Texas Fishing Forum

Where are all the covid boats 4 sale?

Posted By: SC-001

Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 02:17 PM

I thought it was mentioned here in the cost of used boats thread months ago there would be a glut of boats selling before Christmas, as result of newbies buying boats to social distance during the first shutdown/lockdown. I've scanned several classifieds and not really seeing that. Did boat sales during that time not go up and that was a myth?
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 02:21 PM

Give it another year. Monthly payments will start to wear some owners down, especially if the economy doesn’t pick up or gets worse. Or maybe not. Who knows?! Anybody claiming to be able to predict anything these days is probably delusional at best.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 02:29 PM

I think there’s a lot of bitter people that think just because a lot of people bought boats that normally wouldn’t have It means they must not be able to afford them.
Posted By: Ben B

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
I think there’s a lot of bitter people that think just because a lot of people bought boats that normally wouldn’t have It means they must not be able to afford them.

This is probably more likely. I purchased a new boat back in June after taking a 5 year hiatus...did the virus play a part? Sure. However we had been saving up for a vacation to Europe and since our plans got cancelled last summer and it looks like it will be a while before we can travel unrestricted again...we decided to put a good down payment on a boat.

I'm really not sure why guys think people can't handle boat payments right now. There are plenty of people doing just as good, if not better, in some lines of work during this whole virus ordeal. I know several people who have recently purchased extra vehicles, property, etc. Which leads me to believe the above statement is a more likely scenario...
Posted By: BassPontoon

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 02:52 PM

I had no idea what COVID boats were lol. I knew there was one that ended up in New York when it all first started, I think it was white with a huge Red Cross on it...

From what I understand, people are waiting months for their new pontoons to arrive when they purchase from a manufacturer so I guess that shows there has been an uptick in sales? I agree with Cuervo though, maybe it still too soon for the boats to be back on the market? Who knows.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 03:21 PM

Last I saw sales for new and used were way up
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 03:38 PM

It's coming. Already two for sale by me and both owners owe more then what they retailed for new. Good luck with that.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 03:44 PM

Not sure it’s a matter of people not being able to afford them. I figure it’s more a case of people not really wanting them after awhile. Looking out the window and seeing $100k of boat, motor, trailer, electronics, and gear that gets used only a couple times a year and is depreciating by the minute can get old. I sold a skiff a few years back not because I couldn’t afford it, but because I didn’t use it enough to warrant keeping it and doing maintenance, etc. Different strokes and all that.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
It's coming. Already two for sale by me and both owners owe more then what they retailed for new. Good luck with that.

How is that possible? Did they not make a down payment or any payment ever and let the interest build? Curious how you can buy a boat new and owe more money then the sales price?
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 03:54 PM

I'll have a covid free boat for sale soon.

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by TxBazzn

How is that possible? Did they not make a down payment or any payment ever and let the interest build? Curious how you can buy a boat new and owe more money then the sales price?

I bought my last boat with zero down, salesman said not possible and quickly changed his tune when I got several approvals. But in this case take a boat with MAP pricing say like a Skeeter, not saying this ones a Skeeter but it is. Tack on freight, rigging, and TTL. Thats close to 10% on some boats so amount financed is pretty close to msrp, add in the fact that Skeeter came out with a rebate after person purchased. Now if its a 12 year loan almost all of your first few dozen payments are all interest and no principal.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 04:42 PM

Why would people sell their boats when fishing and boating are some of the few things that were allowed?
And now, folks are out using them more than ever.
Posted By: Ben B

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 04:45 PM

It just sounds like a lot of people are trying to tell others what to do with their money, huh? Kinda like the same sort of people we voted against hmmm so what's the deal guys?

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones
Not sure it’s a matter of people not being able to afford them. I figure it’s more a case of people not really wanting them after awhile. Looking out the window and seeing $100k of boat, motor, trailer, electronics, and gear that gets used only a couple times a year and is depreciating by the minute can get old. I sold a skiff a few years back not because I couldn’t afford it, but because I didn’t use it enough to warrant keeping it and doing maintenance, etc. Different strokes and all that.

Very few actual 100k bass boats out there. Majority 40-70k
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 05:15 PM

I'm seeing tons of boats for sale on FB Marketplace and on the sales forums like TFF and BBC.

They might not be the boats you are looking for and as mentioned they might be priced higher than what you can get a new one for but they are there. thumb
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 05:38 PM

I thought people wouldn't be able to afford them after the shut downs and the market would be full of people trying to reduce monthly expense.

The exact opposite happened. They bought them all up!

Same thing happening with lakefront property and it's driving the values up. Priced me out of buying one right now. Downside to low interest rates I guess. People paying too much because they buy based on payment amount.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 07:45 PM

I bought my last boat with zero down, salesman said not possible and quickly changed his tune when I got several approvals. But in this case take a boat with MAP pricing say like a Skeeter, not saying this ones a Skeeter but it is. Tack on freight, rigging, and TTL. Thats close to 10% on some boats so amount financed is pretty close to msrp, add in the fact that Skeeter came out with a rebate after person purchased. Now if its a 12 year loan almost all of your first few dozen payments are all interest and no principal.

Ah ok. I didn’t realize zero down was an option on boats.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 08:59 PM

Pay cash. Never have to worry about the repo man.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 09:00 PM

Joe and his side chick got a cure for the covidious 19
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by B. Dill
I thought people wouldn't be able to afford them after the shut downs and the market would be full of people trying to reduce monthly expense.

The exact opposite happened. They bought them all up!

Same thing happening with lakefront property and it's driving the values up. Priced me out of buying one right now. Downside to low interest rates I guess. People paying too much because they buy based on payment amount.

ditto on the lakefront property.... I'll catch it on the back side once they start the foreclosures and quick sales from the Biden Economy Collapse
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by WLBDallas

Yeah im sure 1 out of every 100 people can do that.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet

Well I'm your 1, rule of thumb I've always followed for toys, if I don't have the liquid to buy it outright I don't need to be putting it on payments for a few years much less 12 thats just nuts

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001

Well I'm your 1, rule of thumb I've always followed for toys, if I don't have the liquid to buy it outright I don't need to be putting it on payments for a few years much less 12 thats just nuts

Good for you!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Walls

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
Originally Posted by SC-001

Good for you!

[Linked Image]

roflmao

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 09:50 PM

Ah ok. I didn’t realize zero down was an option on boats.

If your credits stout enough you can. I did a 6 year loan and paid it off in 3.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/16/20 11:23 PM

I got a covid boat for sale! Just dropped it a grand today.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Where are all the covid boats 4 sale? - 11/17/20 01:03 AM

boat for sale on the low side of nada an under 20k are easy to sell every time your boat goes up 10 in value up around 50 k they have less buyers for them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum