Otherwise you are just spewing and showing your ignorance with every reply.

Or you could just shut up.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by JPeel
Grubber,
Or you could just shut up.

Now THERE"S a thought.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 06:09 PM

And I thought it was a free country? A forum was a place to share your opinions and experiences? I don’t tell you to shut up, or to read my posts or require you to respond! Texans are so friendly, whatever!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 06:33 PM

I never said I know it all, I never said I was any better than anyone else, I’ll be danged if I ain’t just as good.
Just sharing my understanding and experiences! Not a big deal

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 06:45 PM

I’m just trying to help them catch more and bigger fish, why crucify me, I’m just the messenger not the expert!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 07:28 PM

I’m just trying to help them catch more and bigger fish, why crucify me, I’m just the messenger not the expert!

Then quit trying to come across as one!

There are folks on here who have fished more days than you can ever imagine, and done so with much success. You have ZERO idea who you are preaching to and even less idea what their credentials are. You'd be much better off listening more and speaking less. And quoting print is a total waste of time. Real world experience trumps paper every time. I've never seen a fish that read these books either.

This will be my last post to you on this "debate" because no matter what is said you have some sort of comeback touting deep water fishing and how that is the best way to catch big fish. Well ..... it is NOT always that way.

End of story.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 08:08 PM

I’m sure these guys are better fishermen than me, better at presenting a lure to the fish, I never claimed to be super fisherman, and obviously much better and smart with the electronics, I don’t even know which way is up, we can all improve, and broaden our horizons, there’s more to it than busting banks and fishing the scattered 5 percent in the shallows, that’s all I’m saying

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 08:50 PM

Supposed be friends on here, why all this competition, there’s plenty of lake and lakes for everyone, most guys hide these secrets, some like me are generous and want everyone to catch a bunch. No one is forcing you to believe it, or even to read it. But knowledge is the key to consistent success, no one can deny that! No reason to be offended, or to have an attitude, just cos you don’t know about something doesn’t mean it’s not true! Live and learn say I, I wish someone should teach how they fish jigs, i could learn a thing or two, love them finesse jigs but I’m no expert.

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 10:30 PM

And I thought it was a free country? A forum was a place to share your opinions and experiences? I don’t tell you to shut up, or to read my posts or require you to respond! Texans are so friendly, whatever!

You lost your expectation of friendliness a long time ago in this thread with the ignorant bumpkins comment!

Want to share you experiences, well please do. Show us your cast to catch proof of your deep water prowess. Prove all of us ignorant bumpkins wrong!

Or are you really just a lonely troll who's been cooped up in isolation for way too long
popcorn
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/23/20 10:47 PM

Post some photos. A picture is worth a thousand words. So by now, there should be dozens of pix!

Re: Why so many dinks? - 11/24/20 12:20 AM

What’s the lake record? Over 10 pounds? Well it nature, bass are fish, fish live in schools according to size, find the river Chanel in the middle of the lake, at the area of Indian creek, find where the road bed crosses the river Chanel it’s called harpole road on the north 922 side and Alexander road on the south pilot point side, start at the creek Chanel fish the drop off on the road bed until you find the school of fish!

It’s math. The lake record does not mean there are 100s of carbon copies of that fish in the lake. The larger the fish, the fewer there are of that size in the lake.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum