Texas Fishing Forum

First time on hubbard

Posted By: Anthonysince94

First time on hubbard - 11/10/20 01:58 PM

I plan on fishing ray hubbard this afternoon for the first time. What should I be targeting today to find the fish? Ive heard the rocks on 30 and the dam but I feel like those spots get hammered. Any tips or spots to target today?
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/10/20 02:05 PM

Was out there on Sunday and lots of shad are heavily schooled up in the main lake so I would be hitting the riprap with a crankbait.

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/10/20 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tx_basser
Was out there on Sunday and lots of shad are heavily schooled up in the main lake so I would be hitting the riprap with a crankbait.

When you say rip rap what do I need to look for? Are we talking about rock banks or heavily trashed banks?
Posted By: Gruber

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/10/20 02:23 PM

Riprap is the chunk rock on dams and roads
At Hubbard there’s riprap along I30 and around the marinas
You could also fish the marinas and tire reefs
Light line and small shad patterns white single tail grub or a maribou jig or a no. 7 rapala or beetle spin works well
Parallel to the rocks
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/10/20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Anthonysince94
Originally Posted by tx_basser

When you say rip rap what do I need to look for? Are we talking about rock banks or heavily trashed banks?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riprap

[Linked Image]

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/10/20 09:19 PM

Nice
I wish I could load pics

Parallel with shad patterns catch and release in very hot grease after applying corn meal
Posted By: n_fish

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/10/20 09:27 PM

Hey Grub, largemouth bass ARE NOT a preferred species to eat. I’d fish under the bridges of I-30 and catch and release into the grease some big ole crappie fillets! Easy to catch right now and taste delicious

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/10/20 09:46 PM

Personal preference! I like Bass better that the others if there 14 inches or less, we grew up catch bass in small lakes and ponds, fresh caught small bass tasty as anything else, whatever floats your boat
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/10/20 10:21 PM

I would def try the MeKong or the Government ditch towards 205
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/10/20 11:28 PM

Dont be scared to throw a jig on the riprap either.had a few good late fall bites out there on one.love that lake but the location blows

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/11/20 01:24 AM

Nothing to show for today. Tried a spinnerbait, square bill (shad color,craw color), rat l traps, spook, drew a blank on everything. I wish I would have fished slower and flipped around the edges maybe try a fluke.

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/11/20 01:37 AM

One inch white curly tail grub or maribou when all else fails

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/11/20 01:42 AM

I actually thought about you and tied on a white curly tail crappie jig. Probably didnt throw it enough to give it a chance.

Re: First time on hubbard - 11/11/20 02:10 PM

You may have to search for them, fish the water column and remember how far out from the rocks and how deep you are, others areas same distance and depth should hold fish, the may be closer to the Chanel don’t forget the points of riprap on a bridge especially the up current point!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum