Texas Fishing Forum

Fluorocarbon knots

Posted By: Darin S.

Fluorocarbon knots - 11/11/20 10:53 PM

I just watched the Canterbury video about knots on B.A.S.S. and he never ties a polamar on Fluoro. I have always used it on all line types with no issues. What knot do you guys like to tie on Fluoro and why?
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/11/20 11:03 PM

All I ever tie on fluoro is a jam knot! Quick and easy, and have never had an issu!
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/11/20 11:18 PM

palomar and that's all I have ever tied and never had a problem, this will be interesting popcorn
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/11/20 11:20 PM

Palomar and never have a failure. Anybody that says a palomar and flouro don't mix isn't tying it right.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/11/20 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunwilly
Palomar and never have a failure. Anybody that says a palomar and flouro don't mix isn't tying it right.

yep

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/11/20 11:36 PM

I was surprised when he said that polamar sinks down on itself and it cuts itself in two. Never heard that one...
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/11/20 11:53 PM

palomar will break on me with tatsu under 15 lb on the hook set if I tighten it down too fast.

if you put it on your tongue while you tighten you can feel the heat build from the friction thats why we wet it but it takes a lot or some patience with lighter lines

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 12:07 AM

I know it can bn your line easily without enough moisture. My buddy is so scared of line burn he ties his crankbaits on in the water. I will check my line after i tie my knot and re-tie if I have any burn. I don’t think that’s what Canterbury is talking about though...so he doesn’t have the paitence or moisture to tie if when he fishes for a living and is usually surrounded by water?

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 12:09 AM

And I can’t spell today!!! Cheers!
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 12:27 AM

Right, the only knot I use and never had a knot problem. Even used it for salt water fishing
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 12:31 AM

Only knot I’ve ever used for lures (other than drop shot) regardless of line type is improved clinch. I’ve read all kinds of bad things about It but I’ve never had any issues. Before getting into bass fishing I fished all over Florida saltwater for years with 10 to 20 lb fluoro and improved clinch and no issues.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
I was surprised when he said that polamar sinks down on itself and it cuts itself in two. Never heard that one...

He is tying it wrong.
If you tie it correctly it works just fine.

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
palomar will break on me with tatsu under 15 lb on the hook set if I tighten it down too fast.

if you put it on your tongue while you tighten you can feel the heat build from the friction thats why we wet it but it takes a lot or some patience with lighter lines

I learned this from Gary Klein, run your line through the eyelet and then back through creating a loop and make sure both lines are parallel to each other. Then tie the over hand knot making sure the lines do not twist. Then grab the knot in front of the eyelet and pull it back away from it forming a figure 8. That keeps the knot loose. Slowly tighten the knot and keep pulling it back away from the eyelet keeping it loose. As you finally tighten it make sure the loop cinches down between the knot and the eyelet. He said if you do it that way the knot stays loose all the way until the end and you don't even need to wet it but you can if you want.
Posted By: saibling

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 01:18 AM

Shaw Grisby has a knot I've been using a few years. Not sure the name however you can find it on youtube. I like a polomar for braid and mono and the Grigsby knot for fluoro.Shaw Grigsby demonstrates the BEST knot for fluorocarbon line.wmv
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 01:27 AM

Palomar Knot here as well. Tie it right and no issues.
Posted By: RPD

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by saibling
Shaw Grisby has a knot I've been using a few years. Not sure the name however you can find it on youtube. I like a polomar for braid and mono and the Grigsby knot for fluoro.Shaw Grigsby demonstrates the BEST knot for fluorocarbon line.wmv

I've used this same knot on fluorocarbon for years with no issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE3OXADeadw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I905PXIYww
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 03:24 AM

I use the trilene knot for everything
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 10:47 AM

This is the knot I use and it works awesome for me. I have used it for years.
Swindle nailed it. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oukO_j8NFRw
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by txmasterpo

I can't keep that knot from slipping loose.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 02:37 PM

Palomar Knot... Dan
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 03:15 PM

That was the first knot I learned. My uncle taught I to me when I was a kid. I still remember how to tie it, but I only use a palomar knot, or uni to tie leaders.

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 03:20 PM

Palomar, Pitzen and Alberto are the 3 I use.
Posted By: James Niggemeyer

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 04:49 PM

Eugene Slip Knot - Super easy, super effective and quck!

Posted By: SAKS

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 05:10 PM

I will use a uni and jam knot with fluoro (will tie a double of both if fishing harsh environments). Both have done me very well.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by SAKS
I will use a uni and jam knot with fluoro (will tie a double of both if fishing harsh environments). Both have done me very well.

Doubled uni for me (uni knot, just doubling the line)
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 05:55 PM

Double San Diego Jam Knot says Mark Pack.

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 06:00 PM

Lots of good info here. But I’m going to stick with the Palomar.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
Lots of good info here. But I’m going to stick with the Palomar.

I think any knot will serve well. It's just a matter of what you're confident in or maybe just one you like to tie.

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 06:37 PM

I agree SAKS. That video just got my wheels spinning.
Posted By: gbarrett26

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/12/20 06:43 PM

Palomar 100% of the time
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/13/20 01:42 AM

SD Jam on everything here. I double it on my big baits.
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/13/20 01:47 AM

If KVD uses a Palomar it's good enough for me!! Just make sure the line doesn't twist. Easy to tie and extremely strong.
Posted By: MCIPinkie

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/13/20 03:12 AM

I strongly recommend every one of you try the Eugene Bend that James N. was showing.

I tried it after watching him on YouTube. It's got to be the easiest knot I've ever seen to tie even with my bad eyes and diminishing small motor skills. You don't have to pass the bait through it like the Palomar.

I tie it in all my hard lines. Mono and FC. 8 lb. to 25. No problem. I take 4 turns rather than 3. Just looked and felt better.

I'm 74 years old. Consider myself a knot buff. Think I've tried them all at least once, but I've settled on this for mono and FC.
Posted By: Bass_Taco

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/13/20 04:04 AM

The carne asada knot
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/13/20 01:58 PM

I use the knot in the Gary Klein and Shaw Grigsby videos (I think one of them call it a double pitzen). Very easy to tie and I don't think I can attribute a single break off to knot failure. It didn't happen frequently, but back when I tied a palomar, I would get an occasional knot failure. Yes, I'm sure I tied it wrong, so it's probably not the knot's fault--just mine, so call it user error knot failure. But, with the double pitzen, I don't have user error knot failure.
Posted By: tricky

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/13/20 08:59 PM

Wonder why the guides and pro’s don’t use the polamar knot
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/14/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lee Finlay

You making two passes through the eye and it slips??
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/14/20 01:52 AM

Exactly
Posted By: dnuggett

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/14/20 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by tricky
Wonder why the guides and pro’s don’t use the polamar knot

Some do, some don't. Just like anything.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/14/20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Finlay

You making two passes through the eye and it slips??

I'll cut the tag long. After several casts it will become shorter.
When I lose a lure, it's always at the knot, with a curly section at the end.
Never lost a fish, though.
Posted By: furim2

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/14/20 03:05 PM

When floro first came out, I was using palomar and breaking on the hooksets. I went to a lighter rod and quit ripping their lips on the hookset. I then read an article in Bassmaster by Gary Klein. He said he had the same problem till he went with the Eugene Bend. He showed how to tie it. It is very easy. That stopped my problems, and have never broke at the knot on hookset since.
Ironically, Gary and I fished a small lake from the shore one time. I let him use on of my rods and he chose a buzzbait. After I got home I checked his knot. Definitely not a Eugene.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/14/20 03:10 PM

^^^
Probably why the more senior pros and guides use something else—they had bad experiences with the prototype fluoros and never went back to palomar and Fluoro out of habit.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/14/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Champion1
Double San Diego Jam Knot says Mark Pack.

thumb
Posted By: Buchbass2

Re: Fluorocarbon knots - 11/15/20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
Only knot I’ve ever used for lures (other than drop shot) regardless of line type is improved clinch. I’ve read all kinds of bad things about It but I’ve never had any issues. Before getting into bass fishing I fished all over Florida saltwater for years with 10 to 20 lb fluoro and improved clinch and no issues.

Ditto, never had a problem and it's quick and easy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum