Texas Fishing Forum

Best Fall baits for riprap?

Posted By: Gruber

Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 04:20 PM

What’s your best fall riprap bait?

Please be specific

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 04:50 PM

Also give details how fast or slow how deep close to the rocks or off them?
What spinning rod reel and line too
Posted By: MV

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 04:55 PM

Berkley 4” green pumpkin craw pegged lightest weight.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 05:21 PM

Does it hang up a lot in the rocks
Also fall should mean bass feeding heavily on shad not craws?
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 05:47 PM

There are tons of good baits for rip rap.
Buzzbait, Zara Spook, PopR, Spinnerbait, Chatterbait, RatLTrap, Red Eye Shad, Swim Jig, Swimbait to name a few. My favorite used to be the Spinnerbait but I tend to throw the Chatterbait most of the time now. But don’t think they are preferring Shad over Craws this time of year. My brother fished a tournament recently and fished mainly rip rap and at the end of the day he had a ton of pieces of Crawfish in the bottom of his livewell.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 06:52 PM

Square bill shad colored crank bait or a jerk bait will get it done.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 06:54 PM

I love to throw a deep diving crank bait chartreuse/blue back and bounce it off the rocks in the fall. Catch some real nice fish doing that.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 07:06 PM

I like a pre-Rapala wiggle wart on 4 lb line. Best action. Bounce it off as many rocks as you can before it’s gone for good.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gruber
Does it hang up a lot in the rocks
Also fall should mean bass feeding heavily on shad not craws?

The lake I fished Saturday...the fish were gorging on craws. I caught one that had a head and pincers sticking out of its throat.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 07:22 PM

What part of Texas is that lake?
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 07:26 PM

Big rat or MS slammed parallel to the rocks in low light. 20-30 lbs test and a heavy swimbait or musky rod.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 07:50 PM

Most riprap bass are small? Why the heavy tackle and big lures?
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 07:55 PM

I'm game for this stupendous inquiry...

12lb Subline Flouro
DT6 Chrome / Black

Slow retrieve w/ pauses

Have fun

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 07:58 PM

I don’t fish for most bass. I fish for big bass.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 07:58 PM

???? Man I’ve caught several 9+ and a few 10’s on riprap.. it holds fish of all sizes I assure you.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 08:57 PM

How deep are the big ones this time of year, Are we taking dfw area lakes?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 09:07 PM

inches to 30+ feet deep
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

inches to 30+ feet deep

so when are we going? I'm ready for another 30 pound day!
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I like a pre-Rapala wiggle wart on 4 lb line. Best action. Bounce it off as many rocks as you can before it’s gone for good.

roflmao
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 09:16 PM

those light line threads have gotten the best of you lol

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 10:11 PM

Can you drop shot on riprap? I was gonna try by using cheap split shots weights so if you loose some who cares, seams like it would work with the bait above the rocks? Who knows?

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 10:13 PM

Those light line threads keep disappearing must be a conspiracy involved somewhere?
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/02/20 11:37 PM

I dont think I could cast a senko on 4lb line and get it back.try weightless with a split shot halfay up the line like a crig if your getting hung alot
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 12:01 AM

Never fished Falcon have you
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 12:02 AM

Livewell is full again.
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 12:09 AM

roflmao

Some of the biggest smallmouth I've caught came off rip-rap
Posted By: 9094

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 12:32 AM

Come on Steez send the guy some baits, weights and coordinates.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 12:54 AM

I've had success early morning and late with a slow retrieve large Jitterbug , then a nail weighted Craw/Orange Senko, throwing it to the rock and slowly dragging it downhill , I've seen no rhyme nor reason as to the depth they hit it, anywhere from the first fall in 2 FOW to 10-12 FOW right before I reel it back in. This is steep bank riprap. I can't keep a T Rig from hanging up , the nail weighted Senko not too much.
Posted By: John Peebles

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 02:05 AM

I've caught a lot of bass on a trap fishing rip rap.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by 9094

Fairfield. 1/16th weighted weedless wacky rigged Senko. Watermelon/red/black fleck. The northern end of the lake in 8-10 ft (the boat), across from the spillway, casting to the edge of the Hydrilla.

Can’t get more specific than that. Using a Falcon Lowrider 7’ medium fast rod with a Shimano Stradic FI reel. 20lb power pro super slick 8 with a 7’ 8lb Seaguar InvisX leader. Cast it out, let it drop a 8 seconds (4ft)...shake it, lift it, repeat.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 02:37 AM

Never fished border lakes, and don’t fish for small mouth ain’t none to speak of in N.T. Don’t fish high price baits like senko’s

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 02:39 AM

Never fished border lakes, and don’t fish for small mouth ain’t none to speak of in N.T. Don’t fish high price baits like senko’s

Grapevine, Bridgeport and Ray Roberts have snallmouth. I have 6lb 6oz smallmouth out of Bridgeport and lots of 3lb plus ckass smallmouth out there.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 02:42 AM

Make your own “Senkos” with a Do-it mood for around 15 cents a bait. It’s what I do when Walmart is out of Senkos or my wife forgets to buy them for me.

The high priced bait is the pre Rapala Wiggle Wart I suggested. They are going up in price every day. Lately they are fetching $40 each in the good colors, in lightly used condition.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 02:48 AM

Fairfield. 1/16th weighted weedless wacky rigged Senko. Watermelon/red/black fleck. The northern end of the lake in 8-10 ft (the boat), across from the spillway, casting to the edge of the Hydrilla.

Can’t get more specific than that. Using a Falcon Lowrider 7’ medium fast rod with a Shimano Stradic FI reel. 20lb power pro super slick 8 with a 7’ 8lb Seaguar InvisX leader. Cast it out, let it drop a 8 seconds (4ft)...shake it, lift it, repeat.

I’m there tomorrow thanks steeezzzzz

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king

I’m there tomorrow thanks steeezzzzz

Back out and drop shot in 25+ in front of the intake canal for the big fish.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 03:21 AM

I’ve caught small smb at grapevine but I’m fishing for spots

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 03:23 AM

I have zero confidence in senko’s I would rather fish a twitch worm which is a Weightless straight piece of worm 4 or 5 inches with one or two small hooks in it

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 03:37 AM

I’ve caught small smb at grapevine but I’m fishing for spots

grapevine is full of spots... I always catch a few of them each trip

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 02:40 PM

A small white single tail grub or a small white maribou jig even only one inch size will catch riprap bass when all else fails, but since there fun to fish and catch lots of fish I fish them all the time, riprap, edges and base of boat ramps and docks, marinas and tire reefs
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 02:49 PM

Yes, 2.5 inch secret grub like lure in white and chartreuse on a small underspin will get bit along rip rap when nothing else will.

15lb braid to 8lb leader of your choice.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 08:04 PM

Steel just go ahead and send me those Wiggle Warts because you won't have them too long on 4 lb. test

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 08:27 PM

Anybody use inline spinners?

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 08:44 PM

Anybody use inline spinners?

There are a few places where I fish small ponds from the bank and a Rooster Tail is all I take with me.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 08:56 PM

Sweet, what color?

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/03/20 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Grapevine, Bridgeport and Ray Roberts have snallmouth. I have 6lb 6oz smallmouth out of Bridgeport and lots of 3lb plus ckass smallmouth out there.

Had 2 5s at Texoma weekend before last. PK was stacked again this year. Hopefully they keep adding them.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 01:06 AM

Can you drop shot on riprap? I was gonna try by using cheap split shots weights so if you loose some who cares, seams like it would work with the bait above the rocks? Who knows?

Yes you can. You will need a #1 mosquito hook with a 10 inch berkley red shad power worm fished on 2# test line. Do not fish it deeper than 3ft deep because they say that red disappears after that. If the Berkley is too expensive for you go to a Zoom Ole monster in the same color, although since color doesn't matter just pick any worm in any color whatever one is the cheapest. Use a cheap 3/32 oz weight for this set up. Throw it on a crappie rod and have fun with it.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 01:08 AM

Sweet, what color?

Color doesn't matter..... did you forget that already?

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Sweet, what color?

Fish are color blind but can see any line over 4# test.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Sweet, what color?

Fish are color blind but can see any line over 4# test.

Yea.....according to Goober...LOL

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 01:18 AM

Sweet, what color?

Usually coachdog.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 02:16 AM

Color I meant pattern craw or shad?

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 02:26 AM

Color I meant pattern craw or shad?

What is the difference. The color of the bait is what defines the pattern. You will never see a brown and orange Shad or a pearl crawfish.
So color does make a difference.
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow
Square bill shad colored crank bait or a jerk bait will get it done.

+1

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 04:14 PM

Jerk baits on riprap? No. 7 rapala 0 to 4 ft deep diving rapala for 4 to 8 feet and a count down rapala for deep water all shad patterns

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 04:17 PM

There’s many colors in a shad pattern white, pearl, chart, blue back etc. and many colors in a crawdad pattern, green craw, brown craw, red craw, black and blue or black and orange etc.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 04:44 PM

Strike King 1.5 square bill... Spro Rock Crawler 55 for those deeper fish... Dan

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 05:34 PM

So this thread is just a chance to ask a rhetorical question and then disagree with all the answers...is that correct?

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones
So this thread is just a chance to ask a rhetorical question and then disagree with all the answers...is that correct?

He is just trolling, usually gets a full livewell every post.

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 06:51 PM

That’s your interpretation! Just my opinions and experiences don’t need any response, I’m good!

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 06:52 PM

Don’t go with the flow, I go my own way and don’t care what you do!

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 07:02 PM

What’s the purpose of a forum anyway?

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones

He is just trolling, usually gets a full livewell every post.

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

I see what you mean. Dude asks a question and then keeps responding to himself about nonsense and claims he’s not interested in other opinions. Seems like some wiring got disconnected somewhere! I’ll ignore his future clickbait.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 11:46 PM

Jerk baits on riprap? No. 7 rapala 0 to 4 ft deep diving rapala for 4 to 8 feet and a count down rapala for deep water all shad patterns

Jerkbait won the Bassmaster Classic on rip rap. I think what you are missing is that just because you are fishing rip rap, doesn’t mean you must bang/deflect off the rocks to catch em. Troll on newbie! If you would just listen on here you might just learn something.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/04/20 11:53 PM

There’s many colors in a shad pattern white, pearl, chart, blue back etc. and many colors in a crawdad pattern, green craw, brown craw, red craw, black and blue or black and orange etc.

But you don't believe color matters. You contradict yourself. BTW no response needed....LOL

You say you go your own way different from everyone else, so why are you asking questions on here and then disagree with the responses you get??? You are WAY out there in fairy tale land.

I think it is funny, you say you have no confidence in Senkos, you have never caught a fish on a drop shot and you have problems catching fish on a crank bait, although according to you,,, You know how to fish better than anyone on here and better than the pros. You crack me up, you really do. Thanks for the laugh.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/05/20 12:28 AM

I thought Goober got banned or was it just a little time out.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/05/20 12:41 PM

reburg on 2#test, hang it in the rocks and watch out.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/05/20 03:14 PM

But you don't believe color matters. You contradict yourself. BTW no response needed....LOL

You say you go your own way different from everyone else, so why are you asking questions on here and then disagree with the responses you get??? You are WAY out there in fairy tale land.

I think it is funny, you say you have no confidence in Senkos, you have never caught a fish on a drop shot and you have problems catching fish on a crank bait, although according to you,,, You know how to fish better than anyone on here and better than the pros. You crack me up, you really do. Thanks for the laugh.

My guess is he couldn't catch crabs in a whore house in Tiajuana
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/05/20 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA

My guess is he couldn't catch crabs in a whore house in Tiajuana

No need to get his sister involved in this!

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/05/20 03:24 PM

Such a friendly forum too!

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/05/20 04:25 PM

I never said color never matters, I asked a question, does color matter, and gave my opinion based on my experience, I never said it does not matter, sometimes it does as in fishing a frog, or snake they should be white cause a frog and snake are white on the bottom and you should imitate that, but you don’t have too, it’s a free country, you can fish a black frog and get bit, but I think the action and color should match the hatch!

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/08/20 07:53 PM

A 1 inch white curly tail grub or a 1/8 oz or smaller white maribou will catch fish when all else fails, not only on riprap either
Posted By: n_texas_basser

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/09/20 04:42 PM

A jerkbait or a-rig, even in our Texas lakes that may be stained, water clarity is almost always good enough to throw a jerkbait here and can draw some aggressive strikes.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/09/20 09:24 PM

A small spinnerbait with the skirt removed and a shad body hard to beat!

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/09/20 11:23 PM

I never said color never matters, I asked a question, does color matter, and gave my opinion based on my experience, I never said it does not matter, sometimes it does as in fishing a frog, or snake they should be white cause a frog and snake are white on the bottom and you should imitate that, but you don’t have too, it’s a free country, you can fish a black frog and get bit, but I think the action and color should match the hatch!

Match the hatch doesn't always work. Bass were schooling chasing shad so I threw a pearl white super fluke and did not get a bite until I switched to the same bait in watermelon seed. Then it was on.

Re: Best Fall baits for riprap? - 11/10/20 02:58 PM

That’s just queer but sometimes different is what works!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum