Texas Fishing Forum

TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX

Posted By: saskeeter

TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 11/09/20 01:05 AM

I recently bought a new home that has a side entry garage. I am unable to push my 2014 Skeeter ZX 225 into the garage without swinging the front end of my Tundra off the driveway, over sprinkler heads and into my neighbor's yard. The garage will easily hold my Skeeter if I can find a way to push it in. I am considering the TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX Power Dolly Systems. I have read a number of mixed reviews and seen a number of videos on this electric dolly. Does anyone have any experience with the TX 6000 Power Dolly maneuvering their bass boat? I am really hoping I can find a way to get my boat in my garage and not have to store it somewhere else.
Thanks!

saskeeter
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 11/09/20 05:23 PM

Yes, I have experience with them. Measure the slope of your driveway. Read the limitations of the machine clearly before you buy it, because the owner will charge you $500 to ship it back and a restocking fee. He's in Canada, so it has to go Express Freight.

Another solution that I know will work on my slope is www.djproducts.com. They go for about $6000 and will pull anything.

If you have a flat drive, check out Park 360. They are much better than the the Trax products.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 11/09/20 05:30 PM

Do some research and watch some videos on a front mounted receiver hitch for your truck. You can easily turn the trailer this way. See what you think of this solution
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 11/09/20 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by K.D.
Do some research and watch some videos on a front mounted receiver hitch for your truck. You can easily turn the trailer this way. See what you think of this solution

Agreed. And you have MUCH better visibility of where you are pushing the trailer.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 11/09/20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by WLBDallas
Yes, I have experience with them. Measure the slope of your driveway. Read the limitations of the machine clearly before you buy it, because the owner will charge you $500 to ship it back and a restocking fee. He's in Canada, so it has to go Express Freight.

Another solution that I know will work on my slope is www.djproducts.com. They go for about $6000 and will pull anything.

If you have a flat drive, check out Park 360. They are much better than the the Trax products.
For $6000 I would just by a little tractor and move it wherever you want.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 11/10/20 01:53 PM

Same issues here. Side load, irrigation, landscape, fence, etc. Hope you'll report back with whatever decision you make. Of the few I've looked at this Trax seems to be the better design at a fair price.

Ain't nothing worse than paying for storage.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 11/10/20 02:46 PM

Riding mower should move it pretty easy
Posted By: rockyp1017

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 11/10/20 02:49 PM

I have mounted a hitch on the front of my truck to do what you are talking about. Too bad you are in San Antonio or I would come by and try it for you.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 11/11/20 03:58 AM

For those that haven’t seen a front hitch setup, this gives a great example of how maneuverable it is.

Posted By: TexasToast

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 03/03/21 11:46 AM

Any other feedback on the TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX? I am in the same situation, moving in a month, and I will be dealing with a narrow alley, and need to get the boat in the garage.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 03/03/21 04:31 PM

It doesn't work well. It's a winch motor on wheels and tips super easy. Would not recommend.
Posted By: BeltonBasser

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 03/03/21 08:17 PM

I just recently moved into a house with a side entry garage pretty far back from the road and significantly elevated at the garage. The driveway has a pretty good slope, so was beyond concerned about overall safety and potential of losing control of the boat when attempting to get into the garage. To echo a comment above, if I try to back all the way in, I too would drop the truck off the retaining wall trying to make that 90 deg turn into the garage.

I looked at all the available options for a tow dolly and decided none were really going to meet my need reliably (meaning if I lost control of the dolly, the boat would then go over the retaining wall!). My final solution was actually the most effective and lowest cost. I purchased a 120 V electric winch from Harbor Freight and mounted at the rear of the garage in the concrete floor with Redhead anchors.

I then back the boat up the driveway and just park it at a 45 deg angle in front of the garage door. Put wheel chocks in place, and attach the winch cable to the trailer (using 2 tow straps slipped over a cross member on the frame), disconnect from the truck, then have my wife push the button to winch on into the garage.

I have bit of a slope (thus my concern for the powered trailer dollies), but the winch doesn't even bog down a bit. I use an inexpensive hand trailer dolly (also from Harbor Freight) to guide the bow in as my wife is winching it in. To get the boat out, we just do everything in reverse. Doesn't take long now that we have a pretty good routine worked out.

Two potential problems though... 1. This solution requires two people... one on the winch control and the other on the bow with the trailer dolly, and 2. You REALLY need some slope or getting it back out of the garage would be tiresome. When in the garage it is on a flat surface, but move it about 2' when winching it out and the driveway slope just takes it right out on it's own.. no pulling or pushing. I would hate to have to manhandle it if on a totally flat driveway.

Attached picture IMG_2103.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2104.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2111.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2101.jpg
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 03/03/21 09:19 PM

If you were considering some multi thousand dollar option, I would think about a side by side little 4 wheeler vehicle. I have a two seater Mule I purchased used and I move trailers all over my property with it. It is also very handy for clean up, hauling, and hunting season. Just a thought...
Posted By: jacksonmj

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 03/03/21 11:25 PM

That guy kind of sucks maneuvering a trailer but that’s a great option
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 03/03/21 11:41 PM

Obvious question why buy a house that doesn’t fit your needs?
If I had to go through all that proably wouldn’t fish much lol.
J D
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 03/04/21 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by basscaster46
Obvious question why buy a house that doesn’t fit your needs?
If I had to go through all that proably wouldn’t fish much lol.
J D

A man that thinks things through!
Posted By: TexasToast

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 03/04/21 12:08 AM

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 03/04/21 03:44 AM

This is a false statement. The TX6000 does NOT use a winch motor. Their website states it does NOT use winch motors and speaks AGAINST dollies that do use them. I’m going to be ordering a TX6000 in the next few weeks. My personal research arrived at the conclusion that this is the best made and best supported dolly for the money.

Measure any grades you have. If it’s 5% or less this unit will handle it. If you have any doubts call the guy and he will help you decide whether his dolly will work for you.

Originally Posted by WLBDallas
It doesn't work well. It's a winch motor on wheels and tips super easy. Would not recommend.
Posted By: saskeeter

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 03/04/21 04:29 PM

I did end up buying the TX 6000. It works but it's very tricky due to the slope of our drive next to the garage. I can't just cut it straight in due to the slope. I have to maneuver around so that I can push it straight back in order to get it in. Initially my biggest concern was if there was enough weight on the tongue of the trailer to keep the dolly from "wheelieing" up. That is a significant concern but the extension handle really helps to minimize that. I would definitely recommend that. The bigger problem for me is definitely the slope.

Hopefully that made sense!

I do LOVE having my boat in my garage!!!
Posted By: Read Newman 1973

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 12/19/23 05:14 PM

saskeeter, you should give the TRAX power dolly guys a call as they have improved their ball mount design. I have the latest mount, and it keeps the dolly from kicking up when everything is connected correctly. Check out their new design with this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh4B6aEk3Rc or got to their website at www.traxdolly.com/tx6000/ They also have a new attachment I'm waiting on that will allow for adding standard weight plates to the dolly, and from what I understand, it will allow the power dolly to gain traction when using on larger grades. I think the TRAX sales guy's name is Jeff and if you give him a call and let him know your issues are he will have a fix for you. They treated me way better than I expected as my trailer dolly is out of warranty and yet he sent parts out to me at cost of shipping. I am really impressed with their product and the fact they haven't increased pricing for almost 8 years.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: TX 6000 Power Dolly by TRAX - 12/19/23 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by BeltonBasser
I just recently moved into a house with a side entry garage pretty far back from the road and significantly elevated at the garage. The driveway has a pretty good slope, so was beyond concerned about overall safety and potential of losing control of the boat when attempting to get into the garage. To echo a comment above, if I try to back all the way in, I too would drop the truck off the retaining wall trying to make that 90 deg turn into the garage.

I looked at all the available options for a tow dolly and decided none were really going to meet my need reliably (meaning if I lost control of the dolly, the boat would then go over the retaining wall!). My final solution was actually the most effective and lowest cost. I purchased a 120 V electric winch from Harbor Freight and mounted at the rear of the garage in the concrete floor with Redhead anchors.

I then back the boat up the driveway and just park it at a 45 deg angle in front of the garage door. Put wheel chocks in place, and attach the winch cable to the trailer (using 2 tow straps slipped over a cross member on the frame), disconnect from the truck, then have my wife push the button to winch on into the garage.

I have bit of a slope (thus my concern for the powered trailer dollies), but the winch doesn't even bog down a bit. I use an inexpensive hand trailer dolly (also from Harbor Freight) to guide the bow in as my wife is winching it in. To get the boat out, we just do everything in reverse. Doesn't take long now that we have a pretty good routine worked out.

Two potential problems though... 1. This solution requires two people... one on the winch control and the other on the bow with the trailer dolly, and 2. You REALLY need some slope or getting it back out of the garage would be tiresome. When in the garage it is on a flat surface, but move it about 2' when winching it out and the driveway slope just takes it right out on it's own.. no pulling or pushing. I would hate to have to manhandle it if on a totally flat driveway.

You thought about extending the length of the winch control cable?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum