Texas Fishing Forum

A method of finding winter bass

Posted By: Gruber

A method of finding winter bass - 11/05/20 04:37 PM

I did not say it’s the best method or the only method so don’t accuse!

In winter bass are usually suspended over creeks or on the edges of flats close to creeks or deeper water, usually bright sunny days they suspend up and feed.

A good method for locating the fish and the depth the fish are holding is to use a countdown lure.

I like to use a 1/16 or 1/8 maribou jig as a count down, fish the water column until you get a strike, then fish the area at that depth with a jerk bait, rapala’s usually, original, 1 to 4 ft. deep diver, 4 to 8 ft. and countdown rapala if there more than 8 feet deep, no I don’t consider a rapala to be a crankbait so don’t go there, then find other creeks on the lake with similar depths and there will likely be fish! This is not my method but comes from Billy and Bobby Murray and Al and Ron Lindner! One of them won the classic do they must be smart! Right!

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/07/20 05:27 PM

A small grub will countdown also
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/07/20 10:50 PM

I like to find them on my graph.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 12:06 AM

I don’t use any gadgets, ole school know how! Works for me
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 12:22 AM

troll
Posted By: 9094

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 12:33 AM

I think minnows on 4 lb test fished under a slip bobber at half the depth of the channel works best.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 01:25 AM

I only troll spoons! Gadgets also spook fish!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gruber

How do you know where the edge of the flat is or the creek bed, or where they’re suspended over the creek bed? How long to count down?
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 01:51 AM

Alabama rig- north facing creeks that are steep and rocky with clear water

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 07:58 PM

Study a map at home then locate the area then the Trees will indicate to location of the creeks, and as for finding the right depth you cover all of them 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 keep going you will find them
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by James Biggs

Do you prefer north facing in the winter because the wind will be blowing into them most days? Thanks in advance.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_K

Do you prefer north facing in the winter because the wind will be blowing into them most days? Thanks in advance.

They get the most sun. Water warms faster.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 10:21 PM

A south wind hits north facing. A COLDER north wind hits south facing.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Chris_K

They get the most sun. Water warms faster.

thumb
Posted By: meP2too

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/08/20 11:48 PM

You don’t need to know seasonal pattern, just turn on your Livescope.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/09/20 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by meP2too
You don’t need to know seasonal pattern, just turn on your Livescope.

Can’t! Christmas ain’t here yet.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/09/20 02:15 PM

If I had big bucks I would just hire a guide! But half the fun is finding them with ole school know how!

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/09/20 09:30 PM

And the original finesse swim baits white curly tail grub or a maribou jig
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 12:39 AM

So you consider a graph a "gadget"?? What about a boat,, is that a "gadget"also? Since you are "ole school" do you just fish from the bank?
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

So you consider a graph a "gadget"?? What about a boat,, is that a "gadget"also? Since you are "ole school" do you just fish from the bank?

With a cane pole

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by BrandoA

With a cane pole

Waders.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 01:57 AM

From the bank and wading but not in winter the bass are too far out on the creeks, anything electronic is a gadget accept a troll motor
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 12:57 PM

From the bank and wading but not in winter the bass are too far out on the creeks, anything electronic is a gadget accept a troll motor

Yeah, my Grandpa had a Trolling Motor back in 1870 when he was fishing on the Sabine River. Folks around there said he was a cheater.

Can you provide a link to the "gadget" list so all us old schoolers know where to draw the line between gadgets and just plain old innovation?

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 02:25 PM

Anything without line or a prop! But that’s my opinion my preference! It’s free country, more power to ya!
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 02:30 PM

I eat all the bass I catch, YUM!!!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 03:16 PM

Anything without line or a prop! But that’s my opinion my preference! It’s free country, more power to ya!

Without line? So spears only?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Without line? So spears only?

He's so good that when fish see him they just jump in his arms.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 07:27 PM

How well does that TM you speak of work without a prop?

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 09:09 PM

He asked what is a List of gadgets? it’s a gadget if it has no line or a prop!

In other words I have big motor, trolling motor they have props!
Fishing rods and reels they have line
A paddle and a floatation and there required no choice and the boat itself
Plain enough for you critical people
Keep it simple as possible and more time fishing equals more fish equals more fun

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 10:57 PM

So how do you determine that a graph is a gadget but a trolling motor isn't?

Keep it as simple as possible you say, so get you a canoe and a paddle. NO GADGETS. remember, you are "ole school" as you have said several times.

BTW I truly believe you wear pink panties while fishing as you stated in another post.. You are out there....WAY out there.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 11:06 PM

Keep it simple as possible and more time fishing equals more fish equals more fun

First you say no line or no prop then you say your reels have line and you say your big motor and trolling motor have props...LOL You can't even agree with yourself.

I am not that "ole school" so I have never seen a graph that comes with fishing line on it or a prop on it either.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/10/20 11:34 PM

He titled this thread "A method". He didn't say " A good method ".

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/11/20 02:33 PM

Sissy fishing that’s me! I’ve caught more bass out of a canoe then you can imagine

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/11/20 02:35 PM

Such a friendly forum
Posted By: Dubee

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/11/20 02:55 PM

First you say no line or no prop then you say your reels have line and you say your big motor and trolling motor have props...LOL You can't even agree with yourself.

I am not that "ole school" so I have never seen a graph that comes with fishing line on it or a prop on it either.

You are miss understanding him. He said anything without line or a prop is a gadget. It's really not that hard to understand.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/11/20 03:40 PM

Thank very much! But that’s just my preference! It’s a free country! More power to ya! Darling Briscoe darling!

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/11/20 04:13 PM

I love solving riddles.
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/11/20 06:38 PM

People on this forum will literally criticize anyone's opinion. Use your thick skulls and critical thinking skills. When the man say's gadgets, maybe use the context clues you guys should have learned in 3rd grade and quit challenging people on every single thread. Don't worry dude, those of us with a hs education understand what you were saying.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/12/20 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Seale
People on this forum will literally criticize anyone's opinion. Use your thick skulls and critical thinking skills. When the man say's gadgets, maybe use the context clues you guys should have learned in 3rd grade and quit challenging people on every single thread. Don't worry dude, those of us with a hs education understand what you were saying.

LOL simple minds.

Gruber keeps throwing out his goofy ideas saying he knows better than anyone else. He even contradicts himself in his posts and you agree with him... WOW,,two of you out there. HAHAHAHAHAH

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/12/20 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dubee

You are miss understanding him. He said anything without line or a prop is a gadget. It's really not that hard to understand.

So how exactly do you and Gruber determine that a trolling motor is not a gadget but a graph is? Why isn't the trolling motor a gadget also? After all if you are ole school you should use a paddle and not a trolling motor.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/12/20 02:22 AM

Even people that don't have a hs education can read between the lines and see when someone is saying they are better than you by the way they present their opinion.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/12/20 03:11 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Dubee

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/12/20 03:32 AM

I am not that "ole school" so I have never seen a graph that comes with fishing line on it or a prop on it either.[/quote]

You are miss understanding him. He said anything without line or a prop is a gadget. It's really not that hard to understand. [/quote]

So how exactly do you and Gruber determine that a trolling motor is not a gadget but a graph is? Why isn't the trolling motor a gadget also? After all if you are ole school you should use a paddle and not a trolling motor.
[/quote]

Hold on there skippy. I don't agree with anything he says. I think all his post are him trolling. But your reading comprehension isn't very good. He didn't contradict himself. You just read it wrong or can't read English
Posted By: rj74955

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/12/20 04:11 AM

A 24 year old high school senior could figure out he's trolling.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/12/20 04:37 AM

I wonder how goober feels about livescope and snagging Bass???
Posted By: senko9S

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/12/20 01:01 PM

hes gonna beat you all in a derby dunce

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/12/20 03:08 PM

Right pal! But that just my preference!

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/13/20 01:36 AM

Don’t even know what live scope is, sounds like tv, Next you will say you can’t fish without a computer I guess?

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/13/20 12:30 PM

Don’t even know what live scope is, sounds like tv, Next you will say you can’t fish without a computer I guess?

I can't find fish without a computer.

You can now claim to be clairvoyant.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/13/20 03:06 PM

Years ago I bought about a 650 piece crappie jig kit from bass pro. These jigs probably go up to 3/16 oz. with jig heads that were provided. I discovered when fishing with the larger jig heads and bodies on Lake Fork in the dead of winter in sub freezing temps largemouth bass would bite these larger jigs in deep water. Yes small lures will get them but there are other methods too.

Re: A method of finding winter bass - 11/13/20 06:06 PM

I’ve got a method for early spring big bass but I won’t share it now
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum