Texas Fishing Forum

Cold weather gloves

Posted By: JoseyWales34

Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:31 PM

What is everyone using to keep their hands warm during the cold mornings?

My son is fishing the HS circuit and we're looking for something that is functional but will keep our hands at least kinds warm.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:45 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:47 PM

I wear something like...

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p...6.html?start=0&breadCrumbLast=Gloves

I'm a HS captain and know it's going to cold for those HS students. I layer the gloves above on top of my sun gloves and they work. They are not 100% great, but it's better than no protection. They will allow the angler to cast without sacrificing feel.

PS: Take them off before dipping into the water to get a fish.
cheers
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:47 PM

I use a pair of fingerless gloves with a mitten flip-over covering. They’re big and insulated, so they keep me warm, but with the mitt flipped up and back, my fingers are free. Use them in the Rockies when I fly fish in winter too. Got them in Walmart for $5 on clearance a couple years ago.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:48 PM

fleece lined winter golf gloves like above. try a search, its been on here many times.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:53 PM

Seirus waterproof with nitrile underneath. Keeping them dry is the key
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:54 PM

Also hand warmers in pockets
Posted By: Barn

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:55 PM

These do nice job and are inexpensive. They will get a little wet but you can shake out most of the water or swap out between pairs.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-fingerless-fleece-gloves

I have these as well and prefer when it's cold and wet.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/glacier-glove-alaska-river-fingerless-gloves

Either way I like the finger less style as it's easier to re-tie baits and my finger tips really don't get cold.

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:57 PM

make sure they are breathable.

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:58 PM

glacier gloves suck.

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 01:58 PM

wool and leather breathe. rubber doesnt.
Posted By: James P.

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 02:00 PM

Seal skin

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 02:07 PM

they are the worst
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 02:22 PM

This is what I do. Buy these in bulk for less than $2 a pair. Cut the tip of the thumb, forefinger, and middle finger out. Fish with them until they start to get damp then throw them in the floor of the boat and change em out. These work as well for me as the more expensive gloves at 1/10 the cost.

https://www.amazon.com/ABC-Pack-Breathable-Protective-Industrial/dp/B07Z3MFTYR/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1ZOHZQ1I593HN&dchild=1&keywords=cotton+jersey+gloves+for+men&qid=1603981082&sprefix=cotten+jersey+gloves%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-6

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 02:24 PM

curious nobody mentioned the Moritz gloves.
Posted By: Big Sumo

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 03:45 PM

My son and I both use these. Our fingers do not get cold and like others have said, it allows us to re tie and cast easily.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 03:49 PM

I use the Ken A solution by keeping multiple packs of the cheap cotton gloves available and switching out as needed.

Having worked with Casey on multiple tournament projects I eventually acquired many pairs of the Moritz gloves and used them or gave them to others. At one RHBC club tournament in early February it was unexpectedly brutal cold and several members forgot gloves - they sure appreciated the fact that I had multiple pairs to hand out and did not completely freeze all while looking at that Moritz logo. One of the best swag products for usefulness, uniqueness and Sales ROI that I know of.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 05:45 PM

I've never found a perfect solution. Depending on my style of fishing, I either go with the guide wear gloves shown above or Simms pro dry wool gloves. Sometimes both.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 05:50 PM

I take the toe warmers that have the adhesive backs and wrap them around the rod grips.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 06:42 PM

I second the fingerless Glacier Gloves.

The neoprene palm gives a good grip and the fleece upper keeps you warm even when wet - like wool.

Don't know if they're the "best", but definitely the best value per dollar. They keep my hands warm into the 20s. I'll wear full finger Goretex gloves when running.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 04champ
I second the fingerless Glacier Gloves.

The neoprene palm gives a good grip and the fleece upper keeps you warm even when wet - like wool.

Don't know if they're the "best", but definitely the best value per dollar. They keep my hands warm into the 20s. I'll wear full finger Goretex gloves when running.

I’ll add that the Glacier Glove with the “flip backs” are good too. Allow for fingers to thaw while moving spots.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 11:34 PM

I take my cues from the Texas Hammer and just wear the brown cotton gloves and pull them off with my teeth to lip Dawnkeys.
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/29/20 11:56 PM

Ken A doesn't fish when it's cold out?
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/30/20 03:08 AM

I just bought a pair of AFTCO's to try but haven't been out with them.

I have a pair of Cabela's Guide mitts to wear if it is really cold but just for moving between places. cheers
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/30/20 03:19 AM

Have used the open cuff brown jersey gloves with the red inside for years they work great and come off very easy when needed. Am gonna order a pair of the Fish Monkey gloves this week. $60.00, they better be the real deal.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/30/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Barn
These do nice job and are inexpensive. They will get a little wet but you can shake out most of the water or swap out between pairs.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-fingerless-fleece-gloves

I have these as well and prefer when it's cold and wet.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/glacier-glove-alaska-river-fingerless-gloves

Either way I like the finger less style as it's easier to re-tie baits and my finger tips really don't get cold.

These are what I use. I have two pair of each in my boat if one gets wet I switch out gloves.
Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/30/20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Big Sumo
My son and I both use these. Our fingers do not get cold and like others have said, it allows us to re tie and cast easily.
[Linked Image]

These are what I use as well..

Good Luck on finding them, since Bass Pro bought Cabelas guess Guidewear is being phased out.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/30/20 03:18 PM

Fish Monkey just came out with waterproof gloves and I bought a pair. will get to try them out this week. You can check them out at Tackle Warehouse.
After buying and trying gloves for the last 45 years and not finding anything that really works I figure what's one more try. Also you can put handwarmers in palm
of gloves.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/30/20 03:20 PM

Yes, it's a shame what has happened to many of the Guidewear products.
Looks like the gloves are available online, not sure about in store availability.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/30/20 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by KenTx1962
Ken A doesn't fish when it's cold out?

He used to!
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Cold weather gloves - 10/30/20 03:23 PM

When it’s really cold Neoprene gloves with the thumb tip cut off. Left index finger tip as well. You can wear lattes gloves under these if need me but I never have had to. One trick I learned from bow hunting is hand warmers on your wrists tucked into the glove not just in your pockets.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum