Texas Fishing Forum

Falcon Advice

Posted By: wh2004

Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 03:49 PM

I’ve got nothing happening around thanksgiving and thinking about staying at the State Park down there. It’s a long way to go to wing It on a lake I have no knowledge of though. Any advice, areas, techniques to help catch these big fish everyone talks about would be awesome. Thanks!

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 04:26 PM

Did a little research and will stop in at the tackle shop in zapata on the way in for sure.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
Did a little research and will stop in at the tackle shop in zapata on the way in for sure.

You'll receive some good advice from them fella's.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 04:54 PM

Is the ramp at the state park open? I don’t have 4wd
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 05:01 PM

Is the ramp at the state park open? I don’t have 4wd

It wasn’t three weeks ago. Launching off the point is not a problem with 4wd but I would not go alone with 2wd.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 05:07 PM

That sucks. Are there campsites where I can put It in Zapata and then leave the boat in the water for the three days of camping? Hate to have to drive up there everyday.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 05:32 PM

There are no campsites on the water in the Statepark , but there is plenty of shore that you could beach your boat if your not concerned with leaving it unattended at night.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 05:37 PM

It’s not a bad run from county ramp to dam as long as the wind isn’t blowing too hard.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 06:28 PM

I would not leave a boat unattended on the bank at night.

Been down many times and never had any issues at all but common sense would tell me... not a good idea. The banditios come out at night and fishing boats are great for running dope and people in, they will use them one time, try to look like fisherman, and then just ditch the boat on the US side and catch a car back across the damn into Mexico again. I have seen it.

So a boat left on the bank at night is a nice target to be stolen for those purposes.

They are crafty vatos too, if they cant start it they will tow it to across and sort it out later.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 06:30 PM

Sounds like a good lake NOT to fish.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
I would not leave a boat unattended on the bank at night.

Been down many times and never had any issues at all but common sense would tell me... not a good idea. The banditios come out at night and fishing boats are great for running dope and people in, they will use them one time, try to look like fisherman, and then just ditch the boat on the US side and catch a car back across the damn into Mexico again. I have seen it.

So a boat left on the bank at night is a nice target to be stolen for those purposes.

They are crafty vatos too, if they cant start it they will tow it to across and sort it out later.

Yeah definitely not going to do that!
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 08:03 PM

Call James at the bait shop and get his up to date advice.
Posted By: Tmayfield

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 10:48 PM

My son and I are headed down there on Saturday and fishing through Tuesday. Staying at the Holiday Inn in Zapata. How long of a run is it from County ramp to the dam?
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 11:07 PM

I’ve only been once. My advice is don’t go when it’s 36’ low.
Posted By: markson

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tmayfield
How long of a run is it from County ramp to the dam?

23 miles one way

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 11:23 PM

With the ramp closed I may rethink this trip. I want to relax in camp and come and go easily from whatever park I’m at. Not spend alot of time driving and making long runs.
Really wanted to go where its warmer though.

Any other suggestions?

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 11:31 PM

With the ramp closed I may rethink this trip. I want to relax in camp and come and go easily from whatever park I’m at. Not spend alot of time driving and making long runs.

Any other suggestions?

Choke or Amistad.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 11:41 PM

Just go to Fayette county and catch em until it’s boring. I fish Choke regularly and definitely wouldn’t want to drive 8 hours to fish it for multiple days. Way over rated!
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/15/20 11:52 PM

Any other suggestions?

State park is nice. You can fish right there. No long runs or drives. You’ll just have to pull your boat out of the water to take a break etc.

Never been to a Amistad but no water front there either that I have googled.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Just go to Fayette county and catch em until it’s boring. I fish Choke regularly and definitely wouldn’t want to drive 8 hours to fish it for multiple days. Way over rated!

Fayette is a circus. Go somewhere else.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 12:18 AM

I guess if you want to chill and need a paved ramp, Choke might be ok. Fishing is definitely hit or miss though. Canyon lake has lots of camping, but the fishing is mediocre at best.
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 01:39 AM

Canyon is better for strippers. Not B.B.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
Canyon is better for strippers. Not B.B.

Unfortunately I’ll have the wife with me.
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 02:10 AM

Stripers*.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 02:11 AM

If it were me, I would rent a house at LBJ or get a cabin at Little Lodge on the Lake at LBJ. Old, nice and clean cabins with a ramp on main lake in Kingsland. You and the wife will love it. If you do, I'll fill you in on where to eat or you can grill at your cabin. A very good winery is right up the road.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 02:36 AM

I actually love the area. Grandparents had a place on the river in kingsland when I was growing up. We’re trying to hit state parks though. We’re about 35 parks in to our goal of going to them all. Including inks lake and longhorn caverns. That’s kind of part of this trip. Specifically hitting the state park.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 12:49 PM

I actually love the area. Grandparents had a place on the river in kingsland when I was growing up. We’re trying to hit state parks though. We’re about 35 parks in to our goal of going to them all. Including inks lake and longhorn caverns. That’s kind of part of this trip. Specifically hitting the state park.
If Falcon State Park is on your list wait till the lake comes up. That dirt launch is a pain. Also realize that the area where the guys were jacked at gun point last week is only about three miles from the park. Not saying you would encounter any trouble but not exactly a relaxing family getaway. There are plenty of rentals close to county ramp and plenty of fishing close to that side of the lake.

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 12:57 PM

I appreciate the advice. You think it’ll ever come up?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 01:11 PM

I appreciate the advice. You think it’ll ever come up?

Sure, it will come up, might be 10 years or might be next week. Can’t predict Mother Nature.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 01:13 PM

Yes, it will cycle up again.
When it’s this low, not only is almost all of the shallow brush out of the water, but the really good rock is also dry land
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Falcon Advice - 11/16/20 01:20 PM

If Inks is on your list that may be a really nice choice this time of year. Inks has a good number of stripers and Buchanan has been fishing pretty good lately as well. And in a pinch LBJ is only about a 35 or 40 minute drive for a day trip. Probably not near as good a chance at catching quality largemouth at any of them as Falcon, but 3 lakes within 35 minutes would be pretty decent way to go.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum